New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

Daniel Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

Am currently shooting Sandisk Extreme cards and am wondering if anything else out there is supposed to work in sub-zero(f) temperatures as well as higher temps over 110 degrees?

North Dakota winters can be hard on gear and tho it has not happened to me I have two friends who have had Compact Flash cards quit on them while we were out shooting together. Temp was right at 24 below zero(farenheit). They borrowed one of my cards so could keep shooting. Once theirs warmed up later they were OK.

Anyone know of tests on card performance related to temperature? Speed isn't so much a big deal as making sure the cards still perform in and out of ice fishing houses, warm vehicle to 20-40 below outside temps and then later in Death Valley in the summer.

Nov 30, 2014 at 04:19 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_temperature.

Chips are normally specified for operation over one of these temperature ranges. Commercial grade chips are only specified down to 0 C, military and automotive much lower.

However- the CAMERA is only specified over a limited temperature range- for the D7000, for example, only down to 0 C. (This doesn't mean it won't work lower than that; just that it's not guaranteed by the manufacturer).

AND most of the time the camera and the chips inside do not actually reach the ambient temperature.

Nov 30, 2014 at 05:49 PM
jamesdak
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

, I've yet to get a CF card to fail no matter what the extremes. Not even a cycle through the washer and dryer which has happened more than once.

Nov 30, 2014 at 09:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

And if you were with your friends, why did your card work?

Keep a few spare cards in pockets next to your body. Do the same with spare batteries. Also keep camera under your parka when possible. Do all these and you will be good at minus 40.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

His, most likely, came from a nice well warmed place.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

sjms wrote:
His, most likely, came from a nice well warmed place.

So if they were
.....while we were out shooting together.

then his friends should have done the same thing.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:26 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

Yup

SanDisk Extreme Pro:

Durable Card Operates in Extreme Conditions
The SanDisk Extreme PRO CompactFlash Memory Card can operate in temperatures ranging from -13ºF (-25ºC) to 185ºF (85ºC), so you can record rich Full HD video or snap the perfect shot in almost any climate. These cards are tested with rigorous stress, shock, and vibration procedures and feature RTV silicone coating for added protection against shock and vibration.

ref: http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/compactflash/extremepro-160mbs/?capacity=32GB

Dec 01, 2014 at 06:14 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

I've used SanDisk and Transcend CF and SD cards in ambient temps from 110 F to about -30 F. Never a problem with the cards.

Dec 01, 2014 at 09:36 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

jamesdak wrote:
, I've yet to get a CF card to fail no matter what the extremes. Not even a cycle through the washer and dryer which has happened more than once.

What brand were they?

Dec 01, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

Daniel Smith wrote:
Am currently shooting Sandisk Extreme cards and am wondering if anything else out there is supposed to work in sub-zero(f) temperatures as well as higher temps over 110 degrees?

North Dakota winters can be hard on gear and tho it has not happened to me I have two friends who have had Compact Flash cards quit on them while we were out shooting together. Temp was right at 24 below zero(farenheit). They borrowed one of my cards so could keep shooting. Once theirs warmed up later they were OK.

Anyone know of tests on card performance related to temperature? Speed isn't
...Show more

Don't use the same cards your friends used. What were they using?

Dec 01, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

Methodical wrote:
What brand were they?

Probably Maytag.

Dec 01, 2014 at 11:43 AM
powaysteve

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

I've used Lexar and Transcend CF cards in temperatures down to -33F and as high as 110F and have never had a failure.

Dec 01, 2014 at 12:42 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

If it's -35F the ONLY thing going outside is garbage. I will be inside hugging the furnace.

Dec 01, 2014 at 01:15 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

I've not had any trouble with Sandisk cards in temps down to -32, which I encountered one night at Devil's Lake. My D800E takes both CF and SD cards, which might double my chances of being OK.

Kent in SD

Dec 01, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Compact Flash card for cold weather/hot weather

Kent, was as Devils Lake yesterday and will be again over the next few days. Night images with temps projected to be colder than 20 below and ice more than 25 inches thick. Just right for night shots on a tripod if the wind doesn't go nuts on us.

Have settled with SanDisk Extreme series now and am having good luck so far.

Dec 28, 2014 at 09:41 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.