Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · 'Bad' Weddings?

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 'Bad' Weddings?

So we all have our typical weddings, sprinkled with a few gems that make us think "I can't believe I get paid to do this!" - but what about the lousy ones?

What about those weddings where nothing seems to go right, everything is rushed, and you dread having to edit through the images that you know aren't your best?

I had one like that recently - nice couple, but everything was off: both sides of the bridal party ran super late (rushing everything and missing almost all daylight), the reception hall was painted black from floor to ceiling, and we had all of 5 minutes for newlywed 'creative' photos. In the dark. Including set up time.

Most of the time couples wouldn't even notice and would still be pleased - but what if they do notice and mention it? Do you remind them of the day and how certain things weren't possible (out of your control)?

I'm probably just too hard on myself because I compare it to what 'could have been'...but with sites like Pinterest nowadays, I wonder if brides can be aware enough of their wedding day to realize that some things just don't fit.

Anyone else get haunted by these?

/semirantover

Dec 06, 2014 at 02:17 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 'Bad' Weddings?

thebeginning wrote:

Anyone else get haunted by these?

Problems like you described, Daniel, don't bother me all that much. Mainly what gets to me is no chemistry with the client. Or bad chemistry. Or lack of respect from the client. Hate editing those because I have to look at their faces over and over in the editing.

Dec 06, 2014 at 05:05 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 'Bad' Weddings?

I, long ago, stop worring about the not perfect wedding in terms of timing, scene, ... as long as the atmosphere is good.

Dec 06, 2014 at 05:12 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 'Bad' Weddings?

it really sucks, I had 2 like that this summer, and the funny part is that they spent tons of money in one of those 2.
Nothing worst than rushing doing the bridal portraits, you have no time to get creative, but after the wedding they're desperate to see the images.

Dec 06, 2014 at 06:58 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 'Bad' Weddings?

Well, some of my best weddings in terms of client satisfaction are these ones so when they see the pictures/album they dont beleive it could be done in such a messy day although I, in my interior say, what the fuck !!!

Dec 06, 2014 at 07:05 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 'Bad' Weddings?

It's inevitable in any job, there are going to be good days and bad days.

had one this year, it was rainy, cloudy, the bridal party wasn't very interested in photos, everything was indoors under terribly flat tungsten light, the couple was interracial so exposure was really tough. The ceremony had really harsh tungsten spotlights on them as they were indoors that were on thier body, but cut off at thier head, so the groom (being a black guy), was barely visible as it was against a dark curtain. Then during the reception all of my gear decided to stop working, had a weird error code on my main body, the flashes were spotty, just a majorly frustrating day through and through. Editing it was one of the more upsetting days of my career, so many things just sorta botched, but the bride and groom LOVED the photos. Super stoked, super easy going, so I guess I got lucky, but as long as you show up, dig in, and give it your all, what else can you do?

Dec 06, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 'Bad' Weddings?

what bothers me are disrespectful clients (MOB/FOB/etc) or somebody who is really trashed and they are part of the wedding party.

Also... a member of the wedding party who has a personal agenda and does not understand the possible affects on somebody else's wedding pictures ... For years to come.

This year, I was 2nd shooting. We were setting up a nice evening B&G shot. One of the groomsmen came out and basically cussed out the primary because he thought these pictures where a waste of time.
Embarrassment for everybody... Several of us jumped in to move him along.
Wedding clientele: mostly local doctors and head of surgical staff at 2 major hospitals. Groom recently became a surgical doctor. Basically a high budget wedding.
Sad...

Dec 06, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 'Bad' Weddings?

D. Diggler wrote:
Problems like you described, Daniel, don't bother me all that much. Mainly what gets to me is no chemistry with the client. Or bad chemistry. Or lack of respect from the client. Hate editing those because I have to look at their faces over and over in the editing.

Ugh yeah I hate that.

In wedding photography we move on to the next job very quickly, even if things went badly I usually know I did the best I could given the situation and don't beat myself up. No matter how bad it was I still got paid.

In my day job not so much...a bad project can and be a constant drama for well over a year!

Dec 06, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 'Bad' Weddings?

What I find weird is that a lot of jobs that I think I sucked the most on my clients thank me the most. It happens the more with engagement sessions.

Dec 06, 2014 at 02:52 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 'Bad' Weddings?

In the past year the worst I've seen:
- groom had a no-go still on his tuxedo, and was missing the first 1.5 hours I was going to shoot him... he thought the cops towed his car (when in fact he just forgot it was 2 blocks somewhere else)--then for the first look the groom + I + video crew got stuck in a really out-of-nowhere heavy downpour
- a groom's house (getting ready) where all the window shades and curtains were immovable, and it was a really messy house, where the only accessible window was cluttered with tons of stuff + walls had some paint peeling

You do what you can. I feel like if something is delayed during the day and it's not your fault, it's fine as client can't blame you. But if you get a dark-as-heck or cramped or ugly location with different temperature lighting from multiple sources that you can't turn off, that's the most challenging thing to work with (assuming the people are reasonable and no bad uncle Bobs).

