New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Graphics Card Recommendation

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Graphics Card Recommendation

I am upgrading my monitor to NEC PA272W and seeking advice best video cards for the post processing to take advantage of the monitor capabilities. (This computer is almost dedicated to post processing - so no gaming etc.)

Thanks
msoomro

Dec 09, 2014 at 12:07 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Graphics Card Recommendation

msoomro wrote:
I am upgrading my monitor to NEC PA272W and seeking advice best video cards for the post processing to take advantage of the monitor capabilities. (This computer is almost dedicated to post processing - so no gaming etc.)

Thanks
msoomro

You'll be fine with any of these video cards: Tested video cards for Photoshop CC and CC 2014

Dec 09, 2014 at 01:13 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Graphics Card Recommendation

Unless you make frequent use of the few filters and functions that are actually GPU accelerated, your choice of video card will make near-zero difference.

I don't know what you mean by 'take advantage of the monitor...'
Just about any mid-range or better card on the market will drive the monitor at its proper resolution and refresh rate.

That said, if you do anticipate using the GPU for various apps, look for a card with a 192 or 256 bit memory bus. For most apps, the more bandwidth, the better.

Dec 09, 2014 at 01:55 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Graphics Card Recommendation

Thanks James & Greg

@Greg: I see what you mean. Don't remember what i was thinking when writing that :-(.

On a side: I currently have EVGA GeForce GTX 570. When i tested it with a loaner PA272 @ 2560 x 1440 fonts got all messed up and blurry. I was not using a dual link DVI connection though.

Dec 09, 2014 at 02:22 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Graphics Card Recommendation

GTX 660 is solid - go on up into the 700's if you want...

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX660DC2O2GD5/

Dec 09, 2014 at 10:21 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Graphics Card Recommendation

msoomro wrote:
Thanks James & Greg

@Greg: I see what you mean. Don't remember what i was thinking when writing that :-(.

On a side: I currently have EVGA GeForce GTX 570. When i tested it with a loaner PA272 @ 2560 x 1440 fonts got all messed up and blurry. I was not using a dual link DVI connection though.

A GTX 570 should be plenty of horsepower to drive that monitor for non-gaming purposes.. But you will need to use the proper connection-- dual link DVI.

Dec 10, 2014 at 09:18 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Graphics Card Recommendation

If you want 10bit, then you need a professional card. (non GTX)
A quadro card, most under 300€ also offer 10-bit. You can also go second hand on an older model and buy a powerfull GTX card for rendering.

Dec 10, 2014 at 09:39 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Graphics Card Recommendation

@justruss: Thanks for the tip. I got 570 working by changing the cable type. I didnt realize the cable was not a dual Link. I connected via DisplayPort and working fine now @native resolution

@playerofwar: Going 10bit would be ideal. Whats would be a good source for used ones?

I checked couple of new Quadro cards. There is huge feature diff in the two. Wondering if Quadro K600 1GB GDDR3 (cheaper) is good enough :-)

$669
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133485&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Workstation+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814133485&gclid=COTs3tT4u8ICFQESMwodh0sAAQ

$129
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133482&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Workstation+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814133482&gclid=CMaPr9T4u8ICFQ9gMgodpl0ALw

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Graphics Card Recommendation

Greg Campbell wrote:
Unless you make frequent use of the few filters and functions that are actually GPU accelerated, your choice of video card will make near-zero difference.

I don't know what you mean by 'take advantage of the monitor...'
Just about any mid-range or better card on the market will drive the monitor at its proper resolution and refresh rate.

That said, if you do anticipate using the GPU for various apps, look for a card with a 192 or 256 bit memory bus. For most apps, the more bandwidth, the better.

Few filters and functions? well there are more then just a "few". pretty much all the ones i have/use check/optimize for machines that will function using openGL/CL, GPU/CPU combinations.

Dec 10, 2014 at 01:09 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Graphics Card Recommendation

Any experience / viewpoint with this card? I can possibly acquire at decent price.

http://www.pny.eu/data/sitedynamic/File/Quadro/Datasheets/Quadro4000_by_PNY_Datasheet.pdf

Dec 10, 2014 at 01:48 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Graphics Card Recommendation

Playerofwar wrote
You can also go second hand on an older model and buy a powerfull GTX card for rendering.

Little confused. Does it mean using two cards?

