New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

ahender
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

Just received the replacement copy of my 7D mk II.

Much happier with this one. No MA on my 300 f4 and only +1 on the wide end for my 70-200 II lens.

The below image is from the first AISERVO sequence I took.

1/1000, f 3.2, ISO 500, 200 mm.

Case 1, focus priority, single point, no other default parameters changed.

No other processing. In-camera default settings.

Focus point on the nose.

Would you say the 100% crop is adequately sharp for this example?

I see so many razor sharp super tele images that I honestly do not know what to expect from the 70-200 II lens.

Thanks...Alan

http://www.newsrx.com/lancaster/abbi_full.jpg

http://www.newsrx.com/lancaster/abbi_crop.jpg

Dec 03, 2014 at 03:24 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

From what I have experimented so far, I think you can do better than that. Looks like some tiny pixel motion blur plus a bit too shallow DOF. Was IS switched on?

Maybe start with 1/1600+ and f/4-5.6+.

Dec 03, 2014 at 03:34 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

Would you say the 100% crop is adequately sharp for this example?

IMO, not even close to critically sharp.

John

Dec 03, 2014 at 03:44 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

John_T wrote:
From what I have experimented so far, I think you can do better than that. Looks like some tiny pixel motion blur plus a bit too shallow DOF. Was IS switched on?

Maybe start with 1/1600+ and f/4-5.6+.

IS was off. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow.

I'm confident my MA adjustments are correct. Took many shots at various distances and compared to manual focusing. Any adjustment made single shot worse.

Dec 03, 2014 at 03:51 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

No for the pixel peepers. For not zooming in at 100%, yes. I'd probably bump the shutter speed a bit.

Dec 03, 2014 at 03:51 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

BluesWest wrote:
IMO, not even close to critically sharp.

John

Thanks for the feedback. I would love for others who have this combination to provide what a 100% crop should look like. I asked for that over at DPR but the only responses I got was "Dude, that lens is crazy sharp!"

No one provided an example at 100% of what that means.

The crop I provided is considerable. At what point will a 100% crop start losing detail?

The crop in my original post represents ~1.25% of the original image.

Dec 03, 2014 at 03:59 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

You can use the Digital Picture utility to see various lenses at 100% at various settings to give you an example of sharpness.

70-200 IS II 3.2 200FL

It does not look dead on in focus to me but I'm wondering if it is motion blur. How fast was the dog running? 1/1000 may not be enough, especially for the pixel density of the 7D2.

Dec 03, 2014 at 06:23 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

She's very fast. So the consensus is this lens should be "very" sharp regardless of how much I crop as long as I have enough shutter speed. As long as my technique is good, camera settings are correct, razor sharp results?
ggreene wrote:
You can use the Digital Picture utility to see various lenses at 100% at various settings to give you an example of sharpness.

70-200 IS II 3.2 200FL

It does not look dead on in focus to me but I'm wondering if it is motion blur. How fast was the dog running? 1/1000 may not be enough, especially for the pixel density of the 7D2.

Dec 03, 2014 at 06:52 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

ahender wrote:
So the consensus is this lens should be "very" sharp regardless of how much I crop ....

The fact is that the more you crop the less sharp the image will be.

Dec 03, 2014 at 07:37 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

Imagemaster wrote:
The fact is that the more you crop the less sharp the image will be.

Your images are blistering sharp. Would a 1.25% crop of what you do look sharp at 100%? I know that is ridiculously small but that is just what I used to see the face at 100%. Up to this point, no has pointed out the size of my crop, even though I mentioned it. Am I being too anal? On the flip side, I did not use a test chart today.

Dec 03, 2014 at 07:43 PM
Phil McNeil
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

Two issues to address here. First, is your 70-200 sharp. Second, is the AF working well in servo mode.

For the first issue, take a shot of the pooch sitting still, if that is sharp, then your 70-200 is sharp. That will tell you that when the AF system tells the lens to focus at ten feet, it is focusing at ten feet.

After you have determined that the lens and your 7D are happy together you can test your AF tracking. Instead of the dog, which may cut and weave and get out of the focus spot, test with a subject which moves in a straight line towards you, for example a soccer ball rolled towards you.

If the camera/lens combo can give you sharp results in those two tests, you can move on to tests of tricky subjects and start to learn the custom features of the 7D 2 AF system.