Dec 06, 2014 at 05:43 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 'Bad' Weddings?

It was in 2009... I had a cute couple and the engagement shots went well. We stopped by and looked at the church, a cavernous Catholic church with gorgeous ambient light. I thought...cool!

That was in July. Wedding was an evening deal in December. Darkest damn church I had ever shot in... it was awful. Nothing I did mattered.

To boot... the reception was at a beach house under a car port.

Probably my worst... and after 100+/- weddings (until this October) it was my last.

Dec 06, 2014 at 09:16 PM
cwes
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 'Bad' Weddings?

thebeginning wrote:
So we all have our typical weddings, sprinkled with a few gems that make us think "I can't believe I get paid to do this!" - but what about the lousy ones?

What about those weddings where nothing seems to go right, everything is rushed, and you dread having to edit through the images that you know aren't your best?

I had one like that recently - nice couple, but everything was off: both sides of the bridal party ran super late (rushing everything and missing almost all daylight), the reception hall was painted black from floor to ceiling, and we had
...Show more

They are a downer. Can you share a few of the photos from it? would like to see what you did with the bad situation.

Dec 07, 2014 at 04:08 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 'Bad' Weddings?

You're honest, I can admire that. This is on my phone so apologies for the shortness:

- Be positive in difficult situations. Focus on solutions.
- Always think about the client, even in the mayhem
- Be honest with yourself when you review. Did you make a mistake? How could your process improve? Did the clients align with all your requirements? Do you need to work on your process of taking on work? Do you need to manage expectations better?
- Take action on your own conclusions

In my own work, I find it's far from rainbows and sunsets. It can be a mess, but often that is an important ingredient. As long as I've done the right work before the day (getting the right client, aligning expectations, planning), the work itself is always good an people are happy.

With all that, some are more difficult than others, yes, but it's all so varied and colourful that it's just part of what it's all about. Bad vs good is too simple.

Happy shooting!

Dec 08, 2014 at 08:06 AM
Jim Heine
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 'Bad' Weddings?

What you're describing sounds like 95%+ of my weddings. The most important thing is that everyone has a good time. It shows in the final product and they'll remember that more than anything. Some of my favorite moments are when things don't go according to the plan. It makes weddings unique, and is why I get up in the morning. If I stay present and don't force my vision of the wedding, I find the couple and myself are rewarded with good photos.

Dec 08, 2014 at 08:57 AM
Jim Heine
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 'Bad' Weddings?

Also I wouldn't make any excuses or try to cover my back unless they come to you about an issue they had. They might be slightly insulted that I think something was wrong with their wedding or that I didn't like their wedding. We're the professionals, so we just gotta git er done.

Dec 08, 2014 at 09:02 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 'Bad' Weddings?

Jim Heine wrote:
If I stay present.

Jim hit the nail on the head right here. 100%. I tell my self this all the time, "stay in it". Don't tune out or get a bad attitude because things aren't going according to plan or the videographers a pain the ass, or the light sucks. Keep digging and keep looking and do what you gotta do to make good photos. Thats' why Jim is as good as he is. Period.

Dec 08, 2014 at 09:40 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 'Bad' Weddings?

I suppose the wedding where the MoB cursed her daughter out non-stop all day, from prep to formals, would fall into this category.

I'll never forget 1 of the bridesmaid's looking at me with a horrified glance, asking me, "Is this normal?"

Dec 08, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 'Bad' Weddings?

I suppose the wedding where the MoB cursed her daughter out non-stop all day, from prep to formals, would fall into this category.

I'll never forget 1 of the bridesmaid's looking at me with a horrified glance, asking me, "Is this normal?"

Dec 08, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 'Bad' Weddings?

I am deeply bothered when I have days like this. I despise it. But...

Educating your clients the day of is key. Do not confront them saying, "You ran late. So we're late. And can't do that now. It's your fault."

But just tell them, calmly, and say, "Hey, we're running a little behind. If we move quickly through this, we'll still have time for things." Stuff like that goes a long way. Not only have I found that they'll be insanely happy with the results, if you get anything at all, but they'll be far less inclined to be upset of things didn't get as much coverage as they wanted, because they ran late.

And try to remember... all of us here see anywhere from 10-50 weddings a year. We know "what could have been" if only they'd...

...run on time;
...told their MUA to hurry up;
...budgeted for evening portraiture;
...not gotten married in a dark church in December;
...not started a fist fight with their mother;
...not gotten a facial scrub two before their wedding, giving them really bad acne.

They don't see that. It's their first... maybe second rodeo. So don't be so hard on yourself.

Dec 08, 2014 at 01:24 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 'Bad' Weddings?

Real life ≠ Pinterest

Like Jim said, if the vibe is "off", I focus on keeping everyone happy. If they have overall good memories of the day, it won't matter if the photos are not top notch, because they will have the strong positive memories associated with them anyways, which is INFINITELY more valuable than adding to the stress by trying to cram in more photos.

My two ¢

Dec 08, 2014 at 01:39 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.