Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

http://petapixel.com/2014/12/08/make-moneymaker-style-leather-dual-camera-harness-just-70/#more-152760

Dec 08, 2014 at 05:14 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

I made myself the third camera straps It was very cheap but it took me a while worth paying for the originals if I didnt have to pay the delivery to Spain and custom taxes.

http://www.jmraso.com/images/takinga.jpg

Dec 08, 2014 at 05:51 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

Looks like way too much work for me to save the money. I'd rather just pay someone to send me one built correctly......but I won't because I'm 6'5" and Holdfast and almost every other strap manufacturer refuses to invest in the "tall photographer" market.

Dec 08, 2014 at 06:01 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

Im 6'4" and the MM fits quite well.

Dec 08, 2014 at 06:05 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

My torso is longer than most. The cameras hang just high enough to be annoying.

Dec 08, 2014 at 06:06 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

Did you ask Matt directly to make you a custom one ?? He seems to be the kind of guy who would do it !!

rondphoto wrote:
Looks like way too much work for me to save the money. I'd rather just pay someone to send me one built correctly......but I won't because I'm 6'5" and Holdfast and almost every other strap manufacturer refuses to invest in the "tall photographer" market.

Dec 08, 2014 at 06:07 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

Five pages of MM advocating coming right up! lol

Dec 08, 2014 at 07:02 PM
Weez
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

amonline wrote:

lol, yep

Dec 08, 2014 at 08:16 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

Still not totally sure I need a MM. Every time a MM thread comes up, I want one for 10 minutes and then talk myself out of it.

Dec 08, 2014 at 08:26 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

rondphoto wrote:
My torso is longer than most. The cameras hang just high enough to be annoying.

He makes custom sizes just email him. My friend Reg Campbell is a huge muscly bastard and they made him a custom MM that fits him perfectly.

Dec 08, 2014 at 09:21 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

This really is a pretty low blow. When you buy a MM from HoldFast, you're getting quality craftsmanship and paying for the design and innovation.

The idiots trying to craft one on their own will either 1) not like it because they did it wrong, 2) buy the real deal because they realized that they did it wrong, or 3) break their equipment and slander MMs on the internet for ages to come.

Dec 08, 2014 at 09:47 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

Ha, you'll also notice that the links at the bottom of PetaPixel's write up that were directed to the original location of the article (photographer's blog) and the photographer's website are both now mysteriously broken. I bet this Josh Hall guy wishes he hadn't plastered his name on all of these photos

Dec 08, 2014 at 10:07 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

His website works for me, actually.

Dec 08, 2014 at 10:51 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

The fact that Petapixel is actively promoting something that is 100% ripping off someone in our industry bothers me. Sure, many people have made their own...so be it. But to actively tell others to and how to do the same thing?

Dec 08, 2014 at 10:53 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

In terms of time consuming it doesnt worth the little money you safe, as I said I did myself the third camera straps (stupid me I didnt buy them at first) and it took me a while so making another MM crossed my mind but when I pictured me doing it I found better things to do.

I will probably get soon another MM in black for next season !!

joelconner wrote:
The fact that Petapixel is actively promoting something that is 100% ripping off someone in our industry bothers me. Sure, many people have made their own...so be it. But to actively tell others to and how to do the same thing?

Dec 09, 2014 at 04:29 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

amonline wrote:

Ill start! Look at me, looking good, doing my thing.

IMG_8053 by shanereighard, on Flickr

Dec 09, 2014 at 07:34 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

BSPhotog wrote:
The idiots trying to craft one on their own will either 1) not like it because they did it wrong, 2) buy the real deal because they realized that they did it wrong, or 3) break their equipment and slander MMs on the internet for ages to come.

Except for that it's not too hard to get it right...
You don't have to be a genius to make a perfectly working copy of this. It's basically 2 belts rivetted together with a sliding piece with camera attachment. It has been used in police corpses for decades (if not ages). And Holfast just applied the concept to camera's. If you are not handy and have no experience with leather/ cannot attain quality materials/ don't have a lot of time,... It is cheaper to buy it from Holfast. But if you are someone that would never pay this amount of money for a strap but you want a nice project in your spare time, you can make a strapp that looks and works as good as the moneymaker. Just know that if you account for time of research, sourcing and labor at 20$/hour, you will be very close to the price of the real thing.

Dec 09, 2014 at 09:03 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

joelconner wrote:

Nah, dude. This is free advertising for them... and it's the best kind. It makes them come off as A) Super desirable (enough that someone wants one this badly) B) Super high end (when you're priced as a luxury item, you want to be known as expensive) C) Well made (the article talks about that). On top of that, they're reaching a huge audience, most of which won't spend the time or energy to make one themselves.

I don't really like the look or function of those straps personally, but don't go worrying about them for this article. They'll probably get 10x more business from this than they would have from paying for an ad on PP.

Dec 09, 2014 at 09:29 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

rondphoto wrote:
because I'm 6'5" and Holdfast and almost every other strap manufacturer refuses to invest in the "tall photographer" market.

I'm 6'6" with a crappy back. It's all about holsters, baby.

Dec 09, 2014 at 09:32 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Who Wants to Try a DIY MoneyMaker?

joelconner wrote:

It's a strap. If you want to go that road, then HoldFast took a modified design of Black Rapid, made it in leather, and they ripped off Black Rapid.

And Black Rapid... they took the dual gun holsters of city cops and modified them to hold cameras. Black Rapid ripped off the holster companies for firearms.

How far do you want to take it? Not to mention that it's just a strap. One camera strap company shouldn't feel bad for making a normal camera strap when someone else made one first. It's not directly copying it. He's using different materials and different parts. And the time, labor, and money invested in something like that likely won't be worth it to most.

$10 says the guy who made this strap also probably had the leather working tools (riveter and leather punch) already. Those tools would add up to likely another $30-50, so now you're over $100-120 for this home made strap, plus hours upon hours spent making it, making mistakes, and making it again. Or you could take on one family session and buy two HoldFasts.

It's cool he took the time to make it, but HoldFast straps really aren't that expensive for what you get. In fact, between R&D, manufacturing, storage and shipping, I'd say they're a steal. I'd say with how much I value my time, buying 3 HoldFasts would be "cheaper" than making one of my own. Plus, you get a true HoldFast.

...I'm a sucker for the real thing.

Edited on Dec 11, 2014 at 01:04 PM · View previous versions

Dec 09, 2014 at 01:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.