New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Search by Member Name

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Search by Member Name

I find frustrating the fact that there is no means by which we can search by member name. Unless we encounter a photograph or comment posted by a member we cannot access his or her profile. It seems silly that we should have to pour through forums and threads in order to find someone. The subject comes up because one of our members wife died. That fact was announced on a thread in the Nikon forum but there is no way to contact the person and express condolences because I can't find him on the thread without getting my pick and shovel. This simply doesn't make any sense Fred. How about a directory for the site so we can find someone if we need/want to? Seems simple enough...

Needless to say, I love what you've done with the site but this seems a glaring omission.

Dec 11, 2014 at 02:28 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Search by Member Name

CGrindahl wrote:
I find frustrating the fact that there is no means by which we can search by member name. Unless we encounter a photograph or comment posted by a member we cannot access his or her profile. It seems silly that we should have to pour through forums and threads in order to find someone. The subject comes up because one of our members wife died. That fact was announced on a thread in the Nikon forum but there is no way to contact the person and express condolences because I can't find him on the thread without getting my pick
...Show more

Curtis,

Have you overlooked this?

Dec 11, 2014 at 03:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Search by Member Name

I think Mitesh must have used some extension tubes on his 800/5.6L IS to get those example images.

Here's what it looks like on a real computer.

Dec 11, 2014 at 03:43 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Search by Member Name

Jim,

Just enlarged to make it easier for the senior citizens of FM to see

Dec 11, 2014 at 03:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Search by Member Name

Dec 11, 2014 at 05:02 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Search by Member Name

It works. Thanks guys and thanks Fred. I guess I have to pay closer attention to the Forum and Miscellaneous section to keep up with new features. A directory would still be nice but this gets me where I want to go.

And for the record... I'm 73 years and still shooting without glasses with manual focus Nikon lenses with the stock viewfinder screen on my D700. You must be talking about folks who shoot AF...

Dec 11, 2014 at 09:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Search by Member Name

CGrindahl wrote:
... I'm 73 years and still shooting...Nikon lenses..

Figures.

Dec 11, 2014 at 09:08 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Search by Member Name

Its like playing sudoku to keep the mind sharp Jim... manual focus maintains visual acuity... I think.

I passed my driving test a few months ago and they tell me my vision is fine. I was relieved since apart for over the counter reading glasses I've never used glasses and am happy not doing so.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Search by Member Name

Dec 14, 2014 at 04:15 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Search by Member Name

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The above Search method does not work if the member has not made a post.

I recall once being able to access the complete alphabetical list of all FM members, but don't recall how I did it or if it can still be done.

Dec 22, 2014 at 09:55 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Search by Member Name

That is really what I was looking for... more a directory than a search function. One of the problems with the search function is if you don't spell the username exactly right, you're out of luck. Of course, not everyone one this thread is prepared to use their real name. It would be nice if users were obliged to give their full names and then those names would be included in a directory, cross-referenced with usernames. But search by username is better than nothing at all...

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Search by Member Name

I guess no "directory" feature is available.

Jan 02, 2015 at 03:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Search by Member Name

Imagemaster wrote:
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The above Search method does not work if the member has not made a post.

Correct. By coincidence, I encountered this today.

Jan 02, 2015 at 07:14 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Search by Member Name

Problem is if someone searches on my username they'll get a message that says there are 20 users with that username and the search needs to be refined. There is no refining to do. The username IS "Mickey".

Jan 03, 2015 at 11:17 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Search by Member Name

Mickey wrote:
Problem is if someone searches on my username they'll get a message that says there are 20 users with that username and the search needs to be refined. There is no refining to do. The username IS "Mickey".

Yes, I found that very annoying also. I did not think there could be more than one with the "same" username.

Jan 03, 2015 at 12:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Search by Member Name

Mickey wrote:

I agree. The search app needs an ambiguity resolution process, with user input. Simply list the matches and let the user pick. OTOH, if it's a complete match, then go straight to it (and maybe say there are more possibilities).

Jan 04, 2015 at 08:29 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Search by Member Name

mitesh wrote:
Jim,

Just enlarged to make it easier for the senior citizens of FM to see

I resemble that remark my friend!! Happy 2015!
Dan

Jan 04, 2015 at 03:57 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Search by Member Name

Yeah, phrase should be the same as exact match.

EBH

Jan 04, 2015 at 10:14 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.