Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

okafoja
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

I thought this lens will replace my 16-35f/4 but I was so disappointed with the amount of distortion. I really wanted to like this lens but it is not going to work for the way I planned on using it. Nikon 16-35 is also very bad. I maybe asking for a lot. I am now thinking about getting Sigma 18-35 and use it between 24-35mm range. Not sure if that's a good idea.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8615/15733111479_9bb51b986a_m.jpg

Not sure why the image is so small coming from flickr. Photobucket is better.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/okafoja/DSC_4510-web_zps1278208d.jpg

Nov 30, 2014 at 09:45 PM
klb1122
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

You probably have way more experience than me, but don't all lenses in that focal range have some sort of distortion when you aren't right in the middle of the frame? I would think it would be quite a bit to ask of a 20mm to not have distortion.

Looks like a nice image to me.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:01 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

Uhm.

Any wide angle lens creates PERSPECTIVE distortion, which stretches objects towards the edges of the frame. You can't avoid that. No wide lens does NOT do that. It's not a flaw. It's not corrected by anyone or anything because it's not a defect, it's how wide angle lenses handle things.

Other distortion (barrel, pincushion, etc.) is visible by how straight lines bend in the image, e.g. the ceiling edges, other linear objects producing horizontal or vertical lines in an image will show that kind of distortion. This is corrected pretty much automatically in many modern editing apps.

If you don't like perspective distortion, use longer lenses.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:10 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

You aint seen nothin' yet. Go view some Google streetview. No, Nikon failed no folks here.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:18 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

Perspective distortion is not the same as distortion. All wide angle would show this kind of perspective distortion. Maybe you could take a look at here.

I have a DXO plugin that can somehow correct perspective distortion, it actually works, by introducing some barrel distortion and changing the aspect ratio of the image (image is narrower after correction).

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

What most folks said ^. Perspective distortion is not the same as distortion. In cases like these, The BEST image you can achieve (in my opinion) is with the 28G if you STILL want a wide image.
I think a 24G is already pushing it and 35mm is, well, meh...

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

Perspective distortion is not distortion. It is the correct mapping of the scene to a flat image as seen from one point.
Distortion is the geometric property of rendering image points in the wrong place: either farther from the center than they should be ("pincushion" or positive distortion) or closer to the image center than they should be("barrel' or negative distortion).

You have learned why extreme wide angles aren't commonly used for flattering portraits.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:09 PM
alaskandood
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

Looks like a really nice image to me.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

I hear you guys and I knew this going in but I didn't think it will be this bad. Most reviews said it is a lot better than 16-35mm but I don't think so.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Gottabepurple

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

For the lens you used, I think this is a very nice shot. But I'm not an expert by any means.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:57 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

Well after reading the article ytwong posted I think I got it now. All this time I thought placing my object right in the middle instead of the corners will be OK. I went out of my way trying to put my objects in the middle of the frame and not considering the distance. I feel like a dumb a$$ now.

So my understanding from reading the article is that perspective distortion will occur based on the distance from you and the object and not necessarily where you placed your object. The closer you are to the object the worst it gets. Please someone correct me if am wrong.

Knowing what I know now I don't think that 20mm will ever work for me. I will exchange it with 28mm but it maybe a waste of money since I own 35mm already.

Dec 01, 2014 at 12:25 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

okafoja wrote:
I thought this lens will replace my 16-35f/4 but I was so disappointed with the amount of distortion. I really wanted to like this lens but it is not going to work for the way I planned on using it. Nikon 16-35 is also very bad. I maybe asking for a lot. I am now thinking about getting Sigma 18-35 and use it between 24-35mm range. Not sure if that's a good idea.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8615/15733111479_9bb51b986a_m.jpg

Not sure why the image is so small coming from flickr. Photobucket is better.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/okafoja/DSC_4510-web_zps1278208d.jpg

I have no idea what you are objecting to - it looks like the perspective distortion you get when you use an ultra-wide angle up close to your subjects. Sure it has some geometric distortion (fixable in post for the most part), but a wide focal length will give you this look if it's a prime or a zoom.

Dec 01, 2014 at 12:26 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

alaskandood wrote:
Looks like a really nice image to me.

Besides the distortion I like the lens a lot. It focuses fast and sharp.

Dec 01, 2014 at 12:28 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

Distortion is why my widest lens for people has always been 35mm over the years. 35 is very manageable. 24mm, as I got used to it, can work for me. 20mm always has surprises that may or may not be acceptable.

Dec 01, 2014 at 01:35 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

You wanna see some funky perspective distortion...try the 14-24 at 14mm with people....

Dec 01, 2014 at 02:29 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

ytwong wrote:
Perspective distortion is not the same as distortion. All wide angle would show this kind of perspective distortion. Maybe you could take a look at here.

I have a DXO plugin that can somehow correct perspective distortion, it actually works, by introducing some barrel distortion and changing the aspect ratio of the image (image is narrower after correction).

Its called viewpoint from DXO. You need to shoot with crop room to use it.

quick keystone correction. it does a lot more then this. depending on the shot and the user it can be a very useful tool.

before

after

Dec 01, 2014 at 06:22 AM
incrediblehark
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

lxdesign wrote:
You wanna see some funky perspective distortion...try the 14-24 at 14mm with people....

You're right.....

It took me a while to get used to my 14-24. Anything too close to the lens stretches out towards the corners, it can get kind of funky in the wide end.

The OP will do well with the 28g, for some reason all of the 28mm lenses I've used have been good in this respect.

Cheers

Dec 01, 2014 at 07:06 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

okafoja wrote:
Well after reading the article ytwong posted I think I got it now. All this time I thought placing my object right in the middle instead of the corners will be OK. I went out of my way trying to put my objects in the middle of the frame and not considering the distance. I feel like a dumb a$$ now.

So my understanding from reading the article is that perspective distortion will occur based on the distance from you and the object and not necessarily where you placed your object. The closer you are to the object the worst it
...Show more

28mm is pretty different from 35mm. It gives you just enough perspective distortion to feel wide, but not enough to give you the problem you're having. 35mm is just a wide 50mm.

I own 28 and 35 for that reason.

Dec 01, 2014 at 07:09 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

love mine, works as designed/advertised and I replaced my 16-35 F4 with it and am happy as a clam at high tide

Dec 01, 2014 at 07:24 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Returning my 20mm f/1.8g due to very bad distortion.

Gottabepurple wrote:
For the lens you used, I think this is a very nice shot. But I'm not an expert by any means.

It is a very nice photo.

Dec 01, 2014 at 09:06 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.