New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nikon Service Question

nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Service Question

This is my first time using Nikon Service, so please excuse my ignorance.

Last Monday I shipped my D800 to Nikon Service Center in Melville to have the sensor cleaned. I shipped it overnight using UPS with full insurance and signature confirmation. I received a email from UPS last Tuesday informing me that the package was delivered to Nikon.

This is where I need a little help. I have received no communication from Nikon acknowledging that they received my camera or anything of that nature. Prior to shipping the camera off, I did submit a service request through Nikon's website (which I still have the emails saved).

How long does it typically take to receive confirmation that the camera is actually being serviced? Should I have received an email or phone call about this? I know I can call them, but I don't have a repair number to reference.

I know I'm probably getting antsy over nothing. So I just figured I would post here and see what fellow Nikonians have experienced when they have shipped their cameras to be serviced.

Thanks in advance!

-Nick

Dec 09, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Service Question

No worries just yet - I'm an NPS member and sent something off for repair that arrived on the 4th - it's 5 days later and they finally acknowledged the item was there (and NPS is supposed to have higher priority). In some instances, they won't contact you until they have an estimate ready to go.

Dec 09, 2014 at 01:05 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Service Question

I wouldn't worry. If UPS says it is there, it is there. Nikon is notoriously slow about updating service work notifications. Some folks claim to have their products finished and returned before Nikon updates their notification system showing receipt of the item.

My experience with Nikon Melville is that they provide good service, but terrible communication.

Regards,
Fred

Dec 09, 2014 at 01:07 PM
ayjayy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Service Question

Exactly, everytime i've sent in my cameras for cleaning i've had them back before I received an update.

Dec 09, 2014 at 03:49 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Service Question

i bypass this and clean my own sensor.

Dec 09, 2014 at 03:52 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Service Question

They will completely ignore you until they've examined it. Then they'll tell you what's wrong and how much it will cost. After you pay, you won't hear anything again until they ship it back. They're not chatty, but they get the job done. Turn around is usually two weeks.

Dec 09, 2014 at 04:03 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Service Question

It seems relaxing QC standard at Nikon's assembly lines has caused big backlog at service centers.

Dec 09, 2014 at 04:10 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Service Question

The answer that I found was to e-mail Nikon Service directly through their main website and open a Service Incident.

That way you can establish a direct link to a human and my experience was that they were then extremely diligent in tracking my Order Number and keeping me informed on its progress.

Nikon really do need to spend some time and resources on updating their automated responses to customers and to acknowledging receipt of equipment in a timely manner, and then to providing a detailed account of what they are doing and an estimate not only of cost but also how long it may take to get the necessary parts and make the repairs.

You will of course be told that there is "Impact Damage" – it seems to be their standard practice and the way that the two appointed and franchised service stations operate and thus avoid having to honour any warranty.

It is probably best to insure your equipment against "All Risks" and accept that you will inevitably get charged for repairs!

Dec 09, 2014 at 04:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon Service Question

seems i really never have the problems some have had with service from them. i have, since coming back in 2008, put 3 items through their service:
1- my D3 for the buffer upgrade
2- SB700 whose auto zoom failed out of warranty but the credit card extended warranty handled it.
3- 24-85 that a glop of lube centered itself on an inner lens element. warranty.

now i have seen the way some individuals handle their gear which can torque load the lens mount. so for that i just cringe and walk away. it not always Nikon.

Dec 09, 2014 at 04:36 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon Service Question

sjms wrote:
seems i really never have the problems some have had with service from them. i have, since coming back in 2008, put 3 items through their service:
1- my D3 for the buffer upgrade
2- SB700 whose auto zoom failed out of warranty but the credit card extended warranty handled it.
3- 24-85 that a glop of lube centered itself on an inner lens element. warranty.

now i have seen the way some individuals handle their gear which can torque load the lens mount. so for that i just cringe and walk away. it not always Nikon.

I sent an SB800 off about a month ago and had it back in a week. I am an NPS member, but before I was, it took about three weeks on average. (UPS ground).

Dec 09, 2014 at 07:07 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon Service Question

Please learn to clean the sensor yourself: less time, less money, no worries.

Dec 10, 2014 at 03:30 AM
hans98ko
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon Service Question

sjms wrote:
i have seen the way some individuals handle their gear which can torque load the lens mount. so for that i just cringe and walk away. it not always Nikon.

Wow! Can't agree with you more on that.
One very good example is those who spent hundreds of dollars on straps hanging their cameras by the tripod mount swinging upside down. To those people I think they value their camera base plate or battery grip more than their priceless view finder.
For them a damaged view finder can take better pictures than a damaged base plate or grip.

How many professionals really uses those straps? My observations is that they either use a neck strap, a hand strap or nothing at all just by placing their cameras on the ground or the camera mounted on a huge lens sitting on it's hood.

Phew! Can you imagine the amount of torque generated at the mounts (both the tripod and lens) by the lens with the momentum and kinetic energy it generates? E=mc2 or F=ma, and T=fr x d

Oh! Now I get it, why Nikon USA classified them as impact damage in the US. Maybe because those straps are more popular in the states.

Here in Singapore we get our cameras and Lenses serviced in either 1 or 3 working days, or else it will be 2 weeks. Only if the units need to be sent out to the factories or waiting for parts will it take 3 to 4 weeks for both Canon and Nikon if we dropped off and pick up at the service centers.

My 24-70mm f/2.8G was sent for repair to have the helicoil replaced last week and was quoted 3 to 4 weeks waiting for parts, but instead got it back in 10 days or 7 working days to be exact.

Thank you Canon and Nikon! You both have been good to me.

Dec 10, 2014 at 06:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon Service Question

Actually quite a few pros use the cross shoulder base loaded mounts. And as far as handling I was referring to something quite a bit different. The same rules of physics apply when using the built in strap mounts.
hand straps are less used. for the most part they get in the way. in fact they have become quite the fashion statement in the past few years. you know various colors and materials things that are real important to the pro to match his/her couture.

Edited on Dec 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2014 at 07:54 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon Service Question

Thanks everyone for the responses. Ironically enough, I received a service acknowledgement email from them this morning. So all is well. Thanks again!

-Nick

Dec 10, 2014 at 01:03 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon Service Question

For another reference point, i sent my DF to nikon to put on a new rubber grip (again).

I always call to confirm they received my shipment.

I got the service letter yesterday....but they shipped the camera to me two days ago

Dec 10, 2014 at 01:48 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.