New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

philfra

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

I know that people who find use for this lens consider it to be top of the line. A couple of months ago I began to really consider getting one. Other than the reviews and images I have seen done with it, I had no other drive to order one other than curiosity so I ordered one here in Ontario, Canada. A month has gone by so I checked in today with Henrys and no indication of a delivery date so far. This tells me they are still making more at Canon. I know I could cover the usage with a 100mm but it is very close in length to my 85 1.8, so I now I am second guessing. I'd use it on my 7D and 6D. My question is "has it been the recent discussion on the virtues of the lens that has driven demand so high, or has this always been the case?" Just wondering. Btw I would use it for portrait and some sports just to meet my family and friends needs. I do keep half and eye out on B&S.

Dec 05, 2014 at 07:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

It's in stock at TCS,

http://www.thecamerastore.com/2223-Canon-EF-135mm-f2-0L-USM.aspx

and at CC

http://www.cameracanada.com/enet-cart/product.asp?pid=2520A004

??

Dec 05, 2014 at 07:56 PM
philfra

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

Thanks for the info, I guess I centred on Henrys because I have more access to that outlet and like to try out what I buy, just came off a road trip and happened to stop there on a whim on my way home.

Dec 05, 2014 at 08:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

You know, this is how internet rumours start...

Dec 05, 2014 at 08:07 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

People have always talked about the virtues of this lens because it is fabulous. But it is also a little bit of a specialty lens in that it is quite long on crop.

It's almost always available on b/s for reasonable prices. Lots of people sell them because they don't use the focal length or because they just use their 70-200. But if you have a need for it, it is a special lens.

Dec 05, 2014 at 08:11 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

We all seem to value that lens highly, yet many of us do not use it often, and perhaps not near its full potential. That has been the case for a very long time.
However, 135L is surely one of the greatest old time EF lenses, and even today it offers an admirable and inexpensive portrait photography alternative to 200 f/2 IS and 200 f/1.8.
135L can also be used for more application types than portraits alone.

Edited on Dec 05, 2014 at 09:42 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2014 at 08:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

135mm pijun.

Dec 05, 2014 at 08:12 PM
philfra

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

Perhaps, not intended, just curious after four hour drive ..

Dec 05, 2014 at 08:28 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

I bought my 135/2 L lens used a few years back, and it will be one of the keeper Canon lenses for me. It is fantastic wide open. I don't use this lens too often, but when I do, the photos taken with it shine!

Dec 05, 2014 at 08:36 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

A while back I tested both the 100L and 135L side by side, read reviews and a few FM members sent me sample images. For my purposes, handholding various shots including portraits in particular close-up/macro imaging, the IS of the 100L won my dollars.

But, there will be a day when the 135L sneaks into my kit. It is not just f2 fast, it's AF is insanely fast, balance is simply superb, it's bokeh buttery smooth and it's tack, tack, SHARP

A reference point, I'm disabled and find IS to be a 'huge' bonus that gives me a bit more freedom to move about. With the right technique tho a non-IS lens can produce just as sharp images. Back in my film days my first telephoto was a 135 f2.5 and it was fantastic for low light events and most everything else; I'm one of the weirdos who actually likes the focal length...

If you've got the budget for the 135L do grab one and enjoy it fully, and remember as with most L glass it should be easy to sell if needed. Also don't forget either buying from an FM member or a refurbished lens directly from Canon is an option; my 100L is a refurb and it's a gem

Cheers,
Jerry

A few years back my still fingers and shaky arms/hands went bee hunting, with gripped 40D and 100 f2.8 non-L/IS this was captured; the 135L would have performed just as well at a longer distance and kept me safer; a 300 f4L would have worked just as well but where's the fun in that

Edited on Dec 05, 2014 at 09:22 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2014 at 09:13 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

I've almost succumbed to the ordering button a few times when browsing the 135L flickr threads. Holy #&$# it's a nice rendering lens, especially wide open. Plus its more or less affordable by us mere mortals.

Dec 05, 2014 at 09:17 PM
philfra

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

Thanks Retro and Jerry, I suppose my mind was made up when I asked them to bring one in, I do tend to hold on to things until I might need them, my wife considers that hoarding when talking about lenses, but she doesn't understand

Dec 05, 2014 at 09:21 PM
Coltrane
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

I've had this lens for years, but as others have commented, I do not use it very often. I usually reach for one of my 100mm lenses or my 200mm 2.8. I've thought of selling it, but it has it's own unique look that I just can't get from other lenses. It might be the sharpest lens I own, and it really shines on the 6D.

Dec 05, 2014 at 09:36 PM
gordorad
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

It's fantastic for indoor sports when you can be down on the floor....

Also, it is almost a 60% increase in focal length vs the 85mm. I use both and find them quite different and both useful.

Dec 05, 2014 at 09:57 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

philfra wrote:
I know that people who find use for this lens consider it to be top of the line. A couple of months ago I began to really consider getting one. Other than the reviews and images I have seen done with it, I had no other drive to order one other than curiosity so I ordered one here in Ontario, Canada. A month has gone by so I checked in today with Henrys and no indication of a delivery date so far. This tells me they are still making more at Canon. I know I could cover the usage with
...Show more

I can't comment on the stock issues.

I had the lens for quite some time. It is a very nice lens, and at the relatively low price one of the best quality/cost deals available from Canon. It has all the things that we have long looked for in a 135mm prime (long a very common short tele focal length) — excellent resolution, great bokeh, fine construction, reasonable size, large f/2 aperture.

If you need such a critter, you can't go wrong with this lens.

I loved mine. However, eventually I realized that I wasn't using it all that much, even for the sorts of shooting for which I had gotten it, namely low light indoor work with subjects such as musicians. Instead, I was reaching for a large aperture zoom with IS that provides excellent image quality, too, along with good low light performance and focal length flexibility.

Selling the 135 was pretty much a practical decision. I loved the lens and wanted to find more uses for it... but simply wasn't using it enough to hang on to it.

YMMV,

Dan

Dec 05, 2014 at 10:29 PM
philfra

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

Thanks everyone, as I knew I will either use it, or not so much. When it comes in I will use it as much as I can and then decide..family and friends "donated" funds for my birthday back in October for my kit and I've just been sitting on that.

Dec 05, 2014 at 10:54 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

My 135mmL was my most used lens until I bought a 5D MK III and 70-200mm MK II. Now it gets very little use, so I suppose I'll sell it, but I hate to see it go.

Dec 05, 2014 at 10:55 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

scalesusa wrote:
My 135mmL was my most used lens until I bought a 5D MK III and 70-200mm MK II. Now it gets very little use, so I suppose I'll sell it, but I hate to see it go.

The 70-200 is a great lens but really conspicuous. I'd like a 135 to compliment it for those occasions I don't want to stand out.

Dec 05, 2014 at 11:32 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

I've owned two.
hard to shoot.
great results when it worked.
can't do it anymore. Sold it.

Dec 05, 2014 at 11:50 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why so much demand for the 135mmL

Best Peeping Tom lens for great candid people photos. works great in Vegas.
short, black, inconspicuous. quick focus in dark settings. got mine $929 from Adorama.
Perfect with 5D3 and 6D.

Dec 06, 2014 at 12:17 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.