New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · concert shots for c&c

ATurturro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · concert shots for c&c

hi all,

here are a few shots from a recent concert. all comments and critiques are welcome and greatly appreciated.

more from this show can be found on flickr.

thanks,
ana

2. ">

Dec 07, 2014 at 11:10 AM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · concert shots for c&c

Good series .. well captured.

IMHO, maybe these would be fine in B&W ... for some reason I think the abstraction of B&W works ... but that is possibly a reflection of my age

Dec 07, 2014 at 01:31 PM
ATurturro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · concert shots for c&c

tonyfield wrote:
Good series .. well captured.

IMHO, maybe these would be fine in B&W ... for some reason I think the abstraction of B&W works ... but that is possibly a reflection of my age

Tony, thanks so much for taking the time to comment. i'll have to play around with some more b&w in post processing. thanks for the suggestion.

Dec 07, 2014 at 08:45 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · concert shots for c&c

Were you adding light on the faces, perhaps with an led panel, or did you just wait out a white spot?

Dec 07, 2014 at 09:14 PM
ATurturro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · concert shots for c&c

rodmcwha wrote:
Were you adding light on the faces, perhaps with an led panel, or did you just wait out a white spot?

i do not use any leds, strobes, or flashes... this particular venue has very poor lighting compared to most. i shoot at a very high iso (usually up to 12800) and with 2.8 or faster glass. shots where the subject appears illuminated: it's just the different lights that the venue has along with a custom white balance... out of 5000+ shots for the night, a few work out to have nice lighting..

Dec 07, 2014 at 10:39 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · concert shots for c&c

A fine set of pics.

Exceptional compositions and good light all around. #3 may be a tad soft, but for this venue it's still fine.

Good work. Maybe add the exif info for the benefit of others who may shoot concerts. It would be instructive.

Dec 08, 2014 at 02:44 AM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · concert shots for c&c

1 is my fav. What lenses are you using for that shot?

Good work.

Dec 08, 2014 at 03:52 PM
ATurturro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · concert shots for c&c

Jim Rickards wrote:
A fine set of pics.

Exceptional compositions and good light all around. #3 may be a tad soft, but for this venue it's still fine.

Good work. Maybe add the exif info for the benefit of others who may shoot concerts. It would be instructive.

thanks for the response. i'll have to add exif info on my next post. most tend to be around 12800, 2.8, 1/80-1/100...

Dec 08, 2014 at 09:57 PM
ATurturro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · concert shots for c&c

sonofjesse2010 wrote:
1 is my fav. What lenses are you using for that shot?

Good work.

thanks for the reply! #1 was with a 24-70/2.8. i either use a 24-70 or 300/2.8...

Dec 08, 2014 at 10:01 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · concert shots for c&c

Hi,
Very nice sets.
I am Trying to accelerate my concert shooting proficiency.
Would you mind please sharing some insight to the gig?
Did they limit how many songs you could photograph? The recent venue I was at shooting said absolutely Only the first three songs.

Who typically hires you for your concerts? Are you shooting as Press?
Or PR / promotional shots etc?
In this venue do you have pit access across the stage or limited to corners and aisles?

Thanks in advance.
Guy

Dec 19, 2014 at 01:54 AM
ATurturro
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · concert shots for c&c

gschlact wrote:
Hi,
Very nice sets.
I am Trying to accelerate my concert shooting proficiency.
Would you mind please sharing some insight to the gig?
Did they limit how many songs you could photograph? The recent venue I was at shooting said absolutely Only the first three songs.

Who typically hires you for your concerts? Are you shooting as Press?
Or PR / promotional shots etc?
In this venue do you have pit access across the stage or limited to corners and aisles?

Thanks in advance.
Guy

hi guy, thanks for taking the time to respond.

this concert was first 3 only... almost all shows are that way, unless it is a small venue with unknown (probably unsigned) bands that dont care (or have managers/publicists that would put a limit on photography).

this particular venue has a very narrow pit across the whole stage, but if it's a rough show, photographers arent permitted in the middle because it gets too dangerous with security trying to protect the band.

ive never been hired by anyone, although that would be a dream of mine... i shoot at this venue every few months as the unofficial house photographer (they give me admission and a press pass, and i give them some photos for their website). i really just do it to build up my portfolio and with hopes that someone will like my photos and eventually hire me to shoot a show.

let me know if you have any more questions, that maybe i can help out with.

thanks,
ana

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:19 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · concert shots for c&c

thanks for your info.
Can't post here directly, But just shot Sheila E tonight.
If you have time please have a look, feedback appreciated.
http://schlacter.smugmug.com/Performances/Shelia-E-2014-at-the-Genesee-T

Feel free to ignore the first 55 ambiance / theatre shots, they were requested by the sponsor.

I don't think she used many LED stage lights, HOWEVER, there was a TON of all-Purple and all-Red lighting that I really couldn't budge the White Balance and chose to leave as shown.

-Guy

Dec 20, 2014 at 03:52 AM
ATurturro
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · concert shots for c&c

gschlact wrote:
thanks for your info.
Can't post here directly, But just shot Sheila E tonight.
If you have time please have a look, feedback appreciated.
http://schlacter.smugmug.com/Performances/Shelia-E-2014-at-the-Genesee-T

Feel free to ignore the first 55 ambiance / theatre shots, they were requested by the sponsor.

I don't think she used many LED stage lights, HOWEVER, there was a TON of all-Purple and all-Red lighting that I really couldn't budge the White Balance and chose to leave as shown.

-Guy

guy, im going to PM you in a few minutes in response to the link you provided. -ana

Dec 21, 2014 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.