Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon/PocketWizard or Yongnuo?

kv9f68
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon/PocketWizard or Yongnuo?

Hey everybody,

I've recently started to dabble in flash photography and want to expand from my current on-camera set-up. I've been doing bounce and fill-flash but would like to start getting off camera and eventually adding another flash or two, softboxes, umbrelllas, etc... With Christmas coming up I'm looking into getting some equipment since I've been a good boy this year My question is, before I start down that rabbit hole which way should I go?

I currently have a Canon 580EXII and was looking at going the PocketWizard route to get it off camera via the Mini TT1, Flex TT5 and AC3 controller (i.e. the expensive route). I'd also probably add another 580EXII or 430EX later on as a secondary flash. I like the idea of being able to utilize ETTL with that method. Although I'm currently reading and watching as much info as I can on flash and lighting so in the future I may just do manual. I'm also thinking of picking up a Sekonic L358 or L478DR as some point also if that makes a difference.

Should I go that route or possibly start looking into the cheaper Yongnuo YN-560II and YN-560TX options? I'd consider myself a serious hobbyist and don't mind spending a little money (I buy mostly used) but I'd like to get the most bang for my buck and the ability to expand the set-up in the future if the situation arises. I currently have no room to set up a studio of any sorts but could probably get enough room to mess around with some portrait shoots if need be. I would also like to be able to use these in outdoor settings as well.

I'd just like to hear other's opinions or experience with either set-up (or totally different for that matter) and do you have regrets for going that route? I just don't know what I don't know and since I'm just starting out with this venture I want to try to avoid the..."I wish I had done this instead..." scenario. Thanks.

Dec 06, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Weez
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon/PocketWizard or Yongnuo?

If you want the most bang for your buck, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than the Yongnuo setup. I recently picked up a couple of 560 iii's and a tx. Works beautifully, the build quality is excellent. It's hard to believe the low cost of these things.

But you won't get TTL with it. Shooting manual isn't difficult, so don't think you need to go the auto route just to get your feet wet. Nothing wrong with TTL, but you'll spend more.

I'll be getting a couple more 560 iii's soon, and I'll still have spent over 200 dollars less than the cost of just one SB910.

Good luck, and happy shopping.

Edit: if you go with Yongnuo, check youtube for videos on how to set them up - the manuals suck.

Dec 06, 2014 at 05:23 PM
kv9f68
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon/PocketWizard or Yongnuo?

Thanks Weez. I actually ordered the Yongnuo 622C and 622C-TX yesterday so I should still be able to get TTL and get my 580 off the camera for now. I figured for under $100 I'll give it a shot and see how they work. I've read and heard that the instructions aren't the best by any means so I've been checking out some YouTube already. I'll see how it goes when I get them. Thanks.

Dec 07, 2014 at 06:21 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.