Dec 10, 2014 at 01:51 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Graphics Card Recommendation

msoomro wrote:
Any experience / viewpoint with this card? I can possibly acquire at decent price.

http://www.pny.eu/data/sitedynamic/File/Quadro/Datasheets/Quadro4000_by_PNY_Datasheet.pdf

That's an old model Quadro now. It probably doesn't offer even the performance of a GTX 650 except for optimised applications like Maya and AutoCAD. It does have 10 bit colour output though, if that is important to you

Dec 10, 2014 at 02:26 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Graphics Card Recommendation

Im about to list a Quadro K600 on buy and sell. Its Brand new, never used. I'll PM you.

Dec 10, 2014 at 04:49 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Graphics Card Recommendation

You might consider something like a used HD750 or better off fleabay. They're going for well under a hundred bucks.

Dec 11, 2014 at 06:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Graphics Card Recommendation

i'be been running a GTX660Ti for 3 years now. trying to find a reason to buy a new one but can't.

Dec 11, 2014 at 07:44 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Graphics Card Recommendation

Primarily you will just need a card that can handle the resolution. Most will do it. You might consider getting one that can handle two such monitors at the same time.

However, it *might* also pay to buy one that can handle a monitor with 4k resolution (i.e. 3840 x 2028 or thereabouts, also known as quad HD because it has twice the width and height of Full HD. It's called 4k because there are roughly 4,000 pixels across the screen). That way you won't need to buy another one later. It will likely cost a lot more because there is more to it than just handling resolution, so the merit depends on how likely you are to upgrade your monitor again, and how much you will be spending on a non-4k card.

- Alan

Dec 14, 2014 at 02:42 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Graphics Card Recommendation

msoomro wrote:

Yes, use a cheap 10-bit-capable quadro for driving your monitors and a powerful GTX card for rendering. A GTX770 is dirt cheap second hand (is essentially a GTX 680) and very powerfull. Do make sure you can select your GPU for rendering in the programs you use. For Adobe, you will have to add a single line of code to the compatibility document (very easy for the money you save).
A Quadro would be ideal, but you would need to get a K4000 to even get comparable performance of the GTX cards. Which will cost a multitude of above setup.

Dec 14, 2014 at 09:58 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Graphics Card Recommendation

@ Alan/ Playerofwar

Thanks for the suggestions. I also did more reading at my end and reassessed my need. Aside for the cost of these solutions I also came to conclusion the 4K and 10 bit solutions are great for on screen viewing, however not the best for post processing if i print my images. Both these solutions will hide artifiacts like banding etc. which i will see in prints. Would you agree to this assessment? or am i over reading? :-)

Update: I got my PA272. Beautiful monitor. I am using the existing GTX570 in my system seems to drive my dual mon setup. I will keep and eye for a used GTX770. Debating if will get incremental advantage for post processing (I am not in gaming) versus spending to add more RAM (I.e. from 32 to 64 GB)

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:47 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Graphics Card Recommendation

msoomro wrote:

Thats the new Nvidia "solution", at least in the professional space.

They are actually segmenting the market very cleverly:
- The GeForce gaming cards are made very powerful for single precision maths and game-type rendering throughput, but don't include optimisations for OpenGL model rendering (or are intentionally crippled, depending on who you ask), and don't support 10 bit colour.
- The Quadro's give you OpenGL and 10 bit colour, but are heavily downclocked relative to their gaming equivalents and are thus slower for single precision Compute (OpenCL and CUDA) than the gaming cards. They are also 4-5x more expensive for the same core GPU.
- The Tesla cards give you single and double-precision compute in the form of a co-processor (no graphics output). To ensure sales of these, both the Geforce and Quadro lines are seriously crippled for double precision maths, except for the GTX Titan and the "Oh-My-God-I-Could-Buy-A-Kidney-For-That-Money" Quadro K6000.

So they have set up their product range such that anyone wanting "workstation" features like 10 bit colour or OpenGL performance has to pay a hefty premium for it, and anyone wanting 10bit colour, OpenGL AND decent compute capability has to buy two expensive cards - a Quadro and a Tesla.

I am not sure how well a Quadro + Geforce setup would work. I would check the documentation carefully before taking that route, as Nvidia might well have crippled it in the drivers.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Graphics Card Recommendation

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves?

This is a machine for post-processing with photoshop, it seems. A single GTX 570 is fine. (Unless I'm confused and we're really talking about 3D rendering, video grading, and GPU-Compute beyond the low power stuff in day-to-day use.)

Dec 15, 2014 at 03:12 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.