Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lightroom 5.7 is copying jpg files off camera instead of raw during teth...

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom 5.7 is copying jpg files off camera instead of raw during tethering.

Lightroom 5.7 is copying jpg files off camera instead of raw during tethering.

I shoot raw onto my CF card but jpg onto my SD card. After updating lightroom, it's now copying the jpg files instead of the raw files. This is particularly a problem because I save the jpeg files in medium resolution.

I can't find a configuration option to tell lightroom which card to use or which type of file to copy over during tethering.

If I disable the writing of the jpg files and only write raw files to the CF card, it will transfer the raw files like it used to do.

Thoughts?

Dec 11, 2014 at 01:06 PM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom 5.7 is copying jpg files off camera instead of raw during tethering.

Lightroom's tethering just takes what the camera gives it.

If any configuration is possible, it needs to be done on the camera, not in Lightroom. Not knowing what brand or body we're talking about, it's hard to offer any more advice than that.

If it's a (capable) Canon, split up the raws and JPEGs across cards and switch your playback card to wherever the raws are being written. That should send them over the wire. If all else fails, fire up EOS Utility and have Lightroom use a watched folder instead.

Dec 11, 2014 at 01:30 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom 5.7 is copying jpg files off camera instead of raw during tethering.

I haven't seen this happen while tethering my camera directly to a computer since I don't shoot both RAW and jpeg. But ever since the up grade to 5.7 Light Room has been freezing up while working with files. This never happened to me before the up grade. Any suggestions for that?

Dec 11, 2014 at 01:45 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom 5.7 is copying jpg files off camera instead of raw during tethering.

colinm wrote:
Lightroom's tethering just takes what the camera gives it.

If any configuration is possible, it needs to be done on the camera, not in Lightroom. Not knowing what brand or body we're talking about, it's hard to offer any more advice than that.

If it's a (capable) Canon, split up the raws and JPEGs across cards and switch your playback card to wherever the raws are being written. That should send them over the wire. If all else fails, fire up EOS Utility and have Lightroom use a watched folder instead.

As I mentioned in the original posting, I'm already writing raw to the CF card and jpg to the SD card. It's a canon 5d III.

Camera configuration for file writing is the same across upgrades of lightroom so I don't see how the camera can be blamed for this.

Dec 11, 2014 at 02:11 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom 5.7 is copying jpg files off camera instead of raw during tethering.

I never have the luxury of tethering a camera in my line of work so I can't answer your problem directly. Several thoughts come to mind: (1)Remove the CF card and ingest with a USB reader with USB-3 this is reasonably quick. (2) It could be possible that you have the SD card set as the default. I've done this a time or two with unpredicted results. I work more with a 1Dx and know that it is fairly easy to get output directed to the wrong card. Perhaps this is your situation also.

If you don't need to tether, I'd strongly recommend getting a reader and putting your CF card in. Near foolproof as long as the card and the reader are good. If you need to tether then my vote would be to examine the camera settings carefully as it is the more likely place for the problem. (Though having said that Lr is it's own swamp.)

Robert

Dec 11, 2014 at 02:21 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom 5.7 is copying jpg files off camera instead of raw during tethering.

OntheRez wrote:
I never have the luxury of tethering a camera in my line of work so I can't answer your problem directly. Several thoughts come to mind: (1)Remove the CF card and ingest with a USB reader with USB-3 this is reasonably quick. (2) It could be possible that you have the SD card set as the default. I've done this a time or two with unpredicted results. I work more with a 1Dx and know that it is fairly easy to get output directed to the wrong card. Perhaps this is your situation also.

If you don't need to tether, I'd
...Show more

what do you mean ingest with usb reader? When I am on location, i tether to a laptop. When I get home, I put the card in my reader and copy to my main editing desktop computer which gets multiple backups made of it. I like to have the raw files on the notebook in case I need to do remote editing and as one extra source of backup and in case something happens to the CF card.

I will examine the settings. I didn't realize that the 5d had the concept of a default card. If so, I suppose it's possible that it accidentally got bumped.

Dec 11, 2014 at 03:00 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom 5.7 is copying jpg files off camera instead of raw during tethering.

Check
http://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/2013/01/tip-optimize-canon-5d-markiii-write-speeds-avoid-sd-cards/

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54474278 <-- I think this one will fix your issue.

5th reply on this thread.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3192547

Dec 11, 2014 at 03:10 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom 5.7 is copying jpg files off camera instead of raw during tethering.

Sunny Sra wrote:
Check
http://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/2013/01/tip-optimize-canon-5d-markiii-write-speeds-avoid-sd-cards/

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54474278 <-- I think this one will fix your issue.

5th reply on this thread.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3192547

not sure that solves anything. My camera is always writing raw images to the CF card which is configured as card [1] and it's always writing jpg images to the sd card which is configured as card [2].

I think the issues you are referencing are an issue when you when you have your cards configured to roll over from one to another. I don't have mine configured that way.

Mine is configured to write raw to CF and medium jpg to SD and it has always worked fine. The issue is that with both cards in the camera, lightroom is transferring the jpgs off the sd card even though the raw images are being written to the CF card.

Dec 12, 2014 at 09:53 PM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom 5.7 is copying jpg files off camera instead of raw during tethering.

Hi jzucker - You may have come across a bug that was introduced. I could also be some setting that got inadvertently changed (maybe even in your camera).

I suggest to determine if this is a bug:
- roll back to LR 5.6 (can be manually installed) with no changes to anything else and see if all works properly with the exact images and cards in your camera
- then roll forward to LR 5.7 and verify that if fails with absolutely nothing else changing.

If you can reproduce as indicated above working in 5.6 and failing in 5.7 with everything else held constant you have likely discovered a bug which would need to be reported to Adobe with information about the "lightswitch" test you did that shows going from working to failing with no other changes.

Of course if you see it fail in 5.6 or start working in 5.7 then something else is going on.

Just a suggestion on approach to narrow down the source of you issue. Hope this helps.

Dec 13, 2014 at 03:01 PM
SteveAdams

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom 5.7 is copying jpg files off camera instead of raw during tethering.

I had the same problem with my panasonic camcorder, It can be super annoying. these connectivity issues can become a pain. But restarting the cam actually solves out the problem. But it is still waste of time not a perfect solution. I have contacted panasonic support and they say that they will support in a while. I actually regret not choosing a wifi camcorder by following this guide.

Jul 29, 2017 at 04:42 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.