FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · A night in the Devil's Garden

camboman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A night in the Devil's Garden

It was a week past the new moon, so there was enough moonlight to illuminate the rocks. I tried some light painting with a flashlight, but preferred the moonlight and the shadows it produced.

Nikon D610, Zeiss 21mm

Nov 29, 2014 at 05:23 PM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A night in the Devil's Garden

You got quite strong moon beam there!
I prefer the composition of the second, although i'd low down the lighting on those rocks, cause it looks pretty unnatural, i guess i got spoiled with these killer milky way shots on FM too...

:-)
Andrey

Nov 29, 2014 at 05:39 PM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A night in the Devil's Garden

lionking wrote:
You got quite strong moon beam there!
I prefer the composition of the second, although i'd low down the lighting on those rocks, cause it looks pretty unnatural, i guess i got spoiled with these killer milky way shots on FM too...

:-)
Andrey

Andrey, thanks for commenting, here it is with the rock much darker - does this look better?

The milky way photographs not so great the more moonlight is present, but I love the light from the moon for earthbound subjects. I could have dropped in a sky with a killer milky way, but that would have been unnatural.

Thanks,

Michael

Nov 30, 2014 at 01:22 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A night in the Devil's Garden

Hey Michael,

Yeah, I love it when I can light up my starscapes with light from the moon. It's so much more natural feeling. I am pretty sure Andrey wasn't suggesting to past in the Milky Way into these. Most often I try to time my shots so that I take advantage of a moon that's slightly less than full as it's setting. That way it's still a significant light source on the ground, but the eastern horizon is then dark enough to not block out the Milky Way as much. It's an interesting balance.

As for your shots, I do like your edited version of #2 the best here. #1 is cool with the arch, but I really like the composition you found for #2, it's like a beacon to the stars there.

Jim

Nov 30, 2014 at 02:21 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A night in the Devil's Garden

Gorgeous images! I'm definitely liking the darkness of the sky and the deep shadows on the foreground, I can see what others are talking about when they say they don't prefer brighter astro-landscape images. Fantastic work! I'm jealous of that Zeiss 21mm, but I think I'll have to try out the new Nikon 20mm 1.8 G before I make any holiday lens decisions. :-)

=Matt=

Nov 30, 2014 at 04:20 PM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A night in the Devil's Garden

Thanks Jim and Matt. I appreciate you taking time to comment!

It does seem that brightness levels for moonlight images is a matter of personal taste. I thought the first image was truer to the original scene, but others prefer night shots to appear darker. It's all good.

Next year, I'll be using a star tracker to make more of those faint stars visible!

Dec 04, 2014 at 04:29 PM
bktools
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A night in the Devil's Garden

The first image is incredible, in all respects. Powerful composition.

Bob

Dec 04, 2014 at 04:39 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A night in the Devil's Garden

Nice job here!

Especially on Metate. I think it wont be around in 5 years. It is very fragile, eroding sandstone that even has a crack in it. I go to DG maybe 6+X a year and it seems every time I go the entire place has changed. Maybe not every time, but certainly every thine it rains! This last monsoon season really changed the place. So, I am glad you got something historical. I also feel it will only be time before someone stupid tries to walk across it, and it will not hold. This next year I am going to target it a little more, before that happens. I predicted the Cape Kiwanda arch falling soon, and it fell about a year later. It too was fragile, made from sandstone and had a crack and people tried walking across it from time to time...

Dec 04, 2014 at 06:42 PM
ChrisKayler
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A night in the Devil's Garden

I like the one with the arch quite a bit. The moonlight is really beautiful and the angle of the moon is perfect to accentuate the shape of the arch ... particularly along the curve at the skinniest part. Beautiful! The sky seems very, very natural in color and brightness. Well done all around.

Dec 05, 2014 at 10:43 PM
kellyakinsart
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A night in the Devil's Garden

Beautiful shots. I really love the design of the first one.

Kelly

Dec 06, 2014 at 01:42 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A night in the Devil's Garden

Lovely shots. Those formations are perfect against that sky.

Dec 06, 2014 at 01:54 AM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A night in the Devil's Garden

Fantastic! I love that first image - great composition and exposure!
Keith W.

Dec 06, 2014 at 03:49 PM
jord217
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A night in the Devil's Garden

Awesome work. I like the revised #2 also. I stopped by there a few months ago and walked around at night. It's so cool seeing all of those crazy rocks lit up by the moon. To echo what Mark said, I do think that arch is going to fall sooner than later. It seems to be common practice for people to stand on top of that thing. Somebody will probably meet an unfortunate end.

Dec 06, 2014 at 05:38 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A night in the Devil's Garden

Excellent set Michael. I like #1 the most.

Dec 07, 2014 at 02:09 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A night in the Devil's Garden

Fantastic Michael! Exposure, colors...tremendous!! Well done compositions!
Dan

Dec 07, 2014 at 11:20 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.