New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Some 7DMKII do have focus issues

Hillrg`
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some 7DMKII do have focus issues

My first 7DMKII would miss the focus on static subjects 60-70% of the time under ideal circumstances. It would miss focus by seemingly random amounts - both back and front. I sent Canon several series of test images based on their instructions and finally they asked me to send them the camera for repair. At that point my vendor provided my with a replacement body. The replacement does not appear to have any focus issues.

If anyone is interested, this is what Canon requested:

1. Return the camera to factory settings
  2. Take a series of shots of a target (I did a doll at 30 meters, 600/4 lens)
  3. Send them the images

They basically want to be able to confirm you are in the correct one shot mode and where the active focus point is.

If your 7DMKII is not nailing the focus using the factory settings and you have checked that live view focusing does nail the focus then I suspect you have a bad sample.

Dec 06, 2014 at 06:32 PM
ox0312
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some 7DMKII do have focus issues

I had similar issues with my copy despite the MA multiple time on lenses. Each time I was getting different MA value. I send mine back to B&H and got an exchange today. Will test tomorrow.

Dec 06, 2014 at 06:54 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some 7DMKII do have focus issues

Yes! I am having the same problem as you may have seen on the thread I posted. I have my fingers crossed that when I send mine in for replacement, that I get a good copy!

Dec 06, 2014 at 07:10 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some 7DMKII do have focus issues

Well I can verify a few things about Hillrg's post. Canon Canada always wants images. Not sure why because Canon USA never asks for them. They just go through all the settings to verify everything is calibrated correctly. I always feel that someone looking at images is subjective, not objective. Sharp to one person is different to another. Maybe there is another reason.

You are lucky you got a replacement. If you are not a CPS member the turn around is 8 weeks last I heard. Also big country sent his to NJ and they had to wait for a tool. Not sure where TO is with that.

Dec 06, 2014 at 08:24 PM
Hillrg`
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some 7DMKII do have focus issues

Zenon Char wrote:
You are lucky you got a replacement. If you are not a CPS member the turn around is 8 weeks last I heard. Also big country sent his to NJ and they had to wait for a tool. Not sure where TO is with that.

I got a replacement because my vendor gave me an exchange, not because Canon came through. And the images I sent would not meet anyone's standards for "in focus". I think the Canon technicians are in a tough spot - I doubt they are allowed to speculate on possible "defects".

Dec 06, 2014 at 11:16 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some 7DMKII do have focus issues

Every new camera model has some cameras that have issues. There are a huge number of cameras suddenly put into service, and there will be bad ones. I did not buy one, but I was not concerned about AF issues, I just know from experience that crop sensors are not going to match my FF, particularly in low light conditions.

Its really difficult to determine how many problem cameras there actually were, but it seems to be a small number, I've heard of two confirmed cases, and I'm sure there are more. There were probably 150,000 or more cameras put into service, so even 100 or 200 with issues is a very small percentage.

Dec 07, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Some 7DMKII do have focus issues

You said the vendor so I knew it was not canon. If it is a focus issue I'm not sure what you need to do past just verifying all AF functions are correctly calibrated. Still not sure why one place needs images and the other does not.

The only other time I sent something to canon warranty work was a lens. TO wanted pictures first so I sent it to NJ instead and I'm a Canadian CPS member.

Dec 07, 2014 at 12:33 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Some 7DMKII do have focus issues

Zenon Char wrote:
Well I can verify a few things about Hillrg's post. Canon Canada always wants images. Not sure why because Canon USA never asks for them. They just go through all the settings to verify everything is calibrated correctly. I always feel that someone looking at images is subjective, not objective. Sharp to one person is different to another. Maybe there is another reason.

You are lucky you got a replacement. If you are not a CPS member the turn around is 8 weeks last I heard. Also big country sent his to NJ and they had to wait for
...Show more

anyone with a problem should become a CPS member then .. if the repair takes longer than 6 days call them.. they'll send you a 1DX to play with till yours is fixed

Dec 07, 2014 at 04:55 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Some 7DMKII do have focus issues

I don't think my membership level has replacement but I'll check.

Dec 07, 2014 at 09:34 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Some 7DMKII do have focus issues

Zenon Char wrote:
You said the vendor so I knew it was not canon. If it is a focus issue I'm not sure what you need to do past just verifying all AF functions are correctly calibrated. Still not sure why one place needs images and the other does not.

The only other time I sent something to canon warranty work was a lens. TO wanted pictures first so I sent it to NJ instead and I'm a Canadian CPS member.

Not sure why you have a problem with one place wanting images, and one not.

Sent a lens (not under warranty) to Canon Canada. They checked and repaired for about $300, was done within a week, and they paid shipping both ways. CPS member.

Dec 07, 2014 at 12:28 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Some 7DMKII do have focus issues

scalesusa wrote:
Every new camera model has some cameras that have issues. There are a huge number of cameras suddenly put into service, and there will be bad ones. I did not buy one, but I was not concerned about AF issues, I just know from experience that crop sensors are not going to match my FF, particularly in low light conditions.

Its really difficult to determine how many problem cameras there actually were, but it seems to be a small number, I've heard of two confirmed cases, and I'm sure there are more. There were probably 150,000 or more cameras put into
...Show more

And how would you her about other cases of the camera not focusing. I think the vast majority of people would just send back a bad focusing camera without telling the world about it.

Dec 07, 2014 at 03:05 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Some 7DMKII do have focus issues

I expect somewhere around a 3% failure rate for electronic goods. If Canon sold 150,000 7D Mark II cameras, that translates to 4500 units.

Dec 07, 2014 at 03:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.