FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews:
Here are the latest reviews available for the new Sony Alpha a7II camera.
I will update this page as more reviews become available.

1. Luminous Landscape...

2. Chris and Jordan from TheCameraStoreTV
    Sony A7 Mark II Hands-On Field Test (Featuring Kyle Marquardt)

3. Gary Fong Shoots With The New Sony a7m2

Preorder links:
Sony Alpha a7II Mirrorless Digital Camera ($1,698)

B&H Photo | Adorama | Amazon

Dec 09, 2014 at 10:20 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

The LuLa image of IBIS and the Tamron 150-600 was impressive. Manual setting for long primes could be the way to go.

Dec 09, 2014 at 10:41 PM
princekiska

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

Is it possible to use of Leica lenses on this camera?
Thank you

Dec 10, 2014 at 07:29 PM
freddy_hayek

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

Was passing through NYC on my way to Europe and on my day in town visited B&H (a whole other story...what an extraordinarily efficient place, with overhead conveyors to shuffle your items through, lightening fast checkout....) and I handled an a7II that had just arrived as a demo an hour earlier. Even the sales guys hadn't seen one before. It is more solid in hand, slightly bigger in a good way. It had a Nikkor 50/1.2 AIS mounted on a Metabones adapter. Focus peaking worked like a charm as it has on the earlier alpha iterations, thou a higher rez display through the eyepiece would have been nice but it still makes the Leica EVF an amateurish joke. Didn't have time to see if the 5-axis worked as advertised but was able to focus the Nikkor @ ƒ/1.2 in a snap and the image taken without much thought to steadying the camera, was razor sharp, so I guess it worked.

Nice upgrade from a purely ergonomic standpoint. Bodes well for the anticipated pro-model a9.

Dec 10, 2014 at 07:34 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

princekiska wrote:
Is it possible to use of Leica lenses on this camera?
Thank you

Physically yes, with an adapter (both M and R), but it's likely to have the same sensitivity to corner smearing and colour cast on many wide angles M lenses as the A7. R lenses are no problem.

Dec 10, 2014 at 08:02 PM
shelt
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

Here are a few things I haven't seen the reviewers mention. I thought they're worth noting for prospective buyers:

1. The a7ii tilt screen has a frame built into the lower edge of the body. The screen folds into it. That means your screen no longer binds up against tripod mounting plates as was the case with the a7. I always had to tilt the a7 screen out a bit before tightening my tripod plate.

2. When you select an IBIS manual FL, it remembers it when you switch back and forth to an AF lens. Handy if you have a preferred MF lens. Unfortunately, the manual FL is not written to EXIF data...

3. The IBIS manual FL does not influence the minimum shutter speed when using AUTO ISO (ugghh). It still operates in "dumb" 1/60th mode.

4. The sensor reflection issue is dramatically improved from the a7 (see my other a7 vs a7ii rangefinder thread)

5. It appears that smearing and color shift issues with WA rangefinder lenses are almost identical to the a7 despite the improvements in sensor reflections.

6. The new metal mount is very tight with some of my lenses and adapters. It is much more solid -- no jiggling adapters any more.

Dec 17, 2014 at 06:26 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

Oh, that is a surprise! Sounds good to me, as the sensor reflection issue is my main beef with the A7. If Sony would fix the Auto-ISO implementation, I would be sorely tempted to update.

Dec 17, 2014 at 06:47 PM
glowrider
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

Just bought an A7ii, 16-35/4 and 70-200/4 today. What a revelation! The design is so much better than the A7 and compared to my Nikons, well, the A7ii looks like something the Nikon ate and left behind.

No hesitations, no buyers remorse. Haven't even shot the effin thing yet - batteries still charging! Good deal too - get the 2 yr body warranty for $150 and they gave me $250 in accessories (anything but glass). I got a bunch of batteries and chargers and a screen protector that I don't care for but it covered the last 10 bucks.

That's my complaint - in body charging? Seriously? Just another way for Sony to drain money from us. Oh, I had them price match B&H on the chargers too! Scoundrels!

Dec 17, 2014 at 08:27 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

glowrider wrote:
Just bought an A7ii, 16-35/4 and 70-200/4 today. What a revelation! The design is so much better than the A7 and compared to my Nikons, well, the A7ii looks like something the Nikon ate and left behind.

No hesitations, no buyers remorse. Haven't even shot the effin thing yet - batteries still charging! Good deal too - get the 2 yr body warranty for $150 and they gave me $250 in accessories (anything but glass). I got a bunch of batteries and chargers and a screen protector that I don't care for but it covered the last 10 bucks.

