Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Redundant 250GB SSD - Uses?

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Redundant 250GB SSD - Uses?

Hi. Apart from mailing it for free to one of you guys, how can I best use a spare 250GB in my system? I'd like LR to be able to make good use of it as LR is my most-used program. LR Previews or something?

Running OS X I already have a 250GB SSD as boot, and Caviar Blacks for storage, along with Win 8 on a separate Intel SSD. And I already have SSD's in my 600 other computers.

But this 250GB SSD is lying around - redundant. Scratch? I don't do that much in PS or FCP X.

Confused...

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Redundant 250GB SSD - Uses?

What you suggest is what I do. I have a high-end SSD for my boot/system drive and another, slightly cheaper, SSD that I use for caches, scratch, and previews. Actual images are on normal hard disks.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:41 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Redundant 250GB SSD - Uses?

Thanks Eyeball, I'll look into it.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:16 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Redundant 250GB SSD - Uses?

There seem to be conflicting opinions on the efficacy of drive speed with LR, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to use it as a scratch drive to house the LR catalogue and "incoming" images that you are sorting and editing.

Or you could sell it and use the money to buy something you *do* want...

Nov 30, 2014 at 03:26 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Redundant 250GB SSD - Uses?

Thanks. I just set it as a cache drive for PS and LR with previews and backups on it. I'll see how LR seems over the next few days.

Nov 30, 2014 at 03:36 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Redundant 250GB SSD - Uses?

Keep it as a spare in case of unexpected and untimely failures. I always have a few 960/1TB spare SSDs, along with spare 4TB and 6TB HDDs, 2.5" drives, etc.

EBH

Nov 30, 2014 at 07:14 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Redundant 250GB SSD - Uses?

Paul Mo wrote:
Thanks. I just set it as a cache drive for PS and LR with previews and backups on it. I'll see how LR seems over the next few days.

Put the Lr catalogue and ACR cache on there too - not just the Lr previews. When or if you run low on space, shift the backups to another drive.

Depending on brand and model you might benefit from a firmware upgrade in the SSD.

- Alan

Nov 30, 2014 at 09:59 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Redundant 250GB SSD - Uses?

EB-1 wrote:
Keep it as a spare in case of unexpected and untimely failures. I always have a few 960/1TB spare SSDs, along with spare 4TB and 6TB HDDs, 2.5" drives, etc.

EBH

I will quite happily hold onto a 'spare' 1tb SSD for you

Nov 30, 2014 at 09:59 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Redundant 250GB SSD - Uses?

Well, you know Murphy's law that stuff always fails on Saturday or some other bad time.

EBH

Nov 30, 2014 at 02:18 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.