New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Monopod and head recommendations

TAM63
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monopod and head recommendations

So I'm thinking of shooting some dog show photos with a Nikon D810 and 70-200 f/2.8 VRII lens. The dogs will go in directions that I can predict, but I will want to pan. They also will at times come towards me.

I'm thinking a monopod might be good for this. I have a old Manfrotto tripod I love, so I was thinking this might be a good monopod choice - Manfrotto 680B Compact 4-Section Monopod, Black Anodized ?

I have a 804rc2 tripod head. Does it make any sense/is it even possible to just get a 2nd quick release plate for a 70-200 foot, and just use this? Seems kind of big...

Any recommendations for monopod heads, if that is the way I should go? Recommendations in general?

Thanks!

Dec 02, 2014 at 11:33 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monopod and head recommendations

In that situation just screwing it into the lens foot would work well enough. A head is not needed.

Dec 02, 2014 at 01:30 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monopod and head recommendations

I tried a pan and tilt head on a monopod. I gave up on the combo after a few minutes. A pistol-grip works far better. One hand stays on the cam and the other releases or locks the ball head in one easy movement.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/303591-REG/Manfrotto_322RC2_322RC2_Grip_Action_Ballhead.html

Dec 02, 2014 at 06:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monopod and head recommendations

I use an RRS MH-01 monopod head for many situations. Although as sjms mentioned, you probably don't need a head at all for what you escribed, unless you get some little weiner dogs in near your feet.

Dec 02, 2014 at 06:20 PM
Phil McNeil
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monopod and head recommendations

I like the Manfrotto 234RC.

Have used it for years for both sports and wildlife, it is nice to have the ability to tilt things a bit, and the quick release is a lot handier than screwing straight into the tripod foot.

I had some past incarnation of the Manfrotto 680B, same design different model number. They are super solid, easy to adjust, and heavy. For sideline of sports type stuff, like your dog show the weight is fine. I went to a mid range carbon fiber one because I carry it a lot out in the woods, but unless you think you will carry a bunch, the weight is no big deal.

Dec 02, 2014 at 06:34 PM
TAM63
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monopod and head recommendations

Thanks, a few things to look into. I really like the quick release, so I'm not sure I want to screw it right into the monopod.
Pistol grip looks good, more $$ of course.
I had looked at the 234RC, and will look again.
I don't know if I will take it hiking, I will have to think about that. Lighter weight certainly would be good for that.

Dec 04, 2014 at 09:26 AM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monopod and head recommendations

The kirk monopod head is excellent. As to those who say don't use a head-this will prevent proper use of the monopod, unless the subject is on a plane with the camera!

Dec 04, 2014 at 09:30 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monopod and head recommendations

there is no such thing as "proper use" of a monopod.

Dec 04, 2014 at 10:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monopod and head recommendations

As long as I don't trip over it, it's proper.

Dec 04, 2014 at 08:28 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monopod and head recommendations

Save yourself the ugly mono pod circles on the lens foot by getting a arca swiss plate to mount on it first..then screw in the mono pod.

Personally, I find that even shooting an event like you desire...that having a RRS MH-01 on the mono pod is essential. Trying to create the correct angle to shoot without one...makes for a frustrating day.

Oh...the Manfrotto 680B is one of the best (non carbon) mono pods out there...extremely durable and solid support!! I have 6 of them

Dec 05, 2014 at 11:55 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.