New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Flash Photography Help Needed

rcm123
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash Photography Help Needed

I have just started working with off-camera flashes. I have two Canon 600EX Speedlites controlled by an ST-E3 transmitter. I was wondering if someone could help me out with two issues:

1. When shooting in the Manual mode (600EXs and ST-E3 set to "M"), can the flash output be adjusted EITHER by adjusting it on the two flashes OR by setting the flash output on the ST-E3? If so, what, if anything, needs to be done with the other piece of equipment?

2. When shooting in the ETTL fully automatic flash mode, once you set the flash output for the two flashes on the ST-E3, does it matter what the flash output is set at on the two flashes (or do the flashes have to be set at full power)?

Thanks for any advice/input.

Rich

Dec 08, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Paul Tessier
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash Photography Help Needed

If you have everything linked up it will not matter what device you make changes with, flash, transmitter or camera. They should all display the new changes in real time and work properly. I think that answers both questions if I understand them properly.
I highly and often recommend this video series. It is long but all encompassing regarding the 600 flashes.
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/syl_arena_speedlite_600exrt_seminar.shtml

Dec 08, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash Photography Help Needed

Did you cross-post to the Lighting & Studio Techniques Forum?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/44

You may get more replies on that forum.

Dec 08, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash Photography Help Needed

You can adjust in Ettl or manual from the ste3 and you need to fire the system once for the flashes to get the new instructions.. Have you tried group mode yet? Awesome!

Dec 08, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash Photography Help Needed

Forgot. You don't need to be at full power. You can have one flash on manual and one on Ettl. Whatever you want.

Dec 08, 2014 at 12:38 PM
rcm123
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash Photography Help Needed

Paul Tessier wrote:
If you have everything linked up it will not matter what device you make changes with, flash, transmitter or camera. They should all display the new changes in real time and work properly. I think that answers both questions if I understand them properly.
I highly and often recommend this video series. It is long but all encompassing regarding the 600 flashes.
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/syl_arena_speedlite_600exrt_seminar.shtml

Paul, thanks very much. I am going to view the videos tonight.

Dec 08, 2014 at 03:47 PM
rcm123
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash Photography Help Needed

Imagemaster wrote:
Did you cross-post to the Lighting & Studio Techniques Forum?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/44

You may get more replies on that forum.

Thanks. That is an excellent suggestion. I appreciate it.

Dec 08, 2014 at 03:49 PM
rcm123
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash Photography Help Needed

Zenon Char wrote:
You can adjust in Ettl or manual from the ste3 and you need to fire the system once for the flashes to get the new instructions.. Have you tried group mode yet? Awesome!

Thanks very much. Very helpful. I am going to test that out tonight.

Dec 08, 2014 at 03:50 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.