Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Riverside ...

What more could you ask for?

Dec 08, 2014 at 11:28 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Riverside ...

Is that a bear near the edge? The shadow (?) it's casting looks strange!

I'd go with "A River Runs Through It" for the title.

Jeff

Dec 08, 2014 at 11:35 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Riverside ...

Buffalo ... unfortunately his determination to never turn around exceeded the 30-40 minutes I watched and waited, before I had to rendezvous with others. The shadow actually includes a second buffalo on the ground.

Dec 08, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Riverside ...

RustyBug wrote:
Buffalo ... unfortunately his determination to never turn around exceeded the 30-40 minutes I watched and waited, before I had to rendezvous with others. The shadow actually includes a second buffalo on the ground.

Nice capture and processing.

OT: The buffalo reminded me of a NG special I believe in which it was mentioned that many large mammals in Yellowstone die of starvation - their teeth are ground down to nothing as a result of the high silica content of the grasses - and eventually they are no longer able to graze. What a delicate balance - nature.

Bob

Dec 08, 2014 at 01:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Riverside ...

Thanks Bob,

+1 @ nature's balance ...

Who'd ever think of grass as "abrasive".

There is in irony of how powerful the smallest microbial can take down the largest living things, and yet how the largest living things are sustained by such small things (like whales & plankton, elephants and grass, Sequoia and nutrients in the earth).

Dec 08, 2014 at 01:33 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Riverside ...

RustyBug wrote:

Wow - sometimes you would like to pop into their mind for a second and say "C'mon dude, just turn and face me for FIVE SECONDS!".

Unfortunately most subjects from the animal/insect kingdom don't really give a damn about us and our cameras.

Dec 08, 2014 at 02:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Riverside ...

Yeah, I forgot and left my "Dr. Doolittle" tele-translator at home that day.

Dec 08, 2014 at 02:29 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Riverside ...

I've read some wildlife photographers use a duck call to get the attention of critters who are looking the wrong way. Peaks their curiosity.

Dec 08, 2014 at 04:02 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Riverside ...

AuntiPode wrote:
I've read some wildlife photographers use a duck call to get the attention of critters who are looking the wrong way. Peaks their curiosity.

Just gotta hope that said critter doesn't like to eat duck.

Dec 08, 2014 at 04:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Riverside ...

Sounds like an interesting idea (I also thought about getting elk/moose call) ... but, the NPS rules (not that everyone abides by them) prohibit doing anything that alters/influences their behavior.

I'm curious how that might play out in other areas that aren't regulated, though. I know that when I'm walking through an area, there are always those "tattle-tale" birds that I can just hear flying along like Paul Revere on his midnight run ... chirping "The humans are coming !!! The humans are coming !!!"

Hmmm @ if I learned to chirp or quack back.

Dec 08, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Riverside ...

Do duck calls work on rabbits?

Dec 08, 2014 at 05:22 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Riverside ...

Bob Jarman wrote:
Do duck calls work on rabbits?

Sounds a bit "Daffy" ... kinda "Bugs" me to think about it.

Dec 08, 2014 at 05:36 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Riverside ...

I believe using calls of any sort in Yellowstone National Park is illegal. The rule is, if the animal changes its behavior then you're wrong (too close, too noisy, whatever).

k

Dec 08, 2014 at 08:42 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Riverside ...

beanpkk wrote:
I believe using calls of any sort in Yellowstone National Park is illegal. The rule is, if the animal changes its behavior then you're wrong (too close, too noisy, whatever).

k

Yup ... that's it. ^

Dec 08, 2014 at 09:49 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Riverside ...

Making odd noises was a good way to get pets to turn their attention to me when I did family portraits back in the day. As you can tell, I'm not a wildlife photographer and the fellow who mentioned it probably wasn't talking about Yellowstone. I have seen a deer bounding away from me at speed stop, turn and look when I loudly said "bang!" Too many rules restricting photography today. Good thing I'm too lazy for this sort of work.

Dec 09, 2014 at 06:32 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.