Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

After getting a B&W Pro Circular Polarizer nano filter and using it this fall for some fall foliage photography, I was absolutely amazed at the difference a really good filter makes over my Canon L glass. I should have done this years ago. So I decided to get B&W Pro Nano UV filters for all of my L lenses and not take them off.

However, in reading some reviews on B&H's website, I saw that some pros were saying that with modern DSLR cameras, you don't need to get the UV filters, so you can get the B&W Pro CLEAR glass filters instead. They're a little cheaper, which I don't care so much about, but I want to make sure that this is the right decision before I change my order!

So what is better, given that the B&W filters are exactly the same except one has a UV layer and the other is completely clear glass? An important note - I don't plan to take these filters off when I use a circular polarizer!!! My understanding is that both filter types (UV or Clear) are meant to be kept on when other filters are used, such as a polarizer.

What do you think? Thanks.
Bill

Dec 10, 2014 at 01:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

if you are going to use one which i do, these days go fore a quality multicoated clear filter. the UV qualities are of no purpose these days in digital. i always swap oy the CF for the protective filter when using it.

Dec 10, 2014 at 01:58 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

billsamuels wrote:
After getting a B&W Pro Circular Polarizer nano filter and using it this fall for some fall foliage photography, I was absolutely amazed at the difference a really good filter makes over my Canon L glass. I should have done this years ago. So I decided to get B&W Pro Nano UV filters for all of my L lenses and not take them off.

You're not making sense. A circular polarizer is...a polarizing filter. Meant to remove glare, etc. In some circumstances it will improve your image. A UV or a clear filter will, at best, not make your images worse.

UV and clear filters are used for "protection"- mechanical protection. Some of us believe this makes sense and others don't. I don't.

Cue the debate...

Dec 10, 2014 at 04:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

I have some B+W MRC UV and clear filters that I use for protecting my lenses when I'm shooting in a harsh environment, like a windy day at the beach or in the desert. I don't have a filter for each lens, only enough to cover the three or four lenses I might want to use in these conditions. I agree that clear makes more sense these days than UV.

Dec 10, 2014 at 04:37 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

1> if using a 'protective' filter I would take it off if mounting a CPL . risk of a reflection between the 2 filters and also on wider lenses you will risk vignetting .

2> I still dont get this idea that a filter offers much protection . they are very thin glass and are way more susceptible to damage from any impact than a front element ever is . if a filter breaks you are more likely to damage the front element from the broken glass than you would have been caused by the knock without a filter .

yes they are worth using in harsh environments like salt spray and sand ect where its easier to clean the filter than the front of the lens . but really dont think of them as offering alot of protection . the lens hood will offer alot more protection to your front element

Dec 10, 2014 at 04:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

I agree with Ian.

Here's some classic filter yes/no threads, including a paintball incident.

Paintball vs. lens +/- filter https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/745528/0&year=2009#6782336
UV filters, what do they do? https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/733298
Filter test: paintball shootout. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/460145
UV filter for paintball? https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/459673

Dec 10, 2014 at 04:46 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

Let me cue the debate. I was really impressed w/ B&W is what I was saying. I've always used Hoya and B&W is a big improvement that you can really see.

My sister and I was visiting a cave and she banged her Canon 50mm lens on a door moulding pretty hard and the UV filter broke, the front element did not. After that, I became an even bigger believer in that front filter!

My real question here is whether to get the CLEAR filter or the UV filter, or whether it makes a difference? If you believe B&H, it says that the UV filter removes the blue tint from UV, but reviews say that DSLR's today remove that blue tint for you and you don't need the UV filter, so just get Clear.

IS that true? Does it matter if you get the UV coating or the clear filter?

Oh yes, one last thing, the main reason I keep filters on the lens is so that I can keep the dirt off the element and on the filter so I don't scratch the element cleaning it. I'd rather replace the filter if I get dirt or sand on the filter than on the element.

Thanks.

Dec 10, 2014 at 05:04 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

billsamuels wrote:
Let me cue the debate. I was really impressed w/ B&W is what I was saying. I've always used Hoya and B&W is a big improvement that you can really see.

