Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

The distance from the subject doesn't affect the distortion, it only makes the object take up more area of the frame and thus make it look like it affects distortion (which it doesn't, it only gets stretched over more of the frame if it's a bigger object). To my knowledge.

Dec 01, 2014 at 09:49 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

form wrote:
The distance from the subject doesn't affect the distortion, it only makes the object take up more area of the frame and thus make it look like it affects distortion (which it doesn't, it only gets stretched over more of the frame if it's a bigger object). To my knowledge.

Uh, subject distance is pretty much 90% of perspective distortion, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Dec 01, 2014 at 09:52 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

okafoja wrote:
Well after reading the article ytwong posted I think I got it now. All this time I thought placing my object right in the middle instead of the corners will be OK. I went out of my way trying to put my objects in the middle of the frame and not considering the distance. I feel like a dumb a$$ now.

So my understanding from reading the article is that perspective distortion will occur based on the distance from you and the object and not necessarily where you placed your object. The closer you are to the object the worst it
...Show more

perspective distortion will occur based on the distance from you and the object

Not entirely....look at the soft-drink machine at the rear left corner.
...it's tilted towards the corner in part because the camera is tilted DOWNWARDS....had you lowered your camera so the viewfinder frame sides are parallel to the room corner it would have reduced the distortion at the rear...but...had you done that, THE FOREGROUND would have been tilted towards the center increasing the distortion of the two subjects.

It's a compromise....28mm is about the widest you can go with that compromise to minimize the distortion.

Dec 01, 2014 at 09:53 AM
form
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

An object will stretch more the closer it is to the edges no matter how far away it is from the lens.

The effect is less obvious when an object takes up less of the frame.

If you take a photo of a toothpick in dead center of the frame and 5 inches from the lens, it won't look fatter than it should. If, OTOH, you take a photo of a toothpick at the edge of the frame 5 feet away, it will look abnormally fat.

There are lots of images that you simply shouldn't take with a wide lens because the subjects will look very odd.

Dec 01, 2014 at 10:07 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

sjms wrote:
Its called viewpoint from DXO. You need to shoot with crop room to use it.

quick keystone correction. it does a lot more then this. depending on the shot and the user it can be a very useful tool.

I downloaded the DXO plugin but it did not make much difference. I think I still need to learn how to use it. I really would love to keep the lens if I could correct the perspective distortion a little.

Not sure what you mean by shooting in crop room to use.

Dec 01, 2014 at 10:27 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

form wrote:
An object will stretch more the closer it is to the edges no matter how far away it is from the lens.

The effect is less obvious when an object takes up less of the frame.

If you take a photo of a toothpick in dead center of the frame and 5 inches from the lens, it won't look fatter than it should. If, OTOH, you take a photo of a toothpick at the edge of the frame 5 feet away, it will look abnormally fat.

There are lots of images that you simply shouldn't take with a wide lens because the subjects
...Show more

Hi Form, since you shoot wedding will you ever use 20mm for wedding? I'm talking about shooting people with it. I am considering keeping it and learn how to use it or get 28mm.

Dec 01, 2014 at 10:41 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

What you are experiencing is perspective distortion, as many people have noted. This occurs due to camera position and a wide field of view. Simply put, you're way too close to the subject and that stretches the perspective.

The 16-35 at 20mm would render nearly identically.

The shot in question would be better shot at 28-35mm with the shooter taking a few steps back.

For wedding work, the 20 is a group shot lens. Use a 28-35 for intimate shots like this one.

Dec 01, 2014 at 11:08 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

mawz wrote:
For wedding work, the 20 is a group shot lens. Use a 28-35 for intimate shots like this one.

This is so correct. I'm so confused now. To keep 20mm or not to keep. I have 35mm and 16-35 already.

Dec 01, 2014 at 11:33 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

Tell people all the lenses you own. Maybe they can give you good advice.

Dec 01, 2014 at 11:52 AM
form
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

I use 14 or 16-35 for some shots, but if I'm doing a big group with 16-35 I will always avoid putting anyone near the edges of the frame. I won't put people near the edges of the frame on anything wider than 35mm because of distortion.

I use 14 or 16-35 for environments, places where the distorted leading lines will draw the eye toward the subject (usually in/near the center), dress shots to accentuate the train, etc.

Dec 01, 2014 at 01:26 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

ckcarr wrote:
Tell people all the lenses you own. Maybe they can give you good advice.

16-35/f4, Nikon 60mm micro, Sigma 35/f.4, Sigma 50/f1.4, Sigma 85/f1.4, Sigma fisheye, Sigma 24-105 and Nikon 70-200VRII. I shoot people and weddings mainly.

My 16-35 is only f/4 which is slow and I consider it 25-35mm because it distorts like crazy. So I was looking for wide fast lens and 20mm was the closest that I can afford.

I shoot with two cameras and my 35mm stays in one 100%.

Dec 01, 2014 at 01:46 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

If you want to flatter people with the 20 1.8G, shoot in a portrait-style orientation. It will make them skinnier.

Dec 01, 2014 at 03:01 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

DontShoot wrote:
If you want to flatter people with the 20 1.8G, shoot in a portrait-style orientation. It will make them skinnier.

I went back a looked at ones taken in portrait you are correct they all seems to be OK but that defeats the purpose for me. Now that I know what to expect maybe I can work around it.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/okafoja/DSC_4557-2a_zps933572b5.jpg

Dec 01, 2014 at 03:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.