Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Overly obsessed with LR lens correction/perspective adjustments?

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Overly obsessed with LR lens correction/perspective adjustments?

John Caldwell wrote:
I correct none of my photos. Trade one problem for another. I never shoot architecture, however.

Ah John,
Every photo you've ever taken either digital or film has been "corrected." If you just shoot JPEG then the corrections were determined by men in Japan wearing white coats. (Same with RAW converters.) If film then by the decisions of the negative developer or whomever did the prints. A "no correction" photo does not exist.

It appears you are saying that you blindly accept the "corrections" made by unknown others who were not involved in your photographic process. It also suggests that you are abrogating your rights and responsibilities as a artist to express the mode, moment, momentum, feeling, presence of your intersection with light/time/space - as if somehow dues ex machina the imaged appeared.

To me and I believe most photographers, the act of intervening in the light/time/space continuum is why we take pictures and why we labor to "correct" the results so as to express - to the best of our imperfect abilities - "what it was when I was there."

Robert

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Overly obsessed with LR lens correction/perspective adjustments?

I once said of Ansel Adams ... "He Cheats !!!" to my instructor.
I was young.

Robert is correct in that even if it is a film emulsion and (standard) applied chemistry, the profile diff's between Ektachrome, Kodachrome and Fujichrome are strikingly different even though the photographer himself makes "no corrections". AA (and others) of course is widely known for having the post-capture processing as part of the process of image making. The use of positives removes that from the photographer's hands (until you decide to print from the chromes), but it does not negate its validity.

Whether it is chrome, color or BW print, or digital ... the recorded capture and subsequent processing (in camera, E-6, C41, in PS, etc.) can be "standard" as defined by others, or as defined by the photographer ... which is the entire premise for digital / raw.

Use of a T&S lens or post-capture corrections are just another attribute in which we make decisions regarding our images. WB, contrast, sharpness, luminance, levels, gamma, etc. are all varying attributes of decision ... BY SOMEONE @ either us or not us, either as part of the capture or part of the post-capture processing. Even a Polaroid is a decision made by someone, and that would be a decision of us to defer much of the decision making to others.

I shot chrome so I could have a "What Ya Shot, Was What Ya Got" experience. It worked for me, but the truth is as Robert states that it only meant that "my hands" weren't directly involved in the process beyond basic camera controls. Of course, when you are making lighting decisions and/or film choice decisions ...

I think the most telling tale on the matter is that of forensic photography ... there is no such thing as an actual image of exactly what existed (albeit some pretty darn close representations), rather an effort to make a fair representation that conveys the message appropriately / illustratively. To me that represents the ends of the spectrum from technical/forensic to artistic, with each having an "inexact" replication understood as a condition of the image.

If not correcting doesn't impede your message, then "no blood, no foul", but that's not to say that images and their messages can't be improved or strengthened via correction (or other adjustment).

How "inexact" do you want your image to be (or how much does it really matter to be) ... your image, your message, your call.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Overly obsessed with LR lens correction/perspective adjustments?

OntheRez wrote:
I run DXO Viewpoint as an Lr plugin (highly recommended) when needed, which with things like a 14mm is always. Excellent tool. No I don't do it every time but do when distortion detracts from the image.

Rober

+1

Note that ViewPoint (now version 2) can just straighten things as Nathan has done, or can do it is a way that leaves some distortion is but also removes much of the 30lb weight gain from people in the corners of wide angle images. I expect that Ps will do that too when I eventually learn how to drive it.

- Alan

Dec 14, 2014 at 02:33 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.