Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Long Lens Support

kipi

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Long Lens Support

The typical long lens support offerings from e.g. RRS and Heynar consist of a rail which attaches to the lens foot and a second support at the front of the lens.

I wonder whether it would increase stability substantially to add a third point of support at the back end of the lens or at the bottom of the camera?

Does anyone have experience with such an enhanced support?

Dec 07, 2014 at 03:32 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Long Lens Support

no, this is considered one of the best and there is only a single attachment to the lens foot:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/404536-REG/Wimberley_WH_200_Gimbal_Type_Tripod_Head.html

Dec 07, 2014 at 10:14 AM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Long Lens Support

Hey Morris he is talking about this http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/sc.26/category.621/it.C/.f

To be used along with a gimbal you posted. I tried the one from RRS a few years back with a 600mm and personally did not see any difference, it added bulk and weight and another thing to carry. Good legs and a good gimbal I feel is all you need. However I do know a couple of people that really like them. I personally do not think a third point would be beneficial at least from my experience, overkill maybe

Dec 07, 2014 at 10:24 AM
aboulenein
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Long Lens Support

When I recently got a 500mm lens, I saw the RRS long-lens support rail (and I think there may be one or two other similar devices out there), but have been hesitant to pull the trigger on one.

Given that one of the mainstays of long-lens technique is to use one arm to stabilize the lens from as close to the front element as you can reach (whether from above or below, opinions differ), is such a device actually likely to improve things beyond that? Would be interested to hear from others that have tried it.

Dec 07, 2014 at 10:42 AM
raymondjbarlow
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Long Lens Support

I use the Jobu Pro Gimbal ( i represent them here in Canada)

Once you are shown how to use this support correctly, your images will definitely improve., made a very large difference to me.

Dec 08, 2014 at 03:47 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.