Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Shooting Multiple Camera's & transfer images wirless

PhotoOps

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting Multiple Camera's & transfer images wirless

Hi All,

1st post here.
I run a team of photographers in the UK covering a varity of Sports events.

At the moment we use a runner to go between the photographers and the print-on-site computer.

What i'm looking for is a solution for each photographer's camera to transfer the images wirelessly to our print-on-site PC, and each photog would have there own seperate folder on the PC.

ie
Photog 1 - folder 1
photog 2 - folder 2
etc

Have any of you used a system like this that would work?
We have used Eye-fi before but we found the cards were not fast enough and kept on dropping out of network.

Our photographers shoot both Canon and Nikkon.

Any advise would be appreciated,

Cheers
Mark

Nov 30, 2014 at 08:05 AM
iamcdn
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting Multiple Camera's & transfer images wirless

try camranger (www.camranger.com)

They are not as cheap as eyefi card, but waaayyy more reliable.

Dec 01, 2014 at 01:49 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting Multiple Camera's & transfer images wirless

What is your range from shooters to print pc?
I cover an event with >24 photographers spread out in 7 halls nearly half mile apart.
We use local card readers hooked up to laptops, then shoot everything wirelessly back to central server using ubiquiti NS5 radios in bridge mode.
Last year, about 300,000 photos per day went through at least one, if not two, wireless hops to get to my server.
The radios are cheap, have great range, go thru walls and faster than 100mbit write with line of site.
But you'll still need some infrastructure to get images off cards and into the wireless realm (laptop downloader)

Dec 02, 2014 at 02:36 AM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting Multiple Camera's & transfer images wirless

Hack a TP-LINK TL-MR3040 N150 Portable Battery-Powered 3G/4G Wireless Router.
Range is the question as posed above. How many and how far are they away. You could most likely change the antenna of the Router to get more distance. When you see the device it will look very familiar as it is exactly what a popular company uses.
I have 2 and they cost $34 each. I can control my cameras with a cellphone, tablet, and I imagine you could tether to a computer somehow.
Just google up the above device and you'll find it. Maybe it could fit your needs, maybe not, but thought I'd mention it none the less.

Hammy, is there a video or something on the internet that explains your ubiquitii infrastructure and setup instructions. I'm confused as to why you need/use card readers if you shoot to a server wirelessly. I'm not understanding I guess. Are you saying that you have to download the cards to the laptops and the pictures then go from the laptops wirelessly to the server? Thanks

Dec 02, 2014 at 10:09 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shooting Multiple Camera's & transfer images wirless

Been awhile since I have posted this little sound byte. A fresh coat of paint is in order I think...

http://www.playballphotos.com/downloads/OZ.wav

Hammy wrote:
What is your range from shooters to print pc?
I cover an event with >24 photographers spread out in 7 halls nearly half mile apart.
We use local card readers hooked up to laptops, then shoot everything wirelessly back to central server using ubiquiti NS5 radios in bridge mode.
Last year, about 300,000 photos per day went through at least one, if not two, wireless hops to get to my server.
The radios are cheap, have great range, go thru walls and faster than 100mbit write with line of site.
But you'll still need some infrastructure to get images off cards and into
...Show more

Dec 02, 2014 at 08:29 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shooting Multiple Camera's & transfer images wirless

mikepmcs wrote:
Hammy, is there a video or something on the internet that explains your ubiquitii infrastructure and setup instructions. I'm confused as to why you need/use card readers if you shoot to a server wirelessly. I'm not understanding I guess. Are you saying that you have to download the cards to the laptops and the pictures then go from the laptops wirelessly to the server? Thanks

Mike, we're not shooting directly out of the camera with wireless.
We have card readers next to each photographer (3-4 per stage) that are USB3 to a laptop next to the stage.
After shooting a routine, chimping and swapping cards to reader, said laptop downloads all card images into a folder named after the team that just competed (then formats the card).
But this us all local to the stage, whereas server and viewstation kiosks may be 1/4 mile away. The server processes images down to a manageable resolution for the kiosks, rotates and watermarks the images automatically for delivery to the 100+ viewstations we have.
We ran 4000ft of Cat5 the first year, then discovered the ubiquiti units that effectively replace the wire.
It's called "bridge mode" that lets me plus in a cat5 out of the laptop at the stage into the radio, and another cat5 at the other radio at the server - the wireless connection completes the loop as if it were wire all the way.
The radios have some configuration depending on range, obstacles, frequency and bandwidth as their capable of a couple dozen kilometers with line of site, I usually power then way down unless going through walls and such.
Hope this helps.

Dec 06, 2014 at 01:17 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shooting Multiple Camera's & transfer images wirless

Hammy,
Ironically, was recently looking into more efficient briding for a home project and came across the Ubiquiti line. I had a question for you about your multi hop configuration.

Your description of the point to point bridge makes sense and provides the full bandwidth of the wireless bridge. As you likely also know, When there is a multi hop wireless bridge, and a single radio is used at the hopping point, effective bandwidth is cut in half for all communication back to the main server side wireless point. A second radio (any frequency) used solely at the hop point restores the full bandwidth to the extended wireless data connections. (this by the way is the unadvertised flaw with all the extenders on the market as they are singe radio.)

My question which I didn't find in my quick research was weather the UbiquitI units had a second radio for the bridge from the next hop? Your 100bps, assuming 600mbps 802.11n radios seems like a realistic halved data rate for hopping data, or full data rate for 300bps wireless N link for unhopped.

As an aside, most dual radio routers are dual band which somewhat defeats the flexibility to use as a wireless bridge remote AP. That is using the 2.4ghz longer range radio as the bridge, leaves only the 5ghz radio AP to receive hops or local wireless connections, yet 5ghz isn't prevalent enough to know all extended devices has it.

I concluded that buying two $19 Trendnet wireless N 2.4ghz router/AP was a better solution for the remote location for extended wireless area or hop (vs dual band single device). One would be dedicated bridge back to 'base', and directly wired to the other in the pair serving as the AP (using different channel) for the hop or other local devices. (Plugging it to the Lan side of the 2nd device keeps single dhcp and nat elimination easier to maintain and manage than Wan side imho.) All devices would share the same common full bandwidth of the wireless N link which would only improve with wired remote connectivity back to base or usage of additional radios.

Any suggestions to improving this would be welcome.

Guy
gschlact

Dec 06, 2014 at 11:52 AM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shooting Multiple Camera's & transfer images wirless

Hammy
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Awesome stuff!!

Dec 07, 2014 at 08:25 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shooting Multiple Camera's & transfer images wirless

Guy,
My understanding and experience with the UBNT line that I'm using is that they only operate on one frequency, but dial band at all. So I use then in dedicated pairs, dialing in the frequencies as to not overlap nor interfere with house meshes.
Basically, each pair of radios act as a wire replacement for me, from 100 ft across allot of foot traffic, to 1/4 mile down the convention center.
But by maintaining dedicated pairs, I can keep the full bandwidth that they provide and with their narrower beam, I can get past (or coexist) with other devices (house) on similar frequencies.
We averaged over 600 images per minute coming into my main server for 12+ hours per day quite smoothly.
I'm sure the Trendnets will suffice in your environment, but with dynamic venues every weekend for us, it's nice to be able to direct and dial in exactly what we need when dealing with complex (6+) wireless networks simultaneously.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:48 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shooting Multiple Camera's & transfer images wirless

Hammy,
Thanks for confirming that the Pair was in use.
Also, as you probably likely know, the ubnt software is supposed to make the management a lot easier vs do g it all manually thru individual device connections.
Good stuff,
Guy

Dec 23, 2014 at 01:19 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.