New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Issues With LR5 Lens Correction as User Preset

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Issues With LR5 Lens Correction as User Preset

Ok, so for some reason i can't figure out how to get my LR preset that applies my "camera calibration" and lens correction to work correctly....So, i have a preset set to apply on import, which changes my profile to "Camera Neutral", and then applies lens correction profiles. The problem is, when i CREATE the preset, it uses the profile for whatever the initial lens was that i used on the image i created the preset off of.....does that make sense?

So i open an image.

I check "enable profile corrections"

I select "nikon" from the drop down menu, and it automatically knows i'm shooting with an 18-35.

I select my Camera Neutral profile.

Then i create a user preset, i check the appropriate parameters.

So now i have a preset that will change my camera profile, and my lens correction profile. Except, now when i go to apply this to an image that was shot with, say, and 80-200, it still picks the 18-35 profile. I know there's got to be a way to get it to automatically recognize what lens it was shot with......all i have to do is pick the lens brand, and i KNOWS from the exif what the lens model was...? i'm lost....When i set this up on my other computer, i'm almost 100% positive that when i apply this preset on import, it applies the CORRECT PROFILE to images shot with different lenses...but on my laptop it's not working the same....

Thoughts?

Dec 06, 2014 at 09:58 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Issues With LR5 Lens Correction as User Preset

Right under the check box for Enable Profile Correction there is a setup selection that has 3 possibilities: Default, Auto & Custom. Which even one you did pick in establishing your preset is most likely incorrect with the correct one being one of the other two. Going from memory, my guess its either Auto or default and would start by trying Auto.

Matt

Dec 07, 2014 at 09:25 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Issues With LR5 Lens Correction as User Preset

schlotz wrote:
Right under the check box for Enable Profile Correction there is a setup selection that has 3 possibilities: Default, Auto & Custom. Which even one you did pick in establishing your preset is most likely incorrect with the correct one being one of the other two. Going from memory, my guess its either Auto or default and would start by trying Auto.

Matt

I just got a chance to sit down and mess with it, and it's still not working....you'd think that if i set that dropdown to "auto", that it would pick the right lens based off of the exif....but it doesn't....actually, "auto" doesn't do ANYTHING, and neither does "default"....and even if i choose "custom", it doesn't do anything until i first select the lens brand, and then it automatically selects the correct lens...So tried it all 3 ways, and no dice.... :-(

Dec 08, 2014 at 08:10 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Issues With LR5 Lens Correction as User Preset

Interesting... just did a test by importing a photo. Brought it in, selected develop, then slid down to Lens Correction. In the profile tab, Setup is greyed out & set to 'Default', the Make, Model & Profile are showing 'None'. As soon as I click on enable, everything is populated with the correct info. Note: I did not separately select the make, model or profile types. This appears to be different than what you described above and may be at the crux of the issue. BTW my LR ver is 5.7, what is yours?

I went further to verify applying a preset upon importing (no calibration change though). It also worked so something seems to be off. Have you by chance tried this WITHOUT setting the camera calibration to neutral?

Dec 08, 2014 at 09:00 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Issues With LR5 Lens Correction as User Preset

Hmm I might have to try that...I'm still on LR 5.6...I can't imagine it would make to much difference, because my desktop machine is on 5.6, and it works seamlessly...I may have to delete and re-install LR...

Dec 08, 2014 at 09:07 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Issues With LR5 Lens Correction as User Preset

Update: Well apparently, there is nothing wrong with LR.......apparently LR doesn't like my 18-35D lens....or my Tokina 28-70.....but my 80-200 is working fine (i miss spoke earlier when i mentioned that it was affecting the 80-200).....so if i go and check the "enable profile corrections" on an 18-35 or tokina 28-70 image, it does nothing (until i select the correct lens brand).....if i check "enable profile corrections" on an 80-200 image, it works great. Same with my 85mm 1.8d. So weird.

Dec 08, 2014 at 04:37 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Issues With LR5 Lens Correction as User Preset

Sometimes Lr does not find the full lens data in whatever EXIF data field it looks. In that case it will have a lens focal length but perhaps not the brand, and so it needs a helping hand. Other software might look at different EXIF data fields and give the right result.

I've had this problem with different Canon 70-200mm lenses, but not on all of my Canon cameras. Somewhere along the way Canon changed the way their cameras record the lens data or else the way their lenses report their data to the camera, but older data is not corrected in older image files.

It is possible to group your images in Lr based on camera and lens data, and perhaps some optional EXIF lens data if you have a suitable plug-in that can find it. Then you can apply the right corrections to all of the appropriate images.

- Alan

Dec 14, 2014 at 03:09 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.