FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tent Camping in Glacier National Park

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tent Camping in Glacier National Park

I'm planning a mid-August trip up to Glacier next summer
That means very early sunrises and very late sunsets
With most of the lodging close to Logan Pass being crappy and overpriced it seems that camping might be the way to go
Looking for advice on best campgrounds for tent camping in improved campgrounds
Flush Toilets =
Showers =
Waking up because a large bear is trying to get into my tent =

Thanks.

Dec 07, 2014 at 06:41 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tent Camping in Glacier National Park

uintaangler wrote:
I'm planning a mid-August trip up to Glacier next summer
That means very early sunrises and very late sunsets
With most of the lodging close to Logan Pass being crappy and overpriced it seems that camping might be the way to go
Looking for advice on best campgrounds for tent camping in improved campgrounds
Flush Toilets =
Showers =
Waking up because a large bear is trying to get into my tent =

Thanks.

NOT waking up because a large bear GOT into your tend... ;-(

(Just being silly this morning.)

Dan

Dec 08, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tent Camping in Glacier National Park

Aw, c'mon! Dan's scenario really isn't all that likely.
You're SURE to wake up if a bear jumps in and starts chewing on you...
(Besides, who can fall asleep in the first place knowing all those hungry bears are in the area?)

You might look into renting one of those portable electric fence kits. They're apparently more effective than you might suspect.

Edited on Dec 08, 2014 at 02:48 PM · View previous versions

Dec 08, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tent Camping in Glacier National Park

First a few words on bears.
You will see bears on the trails pretty much everywhere in Glacier. It is not uncommon to watch momma Griz and her cub cross a trail right in front of hikers. Bears will walk through the campgrounds at night. With the high frequency of encounters it is surprising that there are almost no serious incidents. Partially I credit the bears. They have become used to people. Also the NPS does a great job. Rangers and campground hosts check campgrounds to verify the food lockers are being used. Not even a water bottle can be left out on a picnic table. With common sense you could spend the rest of your life camping in Glacier and never have a problem. As a final safety measure, I do recommend buying bear spray. Except for being in a howling windstorm, it is nearly 100% effective. I have never used mine, but I did watch someone discharge an expired unit. Two seconds of spray is enough to make a wall of pepper spray that would stop any bear.

For hiking, photography and camping I prefer the east side of the Park. If you have definite travel plans, make a reservation at St Mary's CG. Campgrounds typically fill early in the day so a reservation means you will not need to stay outside the Park in a private campground. St Mary's is one of my least favorite but it does accept reservations. Last summer I stayed at all of the campgrounds on the east side except for St Mary's. I had no problems getting sites, but I was always looking early; i.e., before 10 or 11 am.

NPS campgrounds do not have showers. That is not a problem because there are lodges and private facilities near all of the major areas which do provide shower facilities for a small fee. I have a small shower in my truck camper so I may be mistaken, but I think at 2 Medicine it might be necessary to drive outside the park which would take about 15-20 minutes.

I know you want improved campgrounds, but I would recommend at least one night at the primitive Cut Bank campground. You need to bring in water but the nuisance is worth it.

If you visit the St Marys and Many Glacier area, I highly recommend making at least one visit to the Two Sister's restaurant. Great burgers, trout dinners, fried chicken and homemade pies. They have become too popular to visit at lunch or dinner time. I recommend late afternoon which works out real well for evening photography.

Dec 08, 2014 at 01:31 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tent Camping in Glacier National Park

Thanks CJ

Dec 08, 2014 at 11:24 PM
CanonNikonGuy

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tent Camping in Glacier National Park

Went a few years ago. Jim summed it up pretty good. But you will 100% see bears. They were everywhere when I went

Dec 09, 2014 at 12:14 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tent Camping in Glacier National Park

Rising Sun campground on the east side has showers. Bring quarters. It also has flush toilets. It's first come first served.

Fish Creek on the backside of Lake McDonald on the west side and St. Mary Campground on the east side also have showers. Reservations are accepted.

Dec 09, 2014 at 08:33 AM
graystonephoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tent Camping in Glacier National Park

Where do you plan to spend most of your time? I live on the eastside so i might have some recommendations...

Dec 28, 2014 at 01:23 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.