Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Dusk in Hardwood Hammock

Matt Tilghman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dusk in Hardwood Hammock

Dusk in Hardwood Hammock

South Florida landscapes have a unique charm. I've lived places with more dramatic landscapes, like California and New Mexico. Hiking through nature in those places is like visiting an art gallery, but hiking through South Florida's nature is more like playing a game of "hidden pictures." The beauty is in the details. Everywhere you look there's a treat to ponder. Take this slice of tropical hardwood hammock, a type of landscape traditionally nestled within Florida's diminishing pine rockland habitat. You can see a strangler fig starting its life as an epiphyte – a battle which will grow violent in years to come. You can see tiny saplings of mighty live oak, which may or may not find this soil suitable for large hardwoods (nitrogen fixation of the sandy soil is a job for pioneer trees, not oaks). And of course, there's the myriad of palm trees, all with slightly different shades and heights. These sabal palms are incredibly slow growing. It takes ten to fifteen years until the plant even has a discernible trunk! After that, growth rate is approximately six inches per year. So while these plants may look young and fresh, they've already been shaping this scene for decades upon decades!

Edited on Dec 05, 2014 at 09:35 PM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2014 at 08:03 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dusk in Hardwood Hammock

This Matt,

I like the composition very much and appreciate the explanation. Looks like a very rich environment.

Phil

Dec 03, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dusk in Hardwood Hammock

Thanks Phil!

And I think the previous version had a bad link and you may have had to work to see the photo, but it should be working now I hope.

Dec 05, 2014 at 09:18 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.