New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · MMG

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MMG

Not a portrait guy and I am pretty happy with this shot of my grandson.
But I am posting here for more critical feedback.
Thanks.
Scott

EXIF variably showing.
Canon 5D MK !1, 50 1.4 @ 1.4, 1/45s, ISO 1600

GoetzPhotoz 2014

Dec 01, 2014 at 08:00 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MMG

I remember why I don't post here.
First, I have little I can offer others.
Second, 200+ views and no one offers any input?! I am sure there are more experienced photographers than me.

Scott

Dec 01, 2014 at 05:24 PM
Therese Lombar

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MMG

Well for what it's worth I absolutely love this. I love everything about it so you will only get praise from me. Well done!

Dec 04, 2014 at 07:01 PM
Therese Lombar

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MMG

What an amazing little face

Dec 04, 2014 at 07:02 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MMG

Therese Lombar wrote:
Well for what it's worth I absolutely love this. I love everything about it so you will only get praise from me. Well done!

Therese,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I am very pleased that the image works so well for you.
Scott

Dec 05, 2014 at 05:46 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MMG

Lovely portrait Scott.

I hardly ever do people but the only thing I'd like is to have both eyes in focus not just the (camera) right apologies if it's my monitor making it look oof.

Dec 07, 2014 at 01:24 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · MMG

Thanks Ed
I think the shallow DOF got me here. Slightly OOF right eye is correct.
Scott

Dec 08, 2014 at 09:14 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · MMG

Nice portrait Scott.
I like the shallow DOF but agree that right eye being as much in focus as the left would make this a better photo. I might also like a little more room on the bottom. Or even a little more room all the way around. (Depending on how big you want to print this.)
I like how this is all about big eyes on a sweet face. Well done.
Greg

Dec 09, 2014 at 12:40 PM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · MMG

IMHO, the image is cropped too tight. As Greg said, I would like to see more room all the way around.

I personally think the DOF is just too shallow. The sides of his cheeks and chin aren't even in focus due to the shallow DOF. Fine if you were going for a shot that just emphasized the eyes, but as others have pointed out already, even one of the eyes is out of focus.

The skin on his face looks a little too hot to me. You might want to play with the contrast or brightness of the image to bring that down a bit.

Not sure I'm okay with the asymmetry of the hood. I definitely don't like the top being cut-off.

Very nice image, but I would try multiple apertures next time to make sure your DOF is adequate.

TFS!

Dec 10, 2014 at 02:34 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · MMG

gregfixit wrote:
Nice portrait Scott.
I like the shallow DOF but agree that right eye being as much in focus as the left would make this a better photo. I might also like a little more room on the bottom. Or even a little more room all the way around. (Depending on how big you want to print this.)
I like how this is all about big eyes on a sweet face. Well done.
Greg

Greg, thanks for looking and commenting. I agree with your suffers tons
Printed at 8x10 for the boy's great grandfather. And one for us at home as well

Scott

Dec 13, 2014 at 09:34 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · MMG

film_4ever wrote:
IMHO, the image is cropped too tight. As Greg said, I would like to see more room all the way around.

I personally think the DOF is just too shallow. The sides of his cheeks and chin aren't even in focus due to the shallow DOF. Fine if you were going for a shot that just emphasized the eyes, but as others have pointed out already, even one of the eyes is out of focus.

The skin on his face looks a little too hot to me. You might want to play with the contrast or brightness of the image
...Show more
I really appreciate the level of thoughtful analysis. My internal criticism and unspoken questions were around whether the face is too hot and whether the disparity in focus of the eyes, related to such shallow dof, was problematic. Impressionistically I and my family are all more than pleased, but I agree the image could have been better.
Thx!

Scott

Dec 13, 2014 at 09:37 PM
bcguy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · MMG

I'd bet mom really loves this one. Great job! What an adorable child!

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:56 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.