Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · C&C on recent shot..good light but...

amiletich

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · C&C on recent shot..good light but...

Hoping some of you experts can help me out here. Was shooting at F5.6 with my 24-105mm lens on a 5DIII. I like the catch light reflecting in the eyes but when I zoom in I am a little disappointed the eyes themselves are not tack sharp. When you are not shooting in a studio, and on location for a wedding, lifestyle or portrait shoot, what's the best way to make sure the eyes are tack sharp? I don't think we have time to manually move the focus location to the eyes when the subject is moving around. Appreciate the help.

Dec 03, 2014 at 05:08 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · C&C on recent shot..good light but...

Camera shake.

If it was a focussing issue alone you'd have a sharp area either in front of or behind her eyes. That isn't the case - it is uniformly unsharp. You were shooting at 1/25th of a second and ignoring the 1/focal length "rule". Your subject may also sway a bit as is natural for standing people.

I'm much more bothered by the red line intersecting her face, her head position and expression anyway. Even if it was pin sharp it wouldn't work well.

But camera shake for sure.

Dec 03, 2014 at 05:50 PM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · C&C on recent shot..good light but...

Have you micro adjusted / calibrated the focus on your lens/body combination? This particular shot is front focused.

Dec 03, 2014 at 05:50 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · C&C on recent shot..good light but...

Even the skin pores aren't properly in focus though. You'd expect somewhere to be really sharp if that were the case.

Dec 03, 2014 at 05:53 PM
amiletich

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · C&C on recent shot..good light but...

I know this wasn't a good capture/expression, this was just one where I was wondering what might have happened. These were just impromptu fun shots. I think it may be camera shake as well, but just want to make sure there isn't anything else I should be doing as well.

Dec 03, 2014 at 06:50 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · C&C on recent shot..good light but...

Camera shake and shallow depth of field......turn up the ISO or add more light so you can speed up the shutter and reduce the aperture......there is no reason you shouldn't see fantastic detail in her eyes and eyelashes....

Also, just a critique.....I would have moved her slightly to my right so the red sign wasn't intersecting her at a strange place, or move her to my left to eliminate it, but I don't care for where it is in the background growing out of her shoulder.....

Dec 03, 2014 at 08:57 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · C&C on recent shot..good light but...

I'm with Ian...looks like camera shake was the culprit here, based on the numbers (shutter speed v focal length), despite IS on that lens. It does however appear that the tip of her nose is a bit sharper than the eyes, so there may be a degree of front focusing going on as well. As said by others, shallow DOF and slight swaying to-away from camera will cause focus issues. So two things for you to keep an eye on I guess. Good luck. The light does look nice there. Just watch the background as Herb pointed out.

Dec 04, 2014 at 01:32 AM
amiletich

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · C&C on recent shot..good light but...

thanks for the comments everyone. Appreciate it and I will keep a closer watch on those items next time.

Dec 04, 2014 at 12:04 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.