Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Onsite printing- what printer should I rent?

Nikon_14
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Onsite printing- what printer should I rent?

I'm considering offering onsite printing as an add-on for extra margin. I'll be doing a trial run soon by renting a printer before buying one.

What are some printer types to look for or avoid? I'm guessing that it comes down to the best balance of:

- print quality
-speed
-ink cost
-reliability

Anything else I need to consider?

Dec 09, 2014 at 09:15 PM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Onsite printing- what printer should I rent?

No ink jet, thermosublimation is wht you need and want.

The DNP DS-40 is the workhorse for a lot of event photographers.
The DNP RX1 is cheaper and the media is cheaper too, but the paper feels flimsy

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM
DoubleDragon

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Onsite printing- what printer should I rent?

I can recommend the DS40. The print quality is good, and the color looks accurate. I'm generally pleased with the machine after printing a few thousand 4x6 prints over the last year. I haven't attempted to print at a live gig, but I eventually plan to use it for live printing.

It also can print 6x9, and additionally it will do the 2" wide by 6" long strips that typically output from a Photo Booth (by cutting a 4x6).

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Onsite printing- what printer should I rent?

Cool, I appreciate the input.

Any other opinions?

Dec 10, 2014 at 01:19 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Onsite printing- what printer should I rent?

I have done LOT of onsite printing, like Hundreds of 8x12 prints a day and I used inkjets. I presently own 16 of them and looked at Dye subs, again, about 12 months ago.
Like before, I cannot for the life of me understand why people use Dye subs.

I was having occasional trouble with my inkers when operating in 100% humidity environments. I spoke to some of the more popular Dye sub distributors and was told not only would they advise against operation in these environments and believed they would not operate satisfactorily , they would automatically reject any warranty claims. Certainly a very specific case but it was the only possible reason I had to go with a dye sub over an inker.

Few if indeed any of the detractors complaints I have found to be valid about inkers. I really think a lot of the recommendations are based more on elitist attitudes than practical considerations or indeed experience. I have done onsite printing in the worst of dust, heat and humidity for sports events, at indoor functions, and other hostile environments as well as just running the things flat out for pre printing jobs and the failure rates have been next to nothing. All my printers going back 6 years still work although I have worn out 3 print heads in that time.

As far as the parameters discussed:

- print quality

Inkers beat dye subs hands down. Resolution, Colour quality and balance, choice of media and finishes..... No contest.

-speed

A single $1500 Dye sub will beat most inkers in the larger print sizes.
If you buy say 3 $150 Inkers and print pool them, then you'll be well ahead of the dye subs both in speed and money left in your pocket.

-ink cost
I use aftermarket bulk ink systems which people that have never used them and manufacturers missing out on their literaly more expensive than Gold profits all carry on will kill your machine. I have used LITERALLY more than 50 litres of aftermarket ink ( I buy it in 1L bottles) and after 20K+ 8x12 prints have yet to have a print head failure caused by he ink.

An 8x12 print costs me under 16 Cents for ink and paper. I couldn't find a dye sub hat would produce that size print for under $2 and most were well over that.

-reliability

My inkers have been almost unfailingly reliable especially in light of the number of prints I have done.
The thing is though, I can easily take 3 machines with me without thinking about it. At $150 a throw, who cares if one falls over? I just go get another one. I did go to an event once and had problems I put down o the printers. Sent the Mrs to the local office supply joint and she bought another one. Turned out the cable was faulty and the printer was fine but who can afford to take spare Dye subs with them or just go out and buy another one if a dye sub falls over mid job...... If there is somewhere around that sells them anyway.

A couple of other things that were considerations to me were weight and power consumption. Inkers are lighter and use far less power than dye subs which was an advantage to me when transporting the things and having to run an event trailer off generator power.
The ability to take 2-3 machines to a small job or launch 2 tables of 6 each running off print servers doing package printing Churning out thousands of prints a day was also a huge advantage to me.

I'm looking at some new machines for a certain job and there is no way I'll be getting anything else but inkers.

Dec 12, 2014 at 05:27 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.