Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2014 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

Vataga
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

Nikon D810 at 6ave for $2299.99 (REMINDER!!! READ BEFOR BYUING!!!)
Ebay's 6ave has the Nikon D810 (body only) w/ 1-Year Seller Warranty for a low $2299.99 with free shipping. Tax in NJ.

Seller Warranty: Yes. Import Model w/1-Year USA Warranty by seller
Note About Packaging: Camera comes in a retail kit box, Lens was removed
Seller Warranty Coverage: Manufacturer defects same as manufacturer warranty

Nikon D810 for $2299 at Ebay

-----
Reminder: Read before buying:
There is a possibility that this camera is a gray market product.

Nov 29, 2014 at 03:24 AM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

Holy crap

Nov 29, 2014 at 03:49 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

I've purchased from them in the past with no issues. They aren't a Nikon authorized reseller so it will be an import or at least treated like an import without the proper receipt from an authorized reseller. For those who insure their own equipment it matters less.

Edited on Dec 01, 2014 at 01:47 PM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2014 at 06:16 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

I've bought form them too. Guess what, the Nikon camera lasted long after the one year warranty (no surprise there). D3, used it daily for 3 years and it's still clicking for a friend who bought it from me.

Nov 29, 2014 at 06:35 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

It's a great deal but keep in mind it's not just a warranty issue but a service issue - Nikon USA will not work on these bodies even out of warranty and none of the third-party Nikon-authorized service centers can either because they're not supplied parts by Nikon USA. That essentially means there is no way to get the body repaired in the USA right now, esp if it requires parts. That may change in the future as it did for the D800 but third-parties still can't work on D600/D610 so it also might not. You can use this link to see which vendors are authorized/supplied to work on a particular model.

Nov 29, 2014 at 06:49 AM
patriot
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

If you read their ratings you'll see many accusations of shipping items that are not new and unopened. You will also see where they have not sold a D810 in the last 6 months. It any high end camera. Most of the positive ratings are for low end items. Therefor you would be taking a $2,200 gamble on a product that is likely not only gray market, i.e. no warranty, and a " sold and returned" camera.

Nov 29, 2014 at 06:58 AM
rittrato
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

Wow. Crazy

Nov 29, 2014 at 09:03 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

One has to wonder where & how they are finding these while B&H etc. can not.

Kent in SD

Nov 29, 2014 at 09:17 AM
rittrato
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

I do remember purchasing something from them. It was for a set of aftermarket batteries, and it took3 weeks to arrive (NJ- Virginia)

Nov 29, 2014 at 09:45 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

Two23 wrote:

Kent in SD

Might be from the Japanese market. The Dollar/Yen ratio is currently $118.64, so the currency exchange alone yields a discount of $615 USD.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:03 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

I saw someone post this on Twitter. I'm currently watching it on eBay, but after reading some of the posts on here, I think I'm going to pass. The price is great, but I'd rather not be burned for $2,300. I'll hold off for B&H, Adorama or even Nikon USA to run a promotion after the new year on refurb'd bodies while I hold on to my D800.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:24 AM
patriot
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

So with the exchange rate that get you to a retail of $2,685 USD, roughly. Then there's shipping to the US. Perhaps they work off a lower margin? But $2,300 retail?

There's gray market, which at more, ahem, "traditional" resellers seems to be around a 10 - 15% discount vs. US.

And then there's this deal. The kind of deal Vatega seems to like to make sure we know about (link below).

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1331223/0#12699279

Makes me kind of suspicious when you read so many comments on Ebay where buyers complain that the "new and unopened" item they received was not so.

Also suspicious when a "new and unopened" item pointedly does not list what's in the box. Like batteries, charger, etc. Is this perhaps one of those a la carte propositions? To me, gray market does not also mean "empty box": it should be essentially the same contents as the USA market version, just a different warranty, languages, etc.

Curious too when you cannot find any comments from buyers who have purchased D750's, D8X0's, D6X0;s, etc from them?

Now, if I were a suspicious person, I'd wonder if these products are more than simply purchased legitimately overseas, and the exchange rate savings passed on to us consumers. Are they returns? Damaged? Fell off the truck?

