FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Reflections of Cathedral Rocks and Leaning Tower

Hikin Mike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reflections of Cathedral Rocks and Leaning Tower

Found a nice spot to shoot the reflections of Cathedral Rocks. a dry Bridalveil Falls, and the Leaning Tower from Gates of the Valley (Valley View) in Yosemite Valley.

5D, 17-40, ISO 100, f/11, 1/40 sec and 1/10 sec hand-blended

EDIT: I re-processed it...

Edited on Dec 02, 2014 at 07:43 PM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2014 at 03:30 AM
Tom Nevesely
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reflections of Cathedral Rocks and Leaning Tower

Like really like your composition here Mike! I also feel that a boost in contrast would give this image a bit more pop.

Dec 02, 2014 at 10:46 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reflections of Cathedral Rocks and Leaning Tower

Hey Mike,

A nice shot from Gates of the Valley. One thing I always do on my reflection shots is make sure that the nonreflected area is as rich looking as the reflection is. In the reflection you have great detail, but the peaks in the sky are blown out and missing detail. It looks like you exposed for the reflection instead of the nonreflected area which is common for camera's to do. Either a ND grad, or bracketing and blending is the key here.

Jim

Dec 02, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Hikin Mike
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reflections of Cathedral Rocks and Leaning Tower

JimFox wrote:
Hey Mike,

A nice shot from Gates of the Valley. One thing I always do on my reflection shots is make sure that the nonreflected area is as rich looking as the reflection is. In the reflection you have great detail, but the peaks in the sky are blown out and missing detail. It looks like you exposed for the reflection instead of the nonreflected area which is common for camera's to do. Either a ND grad, or bracketing and blending is the key here.

Jim

Thanks for the tips Jim. I used two separate images and blended them.

Dec 02, 2014 at 02:44 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reflections of Cathedral Rocks and Leaning Tower

Hey Mike,

Your edit looks better all except for the blown out spots. But the rest of the top, the midtones now are much richer and balance with the reflection better, so good work with that. Since you blended two shots. In your one for the top portion were the rock highlights blown? Anyway to recover them in your raw image?

Jim

Dec 05, 2014 at 02:33 PM
Hikin Mike
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reflections of Cathedral Rocks and Leaning Tower

There were no hot spots on the RAW file. I guess it looks like that due to the small file here.

Dec 05, 2014 at 10:41 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.