My sister and I was visiting a cave and she banged her Canon 50mm lens on a door moulding pretty hard and the UV filter broke, the front element did not. After that, I became an even bigger believer in that front filter!

but the front element would not have broken anyway . a filter is not a bullet proof vest . if you knock a lens and there is enough force to break the front element no filter on the front will save it . but the force needed to break that really thin piece of glass is way lower than the front element . you stand more chance of damaging the front element by trying to get rid of a broken filter than you ever do without it as the shards of glass will scratch the elemnet .

Oh yes, one last thing, the main reason I keep filters on the lens is so that I can keep the dirt off the element and on the filter so I don't scratch the element cleaning it. I'd rather replace the filter if I get dirt or sand on the filter than on the element.

Thanks.

unless you are cleaning off sand then a decent lens cloth and a blower will do the job the coating on the front of a lens is very robust .

Like i said above filters have their use . but leaving them can in some situations result in image degradation .
its a flat peice of glass and is way more susceptible to reflections and flare if a light source is in the frame .

Dec 10, 2014 at 05:32 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

can, shoulda, coulda, maybe?

Dec 10, 2014 at 06:29 PM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

Clear. I have never seen this rumored "image degradation" with any decent filter. I've never seen anyone post an example of this rumored "image degradation" either. If you feel you need one, go for it. I like B+W xs-pro Clear MRC-Nano filters. In addition to protecting (or not), they're waaay easier to clean than the front element of my lenses.

Dec 10, 2014 at 07:09 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

Is ghosting image degradation?

Take the filter off if you do night photography.

IMG_4247 by m.toyama, on Flickr

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:11 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

what make/model filter was that?

yes there are filters (less then adequate) that will cause an issue.

pulled this rather poor night shot from the trip archives with lots of point source lighting. flare?

Edited on Dec 11, 2014 at 09:08 AM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2014 at 08:53 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

If you look at Nikon lenses that cost $6,000 or more (MSRP), they all come with a protective glass element from the factory. The only one that the user can remove is on the 200-400 f4. I wonder if this just might indicate Nikon's position on this subject?

Dec 11, 2014 at 09:07 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

RoyC wrote:
If you look at Nikon lenses that cost $6,000 or more (MSRP), they all come with a protective glass element from the factory. The only one that the user can remove is on the 200-400 f4. I wonder if this just might indicate Nikon's position on this subject?

I agree with Nikon's position: if a protective glass element is needed, we will provide it and include it in the optical design.

No one ELSE seems to have noticed OP's mistaken thinking that a glass filter will IMPROVE images. I am willing to agree that protective filters do not usually (or maybe ever) degrade the image. I have noticed that they do lighten my wallet however.

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

yes, we must assume the worst. he was using the bottom of an old coke bottle as a protective filter previously. regretfully they are out there.

Dec 11, 2014 at 01:33 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

In looking at the description of the Hoya EVO UV lenses, they claim to allow 99.8% of the light rays through to the lens. If the filter is allowing 99.8% of the light to go through, then how would that degrade or interfere with the image? And don't forget that the lens itself is GLASS - lots and lots of glass! So I don't buy that a simple UV or even a clear filter will do a whole lot of interfering with the final image. And I really believe that the protection if offers to the lens outweighs the minor chance that it causes a ghost to appear in the photo.

My 0.02.

Dec 11, 2014 at 02:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

you want to minimize stacking to reduce the chance of internal reflections and possible vignetting

Dec 11, 2014 at 03:27 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

there is a thread somewhere here, where there are images posted at night with the UV and without. The UV causes glare.

I personally haven't used a UV filter since I had an Elan 7N in 2004.

Dec 12, 2014 at 01:04 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

Dustin Gent wrote:
there is a thread somewhere here, where there are images posted at night with the UV and without. The UV causes glare.

I personally haven't used a UV filter since I had an Elan 7N in 2004.

So I'm wondering if I got a CLEAR filter instead of the UV, would that not cause GLARE? Or do both cause glare and vignetting?

Dec 13, 2014 at 03:21 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · UV Filter or Clear Filter for protection of Lenses?

Lens hoods. Use them instead for protection. And they actually help your image, too.

John

Dec 13, 2014 at 07:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.