FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Recommend your host 2014

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommend your host 2014

Please, if you can recommend a host to me that would be most appreciated.

By recommend, I don't mean 'this is okay and cheap'

I mean 'this is awesome, surpassed my expectations, is really quick, they're top people'

My only extra note would be they really need to be able to accept .co.uk domains, but feel free to just share and I can filter that out myself.

Thanks guys!

Nov 29, 2014 at 03:11 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommend your host 2014

Cant you buy the domain here, host there and then link them so the host even not selling co.uk may just need the DNS numbers !!

I dont know

Nov 29, 2014 at 03:47 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommend your host 2014

i started using wpengine.com this year. it's about $30/month but it's super fast, has really great automatic backup-points and stuff too so you can easily revert your website if you accidentally break it. it was recommended to me by a savvy web-developer friend of mine. it might be overkill for small businesses like photographers, but it's been really, reliable and quite fast relative to my old host (Dreamhost). I get my domain through a different service so jmraso is correct--you don't need to purchase a domain from them.

Nov 29, 2014 at 04:00 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommend your host 2014

jmraso wrote:
Cant you buy the domain here, host there and then link them so the host even not selling co.uk may just need the DNS numbers !!

I dont know

We'll just for reference bluehost cannot host co.uk domains. Just a tiny detail

Nov 29, 2014 at 04:04 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommend your host 2014

I've been using lunarpages for a long time. Been very happy with them.

Nov 29, 2014 at 04:09 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommend your host 2014

ok

ricardovaste wrote:

Nov 29, 2014 at 04:15 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommend your host 2014

site5.com

Nov 29, 2014 at 04:44 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommend your host 2014

I have never used WP engine but know many who use them for client hosting and they are good. Because I have more than 1 site the cost is too much for me. I use Site Ground. When I moved my site my load speed went from 6 seconds to under 2 and that is without the cachet feature activated. I had to turn off to build more pages. They are worth a look.

Nov 30, 2014 at 02:04 PM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recommend your host 2014

I've used Fasthosts for over 10 years. I'll admit there have been a few hiccups of late but on the whole the service has been excellent and truly open 24 hours for technical support.

For example I wanted to switch my server from Windows to Linux because its not possible to do 301 redirects on Windows with Fasthosts unless you sort out your own scripts but Linux is OK. I was in secure message communication with them last night and they were answering pretty much straight away and taking the actions needed.

They are in Gloucester so you don't get any potential SEO issues with a host being in a different country to yourself.

The current package you would probably go for is called Business Gold. Why? Unlimited space; load balancing (keeps speed up in times of high demand on your site), Microsoft Exchange email service with 25gb mailbox size (enabling you to have all your email devices synced in Outlook); quick setup with Wordpress if you're into that; MySQL databases. £12pm including sales tax.

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/web-hosting/?t=panel-hosting

Pete

Nov 30, 2014 at 03:07 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recommend your host 2014

I'm using MediaTemple in conjunction with maxCDN. Very happy with them.

Nov 30, 2014 at 06:10 PM
GillR
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recommend your host 2014

ricardovaste wrote:

I know this thread is a few weeks old but thought it worth putting this here in case anyone else finds it, like I did, when searching for feedback about Bluehost.

I think you'll find that although Bluehost can't register a uk domain for you, as long as you have one already registered with a UK Registrant (eg 123Reg), it's a simple matter to change the nameservers to Bluehost's. They have a FAQ that addresses it here

I've done this before with a different USA based host and a .co.uk domain and am about to sign up with Bluehost myself

Jan 17, 2015 at 02:12 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recommend your host 2014

www.site5.com
I've had them for about 4-5 years now with very minimal issues.

Jan 17, 2015 at 02:52 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recommend your host 2014

ckhagen wrote:
www.site5.com
I've had them for about 4-5 years now with very minimal issues.

+1

I've had site5.com for about 11 years now. No issues....unlimited sites and unlimited bandwidth for like $13/mo

Jan 17, 2015 at 06:45 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recommend your host 2014

I haven't had any issues in 2+ years with Hostgator.

Jan 17, 2015 at 07:01 PM
Ryan Britton
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recommend your host 2014

If you're capable of doing your own configuration, DigitalOcean has been great and very fast even at the $5/mo plan.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:50 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recommend your host 2014

I've recently gone over to hostgator. I had to unsubscribe from getting spam and pretty sure I ticked off not to receive any but otherwise the experience has been good so far and the support has been prompt and helpful.

I was with Yahoo since 1999 prior to that. Not a lot of issues for most of that time but support when needed was useless. Most request for help went on deaf ears and usually when you did get a reply it was a form letter that had zero to do with the actual problem but when you wrote back another idiot would send you the same form response.

In the end my site was taking over a minute to load. I have a friend hosting with them still having similar load issues.

I have not closed the yahoo account down as yet as I am still going through files I want to keep but yahoo seems to think it is ok to go in and swap out my favicon for theirs now my main site is on hostgator. I have swapped it back several times but they keep going in and changing it back over.

All this to say don't touch yahoo but that is probably obvious to most.

Hostgator, so good so far. Only issue Contact Form 7 stopped working suddenly but I am not certain that is a problem with the host. Then again I cannot work out why it would just stop working either. 3 forms just no longer work so had to switch contact form plugin.

Jan 18, 2015 at 06:50 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.