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:24 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

Two23 wrote:

Kent in SD

B&H being an authorized dealer has to follow the "MAP" rules. Nikon releases these bodies as gray market to reduce supply and cut warranty costs. I believe Thom Hogan posted an article on this before.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:26 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

patriot wrote:
So with the exchange rate that get you to a retail of $2,685 USD, roughly. Then there's shipping to the US. Perhaps they work off a lower margin? But $2,300 retail?

There's gray market, which at more, ahem, "traditional" resellers seems to be around a 10 - 15% discount vs. US.

And then there's this deal. The kind of deal Vatega seems to like to make sure we know about (link below).

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1331223/0#12699279

Makes me kind of suspicious when you read so many comments on Ebay where buyers complain that the "new and unopened" item they received was not so.

Also suspicious when
...Show more

I've bought several grey-market cameras from NJ/NY eBay sellers and in all cases I received a brand-new body with all the expected accessories, so my personal experience has been good (so far at least). If you do a google search there have been instances where people have received obviously-used items from the big reputable USA dealers as well. I think the bigger risk here is the ability to get the body serviced rather than getting a used body or one missing an accessory.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

VinnieJ wrote:
B&H being an authorized dealer has to follow the "MAP" rules. Nikon releases these bodies as gray market to reduce supply and cut warranty costs. I believe Thom Hogan posted an article on this before.

i think you should reference that article.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:39 AM
patriot
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

Yes, we hear of instances where a big seller sometime ships a return as new. While we don't have the actual numbers, when you read their reviews, the ratio of this seems much lower than with some of these other, shall we say, less glorified, resellers.

But the big difference is, when these occasions occur with say B&H, Adorama, or Amazon, these are USA warranty items. So even if you decided to keep the item, it has a USA warranty with an authorized reseller's sales receipt showing it was sold to you as new. And if you don't want to keep it, B&H and company always seem willing to do an immediate no questions asked return.

Given Nikon's recent track record with DSLR's, would you want to have, lets say, a gray market D750 if, in 6 months or a year, Nikon acknowledges a problem, and authorizes a free warranty repair?

snapsy wrote:
I've bought several grey-market cameras from NJ/NY eBay sellers and in all cases I received a brand-new body with all the expected accessories, so my personal experience has been good (so far at least). If you do a google search there have been instances where people have received obviously-used items from the big reputable USA dealers as well. I think the bigger risk here is the ability to get the body serviced rather than getting a used body or one missing an accessory.

Edited on Nov 29, 2014 at 11:17 AM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:58 AM
patriot
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

VinnieJ wrote:

I would phrase this a little different: Nikon does not sell "gray market" product; rather, it sells the same product in packages that are intended to be sold in various markets around the globe.

It does not release gray market items to reduce inventory; they build inventory for the markets they intend to sell the item in. Many factors impact the final COGS for a market, including the cost of warranty. Every country has different laws regarding warranty, so it may be a savings in one market because Nikon's warranty liability may be lower than in another market. Nikon's marketing costs may also be lower proportionally to sales in one market vs. another.

But Nikon does not release gray market items for sale in the US. Rather, the reseller is buying them from another market, essentially going around Nikon's authorized importer (in this case, Nikon USA), and importing them themselves.

Nothing wrong with that. Dollar stores do it all the time, and you can often find name brand product made for India in the USA because in India they use English on the packaging. Sometimes it is the exact same item as sold in the US. Sometimes it is a smaller size. But sometimes it is not the same item.

But manufactures are under no obligation to warranty that item in the US.

Nikon clearly states they will not warranty a gray market item in the USA. They go even further and clearly state they will not service at all, even if you want to pay for it.

And without a receipt from a seller in the country for which the item is warrantied in, you won't get any help if you sent it to Nikon's repair center for the country it is warrantied in. Even if you could find which country your gray market item is warrantied in.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:15 AM
rittrato
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

If only Nikon is as lenient as Canon in terms of repair with gray items, this would be worth the risk. But considering Nikon's known QC issues this is a hard pill to swallow even at a $1000 discount rate.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:38 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hot Deal: Nikon D810 for $2299!

sjms wrote:
i think you should reference that article.

If I run into it again I'll post it.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:59 AM