New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Concert Shots, Trombone Shorty in Baltimore

pepperman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Concert Shots, Trombone Shorty in Baltimore

This was a really fun show with some really challenging light. I got some decent shots but my success ratio was not what I would have liked. All in All I thought that it was a good night!

Dec 11, 2014 at 04:48 AM
pepperman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Concert Shots, Trombone Shorty in Baltimore

Lots of band members to get.

Dec 11, 2014 at 04:50 AM
boxman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Concert Shots, Trombone Shorty in Baltimore

Cool concert shots. I like one and three, plus the fisheye shot. Did you have a pass to take your camera in? I've wanted to take mine to a few but was never certain of the camera policy.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Werne1nm
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Concert Shots, Trombone Shorty in Baltimore

Love Trombone Shorty! Great musician.

Dec 11, 2014 at 02:10 PM
pepperman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Concert Shots, Trombone Shorty in Baltimore

Unless it is a festival, for me, pre-approved media access is the only way.

Dec 12, 2014 at 07:05 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Concert Shots, Trombone Shorty in Baltimore

All very good. The drummer shot really stand out.

Dec 12, 2014 at 07:33 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Concert Shots, Trombone Shorty in Baltimore

pepperman wrote:
This was a really fun show with some really challenging light.

Presumably because of the LED stagelights? Or what is the changes and intensity.

Regarding LED's, I have grown to hate the proliferation of them at concerts and events.

They are among the ugliest lights devised by man with a limited spectrum that destroys human skin tones - especially when you get light techs who think cycling them through the deepest reds and blues looks cool.

Dec 12, 2014 at 07:50 AM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Concert Shots, Trombone Shorty in Baltimore

Paul Mo wrote:
Presumably because of the LED stagelights? Or what is the changes and intensity.

Regarding LED's, I have grown to hate the proliferation of them at concerts and events.

They are among the ugliest lights devised by man with a limited spectrum that destroys human skin tones - especially when you get light techs who think cycling them through the deepest reds and blues looks cool.

Have to agree a 100% with that ! I get so fed up with these lights it not funny anymore. On the other had i've covered shows with more traditional lighting where the light tech didn't know what they did at all and ended up shooting strong backlights for the entire show. You know so much light behind the musicians they all become silhouettes and trying to expose for them just washes out everything else ?

But back to these shots as challenging as the lighting conditions might have been i think you did a great job. Most of all you were able to get the viewer right in the middle of things and i for one am just captivated with the stage and performers with all the nice visible details. Lots of ambiance, colours and i can almost hear the music. Wish they would give a show here in Montreal, i would sure go see them. Must be quite different with dominant trombone sound, something we rarely hear around here anyways.

Great job, thanks for sharing !

Dec 12, 2014 at 08:05 AM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Concert Shots, Trombone Shorty in Baltimore

Great series! +1 on the drummer capture.

Dec 12, 2014 at 08:14 PM
Dan Knowlton

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Concert Shots, Trombone Shorty in Baltimore

Paul Mo wrote:
I just shot a couple of Christmas Shows lit with LED's - HORRIBLE lights! These had the benefit of making people with darker skin greenish while making light skinned people magenta!

Yech!

Dan

Dec 15, 2014 at 04:52 AM
pepperman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Concert Shots, Trombone Shorty in Baltimore

LED's are really a challenge, the Red's are REALLY red and the Blues are REALLY Blue! White Balance used to be pretty standard at a concert, between 3200k and 3800k! Now it just means that as a photographer we must be able to adjust on the fly a lot more! I believe that for anyone who also shoots wildlife this challenge is a little less since that is being done all of the time! I find myself having to really think while shooting concerts whereas I used to just get in a groove and pay more attention to the moments that I wanted to capture! LED's are not going away since that are so much cooler and last so much longer. I find the shadows to be the hardest since when they take on the color of the LED's it is very difficult to correct.

Dec 15, 2014 at 07:34 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.