p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monument Valley A step into sunrise

IMG_0249.jpg by eriet30, on Flickr

Edited on Nov 30, 2014 at 12:07 AM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monument Valley A step into sunrise

Sweet picture, Eriet. You should re-size this smaller so everyone can see it.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:53 PM
eriet30
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monument Valley A step into sunrise

Advice taken made smaller. TY

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:07 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monument Valley A step into sunrise

Hi Eriet,

What a nice shot you have here. Good work on it.

For a list of our forum guidelines please check the link at the top of your thread.

Jim

Nov 30, 2014 at 02:05 AM
lightskyland
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monument Valley A step into sunrise

I really enjoy seeing so many of the formations in one frame! I haven't seen that before at MV.

Nov 30, 2014 at 09:15 AM
ChuckLyons

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monument Valley A step into sunrise

Hi Eriet

The shots you posted on Flicker are great . The last three in the series really stand out, 3RD. from the last is my favorite.
Chuck

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:15 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monument Valley A step into sunrise

wow really nice. almost missed the person in the upper right. great touch

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monument Valley A step into sunrise

Paul, what a beautiful scene you captured! Looked at your Flickr collection, you spent quite some time there, and got some wonderful shots. I especially like the ones with Navajo kids, and toddler girl with grandma on a horse are just precious. Did you work with the guide?
On critique part: foreground is pretty bright, and pulls attention away from the grand scene and human figure on the right. My suggestion would be to crop off the lower 1/4th. Also, there is something with the level - either picture is not corrected for wide lens distortion, or simply slightly slanted. Adding warming filter (in PP) would beautify scene further - I rarely see sunrise so bright yellow. In a desert, there is always some amount of dust in the air that causes warmer glow. Your other shots have more natural colors, by the way.

Sasha

Sasha.

Nov 30, 2014 at 02:01 PM
rslhc
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monument Valley A step into sunrise

Great shot. I love the figure on the right. I have mixed feelings on the foreground as well as what Sasha Mentioned. I love the amount of the view that it gives, but it does distract some from the rest of the fantastic image. Perhaps a fake panorama crop would preserve the angle and remove distractions?

Nov 30, 2014 at 03:08 PM
eriet30
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monument Valley A step into sunrise

alatoo60 wrote:
Paul, what a beautiful scene you captured! Looked at your Flickr collection, you spent quite some time there, and got some wonderful shots. I especially like the ones with Navajo kids, and toddler girl with grandma on a horse are just precious. Did you work with the guide?
On critique part: foreground is pretty bright, and pulls attention away from the grand scene and human figure on the right. My suggestion would be to crop off the lower 1/4th. Also, there is something with the level - either picture is not corrected for wide lens distortion, or simply slightly slanted. Adding
...Show more

Not sure about the color. I debated on the foreground but decided i liked it. I was on a trip with the Arizona Professional Photographers Association AzPPA I am not a member but they opened up a waiting list and I was lucky enough to be invited to go. One of the members knows a family that lives in the monument and set the whole thing up. I had been set up this morning just behind where the person is on the right of the photo but just as the sun is rising a tour bus stopped right behind me and everyone piled out and in front of my shot. I was not happy but then again I dont own the monument. I moved to this position and started snapping not even noticing that one of the tour members had entered the shot and in a good position. It was a great trip and spending the day with the Yazzie family was worth more than the photos

Thank you all for the comments

Nov 30, 2014 at 05:53 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.