Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Midnight moon

Last night..

Dec 05, 2014 at 03:37 AM
TJ Asher
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Midnight moon

A lovely series. They almost looks like daylight shots desaturated.

Dec 06, 2014 at 12:51 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Midnight moon

Beautiful: ethereal and dream-like, yet crisp at the same time.

Would you mind sharing technique? Were these long exposures? How did you get such crisp fine details as in, e.g., the pine leaves against the sky, at night? No wind? Multiple exposures blended?

Dec 06, 2014 at 01:40 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Midnight moon

Really nice images. The last one stands out to me in terms of the quality of light and the composition

Dec 06, 2014 at 01:43 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Midnight moon

Dreamy, nice images.

Mike

Dec 06, 2014 at 01:44 PM
M_J_Helin
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Midnight moon

Thanks everyone

jeetsukumaran wrote:
Beautiful: ethereal and dream-like, yet crisp at the same time.

Would you mind sharing technique? Were these long exposures? How did you get such crisp fine details as in, e.g., the pine leaves against the sky, at night? No wind? Multiple exposures blended?

Well, the night was still so I was able to use long exposure and rather moderate iso - speed (800). I used the 14mm Samyang at f4. Focus was around 3 meters.

The real trick was the fog. Clouds of fog slowly passed by and the funny thing was that it was thickest around five meters hight. That combined with the nearly full moon was the actual trick behind these pictures.

But yes, I did spend a couple of minutes post processing the files to get the night /dreamland look. The files straight from camera looked like pretty much this:

Dec 06, 2014 at 02:52 PM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Midnight moon

Love the drama/horror feeling, well done!
The last one stands out for me.

Andrey

Dec 06, 2014 at 03:03 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Midnight moon

M_J_Helin wrote:
Thanks everyone

Well, the night was still so I was able to use long exposure and rather moderate iso - speed (800). I used the 14mm Samyang at f4. Focus was around 3 meters.

The real trick was the fog. Clouds of fog slowly passed by and the funny thing was that it was thickest around five meters hight. That combined with the nearly full moon was the actual trick behind these pictures.

But yes, I did spend a couple of minutes post processing the files to get the night /dreamland look. The files straight from camera looked like
...Show more

Post-processing is definitely a true technical art that is now as much part of photography as the initial in-camera exposure, and you are definitely a skilled artist in both!

Dec 06, 2014 at 03:29 PM
M_J_Helin
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Midnight moon

jeetsukumaran wrote:
Post-processing is definitely a true technical art that is now as much part of photography as the initial in-camera exposure, and you are definitely a skilled artist in both!

Thank you

But I must say that I don't think of myself as a post processing guru, far from it. But I know my gears and I know what I like to photograph and how I like the pictures to look. I usually try to make the pictures to show a little bit of the unknown, the fairy/spirit world. I don't know if it actually exists, but...

Dec 06, 2014 at 03:53 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Midnight moon

M_J_Helin wrote:
Thank you

But I must say that I don't think of myself as a post processing guru, far from it. But I know my gears and I know what I like to photograph and how I like the pictures to look. I usually try to make the pictures to show a little bit of the unknown, the fairy/spirit world. I don't know if it actually exists, but...

Guru or not, you achieved the vision. What camera did you use, and how many stops did you have to pull to get the foreground? How did you deal with the noise?

I ask all these questions because I have just started experimenting with "nightscapes", and the trade-off between (movement-)blurred foliage/details and sensor noise etc. is a problem that I am beginning to deal with in earnest!

Dec 06, 2014 at 03:59 PM
M_J_Helin
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Midnight moon

jeetsukumaran wrote:
Guru or not, you achieved the vision. What camera did you use, and how many stops did you have to pull to get the foreground? How did you deal with the noise?

I ask all these questions because I have just started experimenting with "nightscapes", and the trade-off between (movement-)blurred foliage/details and sensor noise etc. is a problem that I am beginning to deal with in earnest!

Well, the equipments were D600, Samyang 14mm 2.8. I used iso 800 and shutter speed was 30 seconds. That way the highlights were just about to overexposure. Therefore I was able to get the shadow areas to look good without the ugly blown white areas. No noise reduction done in post processing. But how I edit /shoot pictures varies every time.

Dec 06, 2014 at 04:30 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Midnight moon

Thanks!

Appreciate your sharing of the info!

Dec 06, 2014 at 06:00 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Midnight moon

I really like the misty and atmospheric feel to these. The last is my favorite because the composition feels so open.

Dec 07, 2014 at 01:13 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.