That's
...Show more

I just bought the exact same equipment and I feel exactly the same way!!!

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:20 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

Do the L-brackets for the A7 fit the A7 II? I don't personally care about the little doors on the left.

Dec 18, 2014 at 02:41 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

I upgraded my A7 to the A7II. What a difference! Some quick impressions:

- The A7II feels like a small tank. Great build quality, very sturdy (including the mount).
- Using quite heavy SLR lenses on it (like Zeiss ZE/ZF) feels so much better now. Much better balance, a better grip, no play in the mount,...
- The awful mushy A7 shutter button is gone. The new shutter button feels a LOT better.
- The new position of the shutter button is much better.
- The shutter sound is quite a bit quieter than the one from the A7. Because of the much sturdier body the shutter feels more damped. With the A7 you really feel the *slam*.
- The IBIS is great to have. I loved it on my ex-m4/3 cameras.
- The sensor reflections are greatly reduced. On par with my A7S now. This is a big deal to me, since it was my #1 frustration with the A7.

Sony did a really great job this time.
The only thing I don't like are the new front and back dials. They could've been a littlebit larger.

Dec 18, 2014 at 04:37 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

It seems like Sony has a winner in this one. A nice improvement over the first, for the most part it seems like improvements with just one or two small issues (biggest one seems to be the size/comfort of the twin dials). All at a competitive price point.

You know they have a solid product on their hands when most retailers are sold out of them and they're getting people who weren't really looking for an upgrade, to upgrade. I was content with getting the a6000 and waiting it out for the a7000/a9 next year and wasn't even looking to adding the a7ii to my bag, but after reading so many positive reviews and seeing that almost every one of my issues with the original a7 have been addressed, I've decided to pick one up, probably sell off all my APS-C glass for it and keep the a6000 body around to use with FE glass.

Dec 18, 2014 at 06:07 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

carstenw wrote:
Do the L-brackets for the A7 fit the A7 II? I don't personally care about the little doors on the left.

Guy reported that the RRS fits but blocks the battery door
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/615644-post84.html

Dec 18, 2014 at 09:12 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

Here's hoping for an A7rII!

Dec 18, 2014 at 09:45 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

To those who have one:

Is the shutter/rest of the buttons still over sensitive to switching off magnification? Does the rear dial still switch you to another picture while trying to navigate around a magnified view? How is start up time and shutter lag? Is image review still very slow?

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2014 at 09:52 AM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

A couple pet peeves that I haven't seen anyone mention yet:

1) Is the lag when switching between EVF and LCD reduced? The A7 is noticeably slower at this than any of my other cameras.
2) Is the proximity sensor for switching between EVF and LCD improved? On the A7 I found it to be overly sensitive, such that it was difficult to shoot at waist level using the tilt LCD because the EVF would always activate. The A6000 is much better in this regard.

Dec 18, 2014 at 02:27 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

"In stock, order sent to warehouse" are the words that put a smile on my face this morning.

A little bit larger, a little bit heavier, a little more solid, the shutter release in the right place, shutter-speed wheel in the right place, user-programmable IBIS... oh, man, this is going to be fun.

Dec 18, 2014 at 03:10 PM
shelt
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

One more thing not reported. The a7ii "Cleaning Mode" is completely different than the a7's. It feels like a machine gun going off in your hands! I assume they are using the IBIS motors to shake the sensor...

Dec 18, 2014 at 03:42 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

Beni wrote:
To those who have one:

Is the shutter/rest of the buttons still over sensitive to switching off magnification? Does the rear dial still switch you to another picture while trying to navigate around a magnified view? How is start up time and shutter lag? Is image review still very slow?

Thanks!

I haven't tested it yet but now that you mention it, I don't think it's nearly as sensitive in switching off magnification as my A7r was. In fact, in the short time with the camera, I don't recall losing magnification more than once or twice which was likely more me than being overly sensitive.

On the second question, yes, the rear dial at the top of the grip moves from pic to pic but the dial on back of the camera moves around the image.

Start up seems quick to me!

Dec 18, 2014 at 05:03 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Latest Sony Alpha a7II Reviews

freaklikeme wrote:
"In stock, order sent to warehouse" are the words that put a smile on my face this morning.

A little bit larger, a little bit heavier, a little more solid, the shutter release in the right place, shutter-speed wheel in the right place, user-programmable IBIS... oh, man, this is going to be fun.

Saw the same when I checked my order status, brought a smile to my face as well. Everything you wrote is the exact reason I got it as well. The a7 was nice but I always commented if it was slightly heavier it would feel better in the hand.

Dec 19, 2014 at 06:15 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.