Dec 03, 2014 at 08:03 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

Thanks for your response. I honestly do not know if my 70-200 II is as sharp as it should be. I have nothing to judge it against. People say look at the crops at The Digital Picture. That is not useful unless I have the same charts. I will say my lens is not consistently as sharp in AF as manual. It's close. Is that normal?

Phil McNeil wrote:
Two issues to address here. First, is your 70-200 sharp. Second, is the AF working well in servo mode.

For the first issue, take a shot of the pooch sitting still, if that is sharp, then your 70-200 is sharp. That will tell you that when the AF system tells the lens to focus at ten feet, it is focusing at ten feet.

After you have determined that the lens and your 7D are happy together you can test your AF tracking. Instead of the dog, which may cut and weave and get out of the focus spot, test with
...Show more

Dec 03, 2014 at 08:30 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

ahender wrote:
Your images are blistering sharp. Would a 1.25% crop of what you do look sharp at 100%? I know that is ridiculously small but that is just what I used to see the face at 100%. Up to this point, no has pointed out the size of my crop, even though I mentioned it. Am I being too anal? On the flip side, I did not use a test chart today.

Stop viewing your images at 100%. What is the point? Crop however you want, then make the image the size you want. If it is not sharp enough because of other factors, then you are over-cropping.

Over-cropping is the same as enlarging too much and results in the same loss of details.

Dec 03, 2014 at 09:35 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

Imagemaster wrote:
Stop viewing your images at 100%. What is the point? Crop however you want, then make the image the size you want. If it is not sharp enough because of other factors, then you are over-cropping.

Over-cropping is the same as enlarging too much and results in the same loss of details.

Can't do that. I always look at my images 100%. I was born that way.

Dec 03, 2014 at 09:42 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

Chances are much higher you're getting some motion blur in there than having a bad lens copy, especially considering you're shooting with a 20MP sensor.

Dec 03, 2014 at 09:43 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

sb in ak wrote:
Chances are much higher you're getting some motion blur in there than having a bad lens copy, especially considering you're shooting with a 20MP sensor.

I do not suspect a bad lens copy. I'm surprised someone has not come out and just said (if it is true), "Dude. That is a ridiculously small crop and it will never be sharp!"

Imagemaster has basically said that but in a more polite way.

I'll play around with it tomorrow and not look at such small crops.

Dec 03, 2014 at 09:52 PM
ppmax

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

FWIW I have a tack sharp (proven with other bodies) 70-200 f4 IS USM and some of my first action shots looked a little "micro blurry" at 1/1000 (sufficient to stop motion on m 5D3). You might try 1/1250 for a camera with this pixel density.

Can you post a 100% crop of the leaves in front of your dog? Crop across the dogs front legs, then down...

thx
PP

Dec 03, 2014 at 10:55 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

I don't know. 100% crops may not be ideal but it should look much better IMO. Since I can't afford the big guns like the 500L, etc I really on crops, sometimes pushed pretty hard. That shot looks front focused to me. Look at the leaves in the front and the sides of the pooch.

Although this is overkill it can be done.

7Dc

Here is one example why I stopped using TC's. I found I get a little CA with my 1.4 II so as far as IQ goes I don't much difference. I am on the fence about getting a 1.4 III since I'm going to get the new 100 - 400.

Dec 04, 2014 at 01:44 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

I do agree that 1/1000 may have been a little slow so the suggested faster speeds by everyone is good advice to eliminate any variables. I'm pretty sure you can almost start to freeze plane props. You need to shoot at 1/160 to blur them.

Try this at 1/1000

http://camerasim.com/apps/camera-simulator/

Dec 04, 2014 at 01:57 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7D mk II AISERVO Sample

Alan, I've got squirrels and birdies flitting around out there, and if the weather wasn't so dead gray and dim, I'd go out there and shoot you something. The snapshot below from the other day is lousy, but it gives a hint of what this gear can do. If I didn't know I had about the best monitors out there, I'd probably doubt them before I would doubt the gear.

I would suggest you doubt your gear less and go out and shoot up a storm with it, starting with the simple and easy and work your way up into the more tricky stuff. That hi-res 1.6 crop factor will do great things, but you need to multiply everything times two, including care and effort, to get the most out of it. Cheap "reach" is not cheap in many other ways than cost.

Also: Hair, feathers, fibers, grass, leaves, etc. can vibrate in movement, the wind, whatever, at very high speeds, so if you want to freeze them too, you can be looking at very high shutter speeds. Your doggie there, for example has very fine hair, so I wouldn't expect much detail in his coat with him dashing around like that.

Dec 04, 2014 at 03:26 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.