New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · GAS Hits!! - Fuji X-E1 vs. Sony A6000 vs Olympus OM-D

SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GAS Hits!! - Fuji X-E1 vs. Sony A6000 vs Olympus OM-D

For the last couple of years I have used the Olympus OM-D and really like the camera. The touch and tilt screen comes in handy. At the time I was looking a a smaller body to go along with my Nikon D7100 with good image quality. I shoot mainly landscapes, wildlife (with the D7100), and lots of concerts. I kind of came down with a case of GAS and made the mistake of spending too much time on this site when I was in a weakened state a few weeks ago and read some great comments on the Fuji X-E1 and Fuji colors in general. It just so happens a brand new in the box Fuji comes available on e-bay for $300 total. Out came the credit card for the camera and then I just received the 18-55 lens to go with it. Then since that did not cure me of GAS there were some very tempting deals on the Sony A6000 where I was able to get a like new one for $399. So now I am sitting with 3 smaller body cameras deciding what to do. I have an adapter for the Sony and would use some of my Nikon lenses with these cameras.

For those who have owned any of these cameras can you offer your thoughts on why you preferred one over the other or would it make sense to sell 1 or 2 or just keep all 3 and just go have fun with them. For what I paid I don't see where I could lose too much. I know there is some medication somewhere to help with GAS but I haven't found it yet.

Dec 02, 2014 at 08:07 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GAS Hits!! - Fuji X-E1 vs. Sony A6000 vs Olympus OM-D

$300 for a new X-E1? Wow, that is an amazing deal. I remember not too long ago getting ready to pull the trigger on an X-E1 for $999.

I paid more than $300 for my Fuji XF1!!

Even more for my Fuji F70EXR compact. I think that was $350.

Dec 02, 2014 at 08:36 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GAS Hits!! - Fuji X-E1 vs. Sony A6000 vs Olympus OM-D

I own all three. I prefer Fuji, but the a6000 is the better camera over the X-E1, simply because the X-E1 is still saddled with the older processor and lacks a lot of the features of the a6000, along with slower AF and less responsiveness. Now the X-E2 or X-T1 are much closer in capability (and in my opinion superior ergonomically and in operation, but that's personal preference rather than being 'better.') I also tend to like the files out of my Fuji cameras more...they take more punishment and provide richer color and tonal response, to my eye. However, it's not like the a6000 doesn't have some big advantages. It's got fantastic AF, really nice resolution (notably higher than the Fuji or OM-D), and it's nice and small with a nice EVF. The OM-D won't stand up to the other two in image quality, though it's a very complete camera...single shot AF is just as fast as the a6000, it has the touch screen and that amazing IBIS.

Only thing to do is shoot with all of them and see which one you gravitate towards. If I had to settle down with one system, it'd be my Fuji kit, and that gets the majority of my shooting, but I bring my Sony gear out plenty, and the OM-D gets use as well, though mostly for macro and longer lens work when I don't want to carry a lot.

Dec 02, 2014 at 09:29 PM
leo11877
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GAS Hits!! - Fuji X-E1 vs. Sony A6000 vs Olympus OM-D

Body wise A6000 kills it, Fuji however provides a better range of lenses to choose from and these lenses are relatively cheap for the image quality they provide. Plus the Out of box Fuji JPG colors are quite pleasing. The only problem with X-E1 is poor AF speed and accuracy. It maybe a deal killer to some. If you are not shooting in low light then it is less of a problem. I had the OM-D too and found the controls and menu system to cumbersome. Also I most of the fantastic primes in OM-D are on the long range 45/75 etc.

Sony A6000 Pros - Fast AF / High ISO Perf / Zeiss Lenses, Cons - Good lenses are expensive
Fuji X-E1 Pros - Great optics for cheap, Excellent JPG color output, clean images, Cons - Poor AF, Viewfinder perf.
OMD - Great selection of lenses, best for tele and super zooms or landscapes, Cons - Poor DOF unless you go longer with larger aperture, not so great buttons and ergonomics and menu system

Dec 02, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GAS Hits!! - Fuji X-E1 vs. Sony A6000 vs Olympus OM-D

Leica T..

..cause thats perfect cure.

Dec 03, 2014 at 06:51 AM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GAS Hits!! - Fuji X-E1 vs. Sony A6000 vs Olympus OM-D

rattymouse wrote:
$300 for a new X-E1? Wow, that is an amazing deal. I remember not too long ago getting ready to pull the trigger on an X-E1 for $999.

I paid more than $300 for my Fuji XF1!!

Even more for my Fuji F70EXR compact. I think that was $350.

Norman Camera was selling a few of them on ebay and I thought that $300 was pretty cheap since I have also paid that much for a little point and shoot.

Dec 03, 2014 at 12:09 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GAS Hits!! - Fuji X-E1 vs. Sony A6000 vs Olympus OM-D

Depends on how developed your glass in with the OM-D. Also do you still shoot with the Nikon and use his as a 2nd cam?

Of the three (having owned all of them at one point or another) I would take the OM-D first, the a6000 2nd, and the XE-1 last. But my needs may be different from yours. I need fast, accurate AF, don't need super fast low light performance, and couldnt get by the XE-1 subpar AF. If you shoot mostly static objects the Fuji is nice. Wouldn't trust it for anything moving really. Also some like the manual dials, but I prefer the control wheels that a more traditional DSLR like body gives

Dec 03, 2014 at 05:11 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GAS Hits!! - Fuji X-E1 vs. Sony A6000 vs Olympus OM-D

OK a week moment here are the house.
Considering the presence of a 7-14pro, 12-40pro, 40-150pro, 300pro; not to mention the Nockticron and all the other mFT lenses....2 OMD M1 mk II's ordered
Am I crazy? Already expected in Dec. EOS M5 (x's 2) and 1 x's a99ii I'll be eating beans when its all over!

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:28 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.