New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Client vs. Photographer

Sean Reagan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Client vs. Photographer

So recently I've been following this band around... I have built up quite a portfolio using them and some other bands, concerts, and events. The band members and I recently had a little mix up. I began reporting the images of mine on their Facebook page(s). (Keep on mind this is all done for free; so I hope you feel me on this one) Before this all happened I did a photo shoot of the whole band. They were going to pay me for that one, but they have yet to get the money. (Or so they say) They then voted to not use me anymore. That's not what I wanted to happen. So even though I did all of this for free and I shouldn't really apologize, I did anyway. They then forgave me for it and said we can move on. To top that off they said they'd like to do more photo shoots with me, and for me to photograph them even more at their shows. Before I do anything though I want to know how to avoid all of the negative from happening again. Thanks!

Dec 11, 2014 at 08:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Client vs. Photographer

I suggest two things: first, don't post any images of them anywhere without their permission; and second, don't take any more photos at all until they pay for the earlier band photos.

Dec 11, 2014 at 08:10 AM
Sean Reagan

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Client vs. Photographer

What should I do in regards to the future? Such as concerts, events, etc? Do you think I should make them sign a contract listing out everything? Should I just charge for actual photoshoots if they are going to stay with me?

Dec 11, 2014 at 02:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Client vs. Photographer

I think step one is to see if they really respect your work. That would be when they pay for that first shoot.

After that (or even if they don't pony up), you have two classic approaches: get them to pay for your time or get them to pay for your photos.

In the first case, you reach an agreement that they will pay you $X to photograph a performance (for your time and expenses), and then you give them a bunch of excellent photos. In the second case, you go on your own dime and take lots of photos. Then you sell some of those photos to the band. In both cases, you should remember to include your PP time (which would probably be minimal) in the 'before' or 'after' prices. In both cases, you own copyright on the photos.

Regardless, the first step is to get past step one. If they won't pay you for a shoot that you had an agreement that they would pay for, then they're just stringing you along.

P.S. I expect the "per performance" fee schedule would be a good way to start.

Dec 11, 2014 at 08:15 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Client vs. Photographer

Are they being paid for what they do?

Are you?

Dec 11, 2014 at 09:12 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Client vs. Photographer

Remind them that your work is just like their songs. Both are protected by copyright.
Either get paid, work out a trade, or find another gig.

Dec 13, 2014 at 03:23 AM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Client vs. Photographer

Me personally sounds more hassle than its been worth, I would just move on personally With no hard feelings of course.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:46 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Client vs. Photographer

Posting free pictures on their website was foolish. They will continue to use you for free until you get it. If you want to avoid "the negative again" understand how the business end of photography works.

Dec 13, 2014 at 09:17 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Client vs. Photographer

You are stressing about not getting work from a band who isn't paying you, and wants you to continue to work for free?

While you're at it, my lawn needs to be cut, house needs to be painted, and, I need a new roof too. Please come over and continue to work for free.

Dec 14, 2014 at 07:52 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.