Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · 1D4 AF speed with 2x and 70-200II - really this slow?

pjbuehner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1D4 AF speed with 2x and 70-200II - really this slow?

I have the original 1.4x and 2.0x and my longest lens is a 300mm 2.8 IS version 1 so that is what I was referring to. Yes, I stick with my "brutal" assessment. As I have stated before, it could be a coming together of three pieces of great equipment that don't mate well.
Using the 1D IV with the 300 and 2.0x the bokeh is very funky looking and sharpness and contrast are very negatively impacted. I have yet to try that combo on my 5D III...might be a good experiment.
My best guess is a not so great 2.0x TC or at least that is the easiest explanation.

Cheers,
Peter

Dec 06, 2014 at 10:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1D4 AF speed with 2x and 70-200II - really this slow?

You'll be pleasantly surprised by the dramatic increase in IQ if you ungrade to the 2x Mk III.

Dec 06, 2014 at 11:55 AM
mptnest
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1D4 AF speed with 2x and 70-200II - really this slow?

Shooting with a 2X is like shooting with a new camera body. You have to take time to learn its strengths and weaknesses; low light being a main drawback. I find a Mk IV coupled with a 600 series II with a 2X III an incredible combination. Again, there's a wicked learning curve using it and it is not focus forgiving due actually to too fast focus acquisition. If you get off the subject a little, your focus is quickly blown to infinity.

I also shoot with the 70-200 2.8 II on my Mk IV for big game. I have no complaints with focus speed or image quality, but again remembering there's a learning curve.

photo to illustrate the focus & IQ of an IF taken with the 600 II, 2X III combo in a normally difficult, low contrast shot. The increased reach actually helps the focus speed in distance challenged situations.

Dec 06, 2014 at 08:30 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.