Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

So a while back I had a bag mishap and had some lenses dropped/damaged: namely a 50 1.4 and 24-70L.

For both of them, a lens element got shifted or tilted so now half of the image isn't quite in focus at any given time. With the 24-70, it's nearly impossible to get anything in focus on the top right corner, and the 50 1.4 has a weird haze on the right side constantly.

Needless to say, I sent them both in WITH sample images on a disc of the problem. I'm a CPS Platinum member.

They came back clean but with the exact same issues, hardly any difference at all.

Should I send it in again, or sell them both at a loss 'as is'? (EDIT: Yes, of course I would disclose all information about the lenses' issues, mostly just selling for parts which I've seen occasionally)

I should clarify, they're both usable, but not nearly up to par with what they should be IMO.

Edited on Nov 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM · View previous versions

Nov 30, 2014 at 07:53 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

The gray area is with what you mean by "should be". If it were me and the lenses were noticeably not as they were before the damage, it's not even a question, they'd be going back. Do you have before/after(drop)/after(repair) samples?

Nov 30, 2014 at 08:08 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

I think sending them in again would be in order. Hard to sell something that's got identified issues, that means the buyer then bears the burden of getting "new to them" lenses working correctly.

Jo

Nov 30, 2014 at 08:13 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

You paid for the repair and they didn't fix it. Isn't the repair under warranty for 90 days? Besides, you'd have to take a big hit if you sell "as is" with focus issues.

Nov 30, 2014 at 08:17 PM
austin.grant
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

thebeginning wrote:
They came back clean but with the exact same issues, hardly any difference at all.

And when this happened, did you contact Canon and tell them the "repair" wasn't properly completed? Surely there's some warranty on the repair work itself?

Nov 30, 2014 at 08:19 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

I've had to send gear in a couple of times to get the repair done right. It happens..it's unfortunate & rare, but they eventually got it right.

Nov 30, 2014 at 08:30 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

Did you pay for a repair or was this just a clean and check?

Nov 30, 2014 at 08:31 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

If I paid for a repairs and there were still issues, I would call to bring it to their attention and send them back. I would probably print an image that illustrates the lenses sharpness.

Nov 30, 2014 at 08:47 PM
Phil McNeil
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

Back they go!

Nov 30, 2014 at 08:56 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

At least you are not subscribed to FM's B&S service so I know I will not be buying a bad lens from you

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:05 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

thebeginning wrote:
So a while back I had a bag mishap and had some lenses dropped/damaged: namely a 50 1.4 and 24-70L.

For both of them, a lens element got shifted or tilted so now half of the image isn't quite in focus at any given time. With the 24-70, it's nearly impossible to get anything in focus on the top right corner, and the 50 1.4 has a weird haze on the right side constantly.

Needless to say, I sent them both in WITH sample images on a disc of the problem. I'm a CPS Platinum member.

They came back clean but with
...Show more

It isn't all that unusual to have to send an item back for a second adjustment. (I'm not saying that it happens often, but it does happen.)

I'd surely send it back if you have CPS. Let them know that the problem wasn't fixed, and see what they say.

If the lenses cannot be fixed (and I'm perhaps saying this for others as much as for you) I hope that when and if you sell the lenses you will completely disclose that they have suffered damage that you feel makes them unusable. I'm sure you'd want the same from a seller if you were the buyer.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:49 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

No need to worry everyone, I definitely would disclose everything about the lens histories before selling!

I've seen a few lenses and such sold for parts or as is (for folks that can/want to deal with that). It's pennies compared to original prices, usually.

I'm going to send them back again, I think - just don't feel like taking a bunch of sample images again for them to be ignored.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

austin.grant wrote:
And when this happened, did you contact Canon and tell them the "repair" wasn't properly completed? Surely there's some warranty on the repair work itself?

Why would warranty cover "damaged" lenses?

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

thebeginning wrote:
No need to worry everyone, I definitely would disclose everything about the lens histories before selling!

I've seen a few lenses and such sold for parts or as is (for folks that can/want to deal with that). It's pennies compared to original prices, usually.

I'm going to send them back again, I think - just don't feel like taking a bunch of sample images again for them to be ignored.

I am assuming you paid to get them fixed and not solely a clean and check...
Heres what I would do:

Call Canon prior to sending in and discuss situation, get reps name and direct telephone line and Ask the rep to personally call me once the shipment arrives and items been inspected and determined whats needed.

I have had great success with Canon reps and I don't point fingers or blame. I feel if you do, they won't be willing to help as much.

Best of luck and keep us posted if you send back in and to which facility.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

thebeginning wrote:

They came back clean but with
...Show more

I recently had an experience with the Canon Service Centre in Costa Mesa that may have some relevance to your case.

I had sent in 2 lenses for complete servicing with instructions to check the internal mechanism and restore everything to factory specs. I am a CPS Gold member. The lenses came back without repairs, and one of them had a lens cap missing. No paperwork of the work done accompanied the return. I called Canon immediately. Turned out that someone had screwed up badly and mistakenly returned the lenses. I sent the lenses back - Canon paid all shipping charges, serviced the lenses, and as a goodwill gesture refunded all the charges.

You may want to call and ask what repairs, if any, were carried out.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:34 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

thebeginning wrote:

:-)

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

Imagemaster wrote:
Why would warranty cover "damaged" lenses?

Canon CPS gives a warranty on their repairs.

Dec 01, 2014 at 11:53 AM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

Send it back ... but make sure to explain the situation to a rep on the phone and see if you can get it sent to a different service center.

My experience:

I had a new TS-E 24 II that had distinct purple fringing out of the box (i.e., manufacturing defect).

Took a whole bunch of real-world as well as test chart images documenting the problem, explicitly stated conditions under which it occurred (including usage of hood and no shift/movements) and sent them in along the lens.

Weeks later, got the lens back with a note saying that nothing was wrong with the lens and I should use the hood to avoid purple fringing (). I was very, very, very irate. But figured might as well (politely) try to get it repaired again. Called Canon service, and, by chance, got a really nice rep on the phone. He apologized, and said that he would set up re-repair and suggested that I use another service center to avoid getting the same technician. He arranged to cover the shipping both ways as well as the repair. A couple of weeks later, the lens was back with a note indicating that some parts were broken and had to be replaced.

But you know what actually made my day? Apart from being very helpful and professional, it turned out that the phone rep I was talking to happened to be a nature/wildlife photographer as well! We ended up chatting for over an hour, long after the re-repair was arranged. He gave my lots of great suggestions on places and parks to visit around my area (I had just moved here), and especially with regards to shooting bears, as he was experienced in photographing them in Alaska and around Ely, MN. Really appreciated not only his help with the service, but him taking the time to chat about a shared passion! I really enjoyed that service call, more than any other service call I have ever made!

Dec 01, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Issue with Canon Repairs...Repair Twice or Sell?

just don't feel like taking a bunch of sample images again for them to be ignored....
--------------------------------
Don't submit images, Canon techs are not paid $30+ an hour to look at pictures.

Dec 02, 2014 at 07:38 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.