New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Gear advice for portraits

Highborne

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gear advice for portraits

Hi, im new here and this is my first post. I would like to ask gear advice for portraitures. I currently have a D610, a 24-70 2.8 and an 85 1.8. I am torn between getting a backup body or another lens. My choices are D7000, Nikon 135 f2 DC or Tamron 70-200 VC. Thanks!

Dec 03, 2014 at 07:24 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gear advice for portraits

For paid work or what? Families, individuals, senior photos, pet photos, horse photos, what? In your studio, outdoor, other location, what?

---> What lighting system do you have now?

Kent in SD

Dec 03, 2014 at 07:25 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gear advice for portraits

The 85mm 1.8 can do fine portatis if you don't have any lights, buy a cheap refelctor and try natural light at first.l

If your shooting events you might need a 70-200mm

Dec 03, 2014 at 07:34 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gear advice for portraits

that 135 extends your envelope (and can help flatten facial features and further bokehism)

Dec 03, 2014 at 07:39 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gear advice for portraits

+1 for the 135mm. Hate and love relationships with the 135mm F2 DC though

Dec 03, 2014 at 07:43 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gear advice for portraits

Oh, and the 180mm 2.8. Very underrated lens can be had for less than $400 used but hard to find.

Dec 03, 2014 at 07:44 PM
Highborne

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gear advice for portraits

I do family and seniors in natural light as a side job but I want to excel on artistic, fashion and tight shots. My 24-70 is my workhorse lens but last week my friend lent me his 135 f2 DC and it just blew me away. The bokeh was amazing and the shots I took was super sharp. However, I am still torn because the 70-200 gives you more versatility but then again the 135 is a specialized lens for portraiture which I really want to improve and excel at.

Dec 03, 2014 at 08:49 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gear advice for portraits

Highborne wrote:
I do family and seniors in natural light as a side job but I want to excel on artistic, fashion and tight shots..

For that you NEED lights. You can't expect paying customers to work on your schedule, when you think the light is working. You have to be prepared to work around THEIR schedule. That means you must master lighting, absolutely. Fashion shots will need to be done in places the existing light is bad--a pro will have the ability to make the light GOOD, no matter the circumstance. A pro can deliver results without depending on fickle ambient light.

---->Your number one priority is a solid, capable, portable lighting system. Period. AFTER you have a lighting system, the most versatile lens is a 70-200mm f2.8. Forget the 135mm for now. It's not flexible enough.

Kent in SD

Dec 03, 2014 at 08:56 PM
Highborne

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gear advice for portraits

@Two23

Thank you! I will go with the 70-200 for now. For lighting, I have been using speedlights for some outdoor shoots and renting a professional studio when needed. Have also thought of getting decent/good lighting but decided to get a lens for now. I see a couple of Alienbees in my near future lol

Dec 03, 2014 at 09:11 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gear advice for portraits

I did head shots for years on a large window with reflectors. And, was pretty well paid.

Lights add flexibility, nothing more. You don't need them to create a look of a portrait. That said, there is the type of person drawn into that 85mm (on a FF) and they'll squeal that nothing can touch it.

Others, the flexibility and look(compression) of a 9 blade 70-200 just can't be replaced.

I'm of the 2nd thinking. I could not shoot a head shot or portrait without a 70-200 and feel good about what I've produced. I do not like a fractional DOF where 1/2 inch either way will bust out my image, it's just too specialized for me and I don't think it look good.

My vote is the 70-200 /2.8

Dec 03, 2014 at 09:37 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gear advice for portraits

I would go for a used D7000 body. I did. You already have two lenses that will get you a portrait. With the crop factor of the D7000, you will get compression. You should have a backup body if you are a pro. One FX and one DX body can be worthwhile. More than a few mmbers here have that going for them. I am a prime lens fan and the 85mm F1.8 is always an essential item for me in my kit. I laugh at those who think they need a 70-200mm lens to be a photographer, other than those that shoot models on runways where it would be essential to my way of thinking. Welcome to FM, where you get a variety of shared experiences.

Dec 04, 2014 at 12:56 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gear advice for portraits

Highborne wrote:
Hi, im new here and this is my first post. I would like to ask gear advice for portraitures. I currently have a D610, a 24-70 2.8 and an 85 1.8. I am torn between getting a backup body or another lens. My choices are D7000, Nikon 135 f2 DC or Tamron 70-200 VC. Thanks!

I don't know what you shoot, or why, or if you do this for money, but I'm not sure why you need a backup body. If you're doing weddings that's one thing. But if you're starting out as a portrait photographer you don't need a backup right away. Nothing wrong with building up your lens kit first

Dec 04, 2014 at 02:48 AM
Highborne

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gear advice for portraits

@ohsnaphappy

I shoot portraits. Do family shoots and seniors on the side. I am torn between getting another lens first or getting a backup. Having 2 cameras helps in some situations eg beach shoots so you dont have to keep changing lenses but i also understand the importance of building your lenses first thus for now Im going to get the 70-200 first for more reach and versatility for certain situations

Dec 04, 2014 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.