Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · identify?

philfra

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · identify?

First to admit I know little about birds but lately some different ones have emerged to feed at the feeder or the left over apples in the back yard. I apologize if this is not the place to post this but just wondering if by chance anyone knows who is helping clean up the tree. The second one was a loner that showed up once among the chickadees, checked it out and left...Not great works of imagery, just wondering about the bird families, I was watching their habits and mannerisms today...I might have found another area to explore.

Dec 07, 2014 at 04:37 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · identify?

First is a cedar waxwing...they are quite handsome birds. Not sure of the second but I'm positive someone will know.
Eric

Dec 07, 2014 at 04:48 PM
philfra

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · identify?

Thanks Eric, they are very distinctive and have quite a regiment on how they approach the tree as a flock

Dec 07, 2014 at 05:00 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · identify?

The second looks like a red poll to me.
Douglas

Dec 07, 2014 at 05:02 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · identify?

I'm going to go against Eric just slightly as I believe the first ones are Bohemian Waxwings. Cedar waxwings don't have the yellow or the two white patches on the wings. I just got to shoot these guys yesterday also and I agree they are really fun to just watch and listen to their songs. The second is a Common Redpoll.

I like the first image a lot as the orange apples compliment the orange on the waxwings.

Dec 07, 2014 at 05:17 PM
philfra

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · identify?

Thanks all, it was very dull out so i had to spruce and crop them quite a bit... need a longer lens! At least now I can sound a little more bird knowledgeable..

Dec 07, 2014 at 05:30 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · identify?

That's one cluster of waxwings. cool

Dec 07, 2014 at 05:50 PM
philfra

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · identify?

Herb, hard to count but there were probably fifty or so of them. They arrived in a flurry!

Dec 07, 2014 at 06:03 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · identify?

philfra wrote:
Herb, hard to count but there were probably fifty or so of them. They arrived in a flurry!

That's like a major feeding frenzy. I've seen it with pelagic fish in offshore fishing, but not with birds.

Dec 07, 2014 at 06:07 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · identify?

First is Bohemian waxwing. Rufous undertail feathers are dead giveaway vs. Cedar Waxwing. Bohemians also have more color in wings. These are the easiest diagnostic field marks.

Second is a redpoll, likely A Common redpoll. The other option would be Hoary redpoll. Compared to Hoary, Common has a bigger bill, more streaking on the flanks, and unstreaked under tail coverts. These field marks are tough to see on this bird in this photo. However, Common redpoll generally has more red on the breast than Hoary. With a nice pink wash across the breast, I would propose Common redpoll for the bird.

Edited on Dec 08, 2014 at 06:44 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2014 at 06:44 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · identify?

dorian wrote:
First is Bohemian waxwing. Rufous undertail feathers are dead giveaway vs. Cedar Waxwing. Bohemians also have more color in wings. These are the easiest diagnostic field marks.

Second is a redpoll, likely A Common redpoll. The other option would be Hoary redpoll. Compared to Hoary, Common has a bigger bill, more streaking on the flanks, and unstreamed under tail coverts. These field marks are tough to see on this bird in this photo. However, Common redpoll generally has more red on the breast than Hoary. With a nice pink wash across the breast, I would propose Common redpoll for the bird.

I agree

Dec 07, 2014 at 10:17 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.