Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · basketball AF point / framing technique suggestions

gschlact
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · basketball AF point / framing technique suggestions

I thought this might be a useful topic for us amatures shooters to get some prof tips.

The idea came to me yesterday when trying to shoot my son's basketball game with a 70-200 from baseline, after a year since his last game and my normal 24-70 lens of choice. (I use a crop 1.6x).

I had layers of rust relative to timing and framing. I also realized IS had to be full off to keep up with the eradicate movement. Combinedo with the faCT that 90 percent of my shooting is big field sports and always with a zoom.

For framing, I am looking for tips on (assume single AF point with Servo):
1. Do you try to keep the AF point on face or chest?
2. In the frame what are some strategies for AF point selection for the two scenarios of outstretched player fitting and not fitting vertically into focal length frame?
3. Is cutting of tight defender of primary subject player any more "acceptable" than in soccer / field hockey / football?
4. Timing of the shutter capture of a shot or pass. (They are way faster than a soccer strike or FHer pass/shot.

I realize there will both common and less common exceptions.

Everything I did seemed different with the 70mm being my short FL vs long, while trying to capture the offense inside the three point shot line from 6-16 ft behind the basket.

Guy
gschlact

PS: I get better AF placement accuracy using single point vs expanded point AF on the larger fields. I more easily know whether I am on or off the player. But not sure if expanded my pit be better when shooting tighter?

Dec 07, 2014 at 04:37 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · basketball AF point / framing technique suggestions

Guy,

I don't know if I understood all your questions.

I shoot vertically, and I set my focus point to one or two below center. This combination helps to assure that I don't cut off anything important at the top of the frame. I can live without the lower legs but not without the ball! If I were shooting with a 1.6x crop camera, I'd sit as close to the corner (where sideline meets baseline) as possible (assuming the 70-200).

Not sure what you're asking about the timing of the shutter capture. As with anything, you're trying to capture peak action. But you don't always know exactly when that's going to happen, so there are situations where firing off several shots in succession makes sense. Examples include a player driving to the basket (you don't know what kind of contact there might be from a defender or just where in the drive this will happen), player going up for a layup (hard to know exactly when an arm might be blocking the face), etc. Unless you're using strobes, I can't think of any good reason to limit yourself to a single shot and hope to time it perfectly. I'm not suggesting spray and pray, just knowing when it makes sense to capture a sequence.

Dec 07, 2014 at 11:39 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · basketball AF point / framing technique suggestions

Russ-
Helpful->> "it was the one or 2 focus points below center"
Do you typically try to follow player with the active focus point on his face or chest or other?
(when I shoot field sports, I typically worry more about keeping it on their chest as it is bigger target in the view finder. I am not saying this is proper ? ;-)

Dec 08, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · basketball AF point / framing technique suggestions

More toward the chest than the face, for similar reasons.

Dec 08, 2014 at 12:47 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · basketball AF point / framing technique suggestions

Russ - One more. Single point or with expanders / helper surround points?

Dec 08, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · basketball AF point / framing technique suggestions

I go back and forth on this and I'm not sure which works best. So, either single point or four surrounding points activated.

Dec 08, 2014 at 01:03 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · basketball AF point / framing technique suggestions

I'm no expert by any means but shoot basketball at similar to college level here in Australia (it is the feeder league to the national level). I use a 5D3 with 70-200 IS II most often.

Based on my reading (and a couple of seasons of experience now) I use the expended AF to give the five points / cross hair configuration. Generally focusing on upper chest and find that DOF is sufficient (even at 2.8) that the results are sharp enough for my/client needs. AF point is normally just below centre in vertical orientation, and just to the trailing side to give a bit more room ahead of the direction of play. When I'm shooting with a wide angle under the basket in landscape orientation I have the AF right at the lowest row to give sufficient upward angle to my composition.

Not sure I really follow some of your other questions. Cutting off defenders is pretty common, as long as the key player that you're shooting is good, then there is no issue in my mind. Sure, try not to cut through the middle of someone's head, but if they are missing a hand or foot etc, no issue in my mind.

Timing is brutal. You learn to anticipate the shot or the drive etc, and I find men much easier to shoot than women as the play (albeit faster) is more predictable and logical (in my league at least). So you learn when to start triggering that shutter to time things right. You can't wait for the shot to push the shutter, you won't get it...or rarely anyway.

Hope that helps.

Dec 09, 2014 at 12:27 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · basketball AF point / framing technique suggestions

Thanks.

Dec 09, 2014 at 12:30 AM
andre2112
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · basketball AF point / framing technique suggestions

Are you shooting near side court with that combo? 70-200 on dx?

Dec 10, 2014 at 07:32 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · basketball AF point / framing technique suggestions

Yes, my questions were intended for near-side inside 3pt line. I realize not wide enough, but I am a one-camera shooter and will sometimes choose this lens.

Dec 10, 2014 at 08:12 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.