New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Very Large Array (VLA) Advice

Tsmith318
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Very Large Array (VLA) Advice

Heading to New Mexico next week to visit bosque del Apache. I've seen some pictures of the VLA at night and it looks like a great opportunity for some star trails. I was wondering if anybody here has advice on photographing the VLA at night? Where are good places to go and do I need to call ahead to get permission to visit at night, for example?

Thanks,
Tyler

Dec 11, 2014 at 04:55 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Very Large Array (VLA) Advice

The central area is closed at twilight, so shooting a large concentration of dishes sounds unlikely. The antenna configuration varies quite a bit throughout the year. Sometimes they're all bunched near the center, sometimes they are spread all over. If some of the antenna are set up near the various roads in the area, you could certainly get at least one in the foreground.

There's a pull-off on 50 with a pad just a few hundred feet to the north. If this is occupied, you're in good shape. This location also offers a good wide-view of the center of the array.

NM 52 and the old Hwy 50 offer access to the eastern arm.

Dec 11, 2014 at 07:36 PM
ryoung

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Very Large Array (VLA) Advice

See the link for configurations: https://science.nrao.edu/facilities/vla/proposing/configpropdeadlines

If you want them all bunched together, configuration D or DnC is when you want to go. They also have free tours, check the website for times/days.

I went there many years ago, planning on going back soon. Actually, I have been dying to go back soon. If you are driving a long ways from the south, Otero and Boyd NM have some amazing landscape shots too with the desert and mountain ranges.

Dec 11, 2014 at 09:07 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Very Large Array (VLA) Advice

Good food (better than anything in Socorro, IMO) and friendly folks close by in Magdalena

http://www.bearmountaincoffeehouse.com/Bearmountain/Bear.html

Dec 12, 2014 at 01:55 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Very Large Array (VLA) Advice

Hello?
OP?
Are you still alive? Did you ever make it?

Dec 27, 2014 at 03:52 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.