Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

I have LR in a 120GB SSD with 90GB of free space and 40GB of cache in a velociraptor drive and it crop/rotates nearly instantly if it helps !!

Dec 02, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

Have you tried using smartpreviews and taking the original files offline while editing?

This will force LR to work with the reduced files while you are editing.

Just make sure to bring the originals back online when exporting.

I don't use a MAC but 3-5 seconds per image for a crop sounds really slow. But I do find that doing things in batches speeds things up a bit.

For example:
1) Cull and make flag selections in the library module first - this is faster than the develop module.

2) Do edits on the develop module from the flagged images but I don't crop because I do find that jumping back and force from the crop tool slows things down - I find the same thing for the Radial Filter & Gradual filters - jumping back and force for those filters really slows the computer down - just leave them in those modes as you move between the photos.

3) After the edit adjustments - then I do the crops - I leave the system in crop mode as I move to through the images. (You could do the crops first - then do the edit adjustments - fielder's choice) - same if you want to use the radial & gradual filters.

That's my 2 cents.

Dec 02, 2014 at 01:39 PM
mci2727
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

thebeginning wrote:
UPDATE:

I put a wedding in its own catalog, and increased my cache to 35gb in the settings.

STILL having to wait 5-10 seconds when cropping/rotating an image by itself, after restarting the imac and having no other applications open.

I only have ~50gb space free on my SSD - is it possible that's the cause?

Have you tried renaming that file that a couple guys have already mentioned? That was the hinge pin for me a year ago or so.

Dec 02, 2014 at 04:10 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

thebeginning wrote:
UPDATE:

I put a wedding in its own catalog, and increased my cache to 35gb in the settings.

STILL having to wait 5-10 seconds when cropping/rotating an image by itself, after restarting the imac and having no other applications open.

I only have ~50gb space free on my SSD - is it possible that's the cause?

Is your hard drive getting full? I might also try uninstalling CC and reinstalling.

Dec 02, 2014 at 04:15 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

Have you tried disabling smart previews?

Dec 02, 2014 at 04:44 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

Couple more questions:
Have you renamed the preference file?

What size of SSD? 128 gig?
Do you have a program like ccleaner to clear out web tracking crap? Not sure if necessary on a mac.

You are on a mac ... it should be pretty smooth operation.
Are you running other apps in the background that is taking resources?

Dec 02, 2014 at 05:38 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

I've removed all the modules leaving just library and develop. LR runs faster now. In the plugins folder, create new folder and move to it bookmodule, location, print, slideshow and web (if you don't use this functions of course). Then remove this modules from the original list. Worked for me.

Dec 03, 2014 at 05:35 AM
rsq1

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

Ziffl3 wrote:
Couple more questions:
Have you renamed the preference file?

I've got a Mac, where do I find the said preference file?

Dec 03, 2014 at 10:37 AM
rsq1

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

WNStudio wrote:
I've removed all the modules leaving just library and develop. LR runs faster now. In the plugins folder, create new folder and move to it bookmodule, location, print, slideshow and web (if you don't use this functions of course). Then remove this modules from the original list. Worked for me.

Does this work for a Mac?
Where exactly do I find the plugins folder and the bookmodule, location etc files?

Dec 03, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

rsq1 wrote:
I've got a Mac, where do I find the said preference file?

Look through this thread.

basically search for %appdata%.

Dec 03, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Josh Jones
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

Takes me around 45 minutes to cull down from 2000 images, then another 3-4 hours to edit everything and pick the blog images.

Dec 03, 2014 at 02:06 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

The Beginning - the slow cropping is a 5K iMac + LR issue. I have the riMac and have the same issue and it's been mentioned by other users on both MacRumors and Adobe's own LR forums. 5.7 improved things but only very marginally in my experience. All other functions work fine in development but the crop speed is an issue.

Sure the 5K display is a monster but the attached computer is also pretty powerful so in my view this is a LR issue which I hope they'll address in time. I'd urge you to head over to the Adobe forums, search for iMac 5K and crop on the LR sub forum and add your own experiences. The more reports they get the more likely they are to address this.

I have noticed one other issue and this is slideshows. The slideshow module can't seem to do a transition properly on the 5K. It's jerky as f**k. Again, not a problem in other software so I put this down to LR.

I've heard time and again that LR can't harness the power of the GPU due to the sort of tasks it's doing but I call bullshit on this. If Adobe engineers wanted to pull their fingers out I'm confident they can leverage a lot more hardware muscle. Take the crop/rotate tool. This is a simple transform operation on agrapjoc. Surely this is something a GPU should excel at. I'm no programmer but I still call bullshit on the naysaying re: the lack of GPU leveraging in LR. I really wish Adobe were more forward thinking with how the harness available hardware. They've always been quite conservative in this regard across their product line and as a creative software firm it's pretty disappointing.

But yeah, the issue you're experiencing is directly related to massive screen + LR IMHO.

P.S. When I first got my machine I ran a bunch of tests but didn't actually edit in earnest for a week or so. It wasn't until I got fully into a wedding edit that I noticed the issue.

Dec 03, 2014 at 07:00 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Lightroom Workflow / Speed?

Does this work for a Mac?
Where exactly do I find the plugins folder and the bookmodule, location etc files?

Works. In the programs folder, right click on lightroom and then show content (or something like that- I work on Polish version- second from top, there you will find plugins. Here's how to do it- in polish, but you'll understand with no problem.

#t=261

Watch from min 2.00, you'll skip all the talking.

Dec 04, 2014 at 01:16 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.