New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Facebook Copyright Question

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Facebook Copyright Question

I was wondering if anyone has explored the issue of Facebook's overall or even their new rules around placing YOUR pictures on their website in regards to using it for their own advertising use? I place my name and (C) on it with the year (John Smith (C) 2014) imprinted on any photos I post using Lightroom when I convert it to a jpg, and I try not to post very often, but does the copyright afford me any rights or prevent them from stealing the photos?

Also, does someone have to do anything official with the government to copyright their photos or does the act of putting their name and the copyright symbol AND the fact that they took the photo themselves afford them the exclusive rights to that photo, including the rights to prevent a corporation from stealing it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Bill

Nov 29, 2014 at 06:03 PM
jbregar
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Facebook Copyright Question

Whether or not you put a watermark on it, your photos are copyrighted the moment they're taken.

Part of posting to Facebook requires that you give them the rights to reproduce your photos... otherwise they couldn't share them.

As for them using them for advertising, you may be flattering yourself a bit. Other than incidental use in screen shots or something (which would be extremely rare) Facebook can easily afford to hire professional photographers to shoot art for their advertising. They're not going to troll photos of frat boys doing keg stands and family Thanksgivings to snag user photos to use.

Nov 29, 2014 at 07:05 PM
ronfronberg
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Facebook Copyright Question

From facebook's site

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms

2. Sharing Your Content and Information

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

Nov 30, 2014 at 02:16 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Facebook Copyright Question

That seems reasonable given the way that Facebook works and is used.

Nov 30, 2014 at 07:03 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Facebook Copyright Question

By posting less than 300kb images...there's really not much they can do with them.
Cover the side of a bus?? print 24 X 36??...I say 'go for it"

Nov 30, 2014 at 07:41 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Facebook Copyright Question

jbregar wrote:
As for them using them for advertising, you may be flattering yourself a bit. Other than incidental use in screen shots or something (which would be extremely rare) Facebook can easily afford to hire professional photographers to shoot art for their advertising..

Actually, I kind of felt that way (flattering myself) when I wrote that, but only to the extent that if I ever got that really amazing 1 in a million shot, or that shot that went viral, then I would hate to see something I shot and even wrote a copyright on it, to be stolen by FB and used for their own advertising, hence, for their own profit.

But that is true that they're a multi-billion dollar company and they could certainly pay their own advertising businesses to produce much better results than anything they could get from something posted from one of their users, and they would avoid the bad publicity of "stealing it" from their users.

Good points - thanks everyone.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:37 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.