New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · My 7DII is here!! First test shots with kit

ashley138
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · My 7DII is here!! First test shots with kit

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Can you point me in the direction to figure out how to tell if its front or back focusing? I tried a moire MA test last night and I had trouble seeing differences in each shot with different levels of MA.
I took the 7D II out today with my 100-400 and something seems off. I'm expecting better AF and sharper focus than with my 7D (I shoot the 7D + 100-400 all the time so I have a good feel for what to expect) and I'm not seeing it!! Suggestions? Which MA test should I use?

Dec 03, 2014 at 06:39 PM
riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · My 7DII is here!! First test shots with kit

Here is a link from a long time ago:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187247/0

Happy shooting

Dec 03, 2014 at 06:56 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · My 7DII is here!! First test shots with kit

This is Canon's suggested technique

Mount the camera on a good tripod.
Set up a target for the camera to focus on. The reference target should have sufficient contrast for the AF system to detect. It should be flat and parallel to the camera's focal plane, and centred.
Lighting should be bright / even.
Camera-to-subject distance should be no less than 50 times the focal length of the lens. For a 50mm lens, that would be at least 2.5 meters.
Set the lens for AF and the camera for One-Shot AF, and manually select the centre focusing point.
Shoot at the maximum aperture of the lens via manual mode or aperture-priority. Adjust exposure level to get an accurate exposure. Use low ISO setting.
If the lens has an image stabilizer, turn it off.
Use a remote switch or the camera's self-timer to fire the shutter. Use mirror lock up as well.
Take three sets of images at microadjustment settings of -5, 0 and +5, i.e, three consecutive images at -5, three consecutive images at 0, and three consecutive images at +5.
Look at the images on your screen at 100% magnification.
Take additional sets of test images at different microadjustment settings if necessary until the sharpest image is achieved.
Register the corresponding microadjustment settings in the camera.

Dec 03, 2014 at 07:14 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · My 7DII is here!! First test shots with kit

… An analogy …

Take delivery of your brand new car … now get out your laptop and remap the ignition and fuel mapping because the factory didn’t get it quite right … and be happy about the fact you can find directions on how to go about it and have the necessary laptop …

Dec 03, 2014 at 07:25 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · My 7DII is here!! First test shots with kit

So, What about the distance issue? I'm trying to MA my 100-400 on 7D II and I shoot this lens @ 400 most of the time so if I want to MA it at 400 I'm supposed to be 20m away according to the formula. I do not have anywhere inside that comes close to this distance and I essentially live at the foot of snow covered mountains so there's no where flat outside. Any suggestions??

So far I got a +2 MA value from one test and -3 MA value from another

Dec 03, 2014 at 08:35 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · My 7DII is here!! First test shots with kit

You don't need a flat area. Just put up 3 cans or boxes on a 45 degree angle to your camera. Place them a few inches apart. Place the one on the left at 20 meters minus 6 inches from your camera, the centre one at 20 meters, and the right one at 29 meters plus 6 inches.

Take your shot making sure focus gets locked on centre subject. View shot on computer. If centre subject is sharp and two other subjects are equally less sharp, you do not need to MA that lens at that focal-length.

Dec 03, 2014 at 08:58 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · My 7DII is here!! First test shots with kit

Jefferson wrote:
… An analogy …

Take delivery of your brand new car … now get out your laptop and remap the ignition and fuel mapping because the factory didn’t get it quite right … and be happy about the fact you can find directions on how to go about it and have the necessary laptop …

You'd be surprised how many people think there is nothing wrong with that.

Dec 05, 2014 at 02:04 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · My 7DII is here!! First test shots with kit

ashley138 wrote:
So, What about the distance issue? I'm trying to MA my 100-400 on 7D II and I shoot this lens @ 400 most of the time so if I want to MA it at 400 I'm supposed to be 20m away according to the formula. I do not have anywhere inside that comes close to this distance and I essentially live at the foot of snow covered mountains so there's no where flat outside. Any suggestions??

Since some people are reporting front focusing don't worry so much about fine tuning. Just set the MFA to +10 and out and shoot some real world stuff. Next session try +5 and just see what your are getting for now and let us know.

Shoot all types of distances.

Dec 05, 2014 at 02:09 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · My 7DII is here!! First test shots with kit

Jefferson wrote:
… An analogy …

C'mon Jefferson, ya gotta slam it first, Stance bro, ya know?

OEM rims are always a POS, no bling, and 20s at a minimum, an' W I D E!

And the pipes next, who wants to drive a vacuum cleaner, gotta hear it comin, no?

Cheezuz Jefferson, I can't even.

Dec 05, 2014 at 02:39 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · My 7DII is here!! First test shots with kit

ashley138 wrote:

just point it at a sidewalk seam/crack or something like or get someone to stand 20m away and aim at their lower legs and then get the DOF to center around their feet as desired, etc.

Dec 05, 2014 at 02:55 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · My 7DII is here!! First test shots with kit

ahender wrote:
What does it cost to calibrate a single lens? Thanks.

more than you'd think (unless within warranty and then it is free), plus they often don't even get it right and if you get a new body you may need to get it done again. Personally I think MFA is much better than sending it in, getting the lens bounced around, etc. Only if you have a zoom that is not consistent across the range (and don't have a dual MFA body) or one where it changes badly for different focusing zones would I bother sending it in or exchanging it

Dec 05, 2014 at 02:59 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · My 7DII is here!! First test shots with kit

Calibrating one lens is over $250. This is why I always do this during the warranty period. I have only had to do this once on warranty with all the Canon lenses I have owned. However all that I have owned needed almost no MFA.

Dec 05, 2014 at 09:35 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.