New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · MAJOR problem with Card malfunction

AgentM
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MAJOR problem with Card malfunction

Hi everyone....

I was hoping that you guys could help me. I just came back from a shoot and tried to upload images
from a CF Sandisc card.

It seems that the images got corrupted on the card. Here are some details:

- On the camera it says 'cannot play back image'
- I cannot copy files from the card since on my pc it says 'write protection' for each file, which I cannot see
- Light room wont see the files
- I tried a recovery software - it will copy files to a folder but lightroom will still not see or generate a preview.
- Lightroom 5 says preview unavailable for this file
- I tried renaming the files on disc without success
- One strange thing is that the files names on the card when I view it in a folder is identical as the previous card that was in the camera. Same number of files....same naming.

I fear that the files are lost...and really hope someone can help me.

Cheers!
Henk

Nov 28, 2014 at 08:10 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MAJOR problem with Card malfunction

Go to Sandisk's website and download their file recovery program. Hopefully that will work for you...

Nov 28, 2014 at 08:20 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MAJOR problem with Card malfunction

Good luck. File recovery programs do not always work.

Nov 28, 2014 at 09:15 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MAJOR problem with Card malfunction

One thing you might want to do first is to look carefully at the pin holes on the card to make sure there are not signs of damage (scratches in the plastic where bent pins hit the plastic surrounding the holes). Use a strong light to make seeing this easier. If there are scratches in the plastic you need to inspect the camera and card reader for bent pins.

File recovery programs generally work if the problem is that the file allocation table got corrupted or other corruption such as the ROOT or BOOT software, and the files have not been subsequently written over. These are the most common problem these cards experience.

Perhaps the next most common problem is that the controller experiences a hardware failure. (Also - solder connections can fail, traces on printed circuit boards can fail). These are things that recovery software cannot deal with. Files on a card with a controller fault which have not been overwritten can still be recovered by those with the proper equipment. (The card needs to be opened, the bad controller bypassed and a good controller substituted in its place).

First call SanDisk to see what they say. (I have experience with Lexar Pro cards, but not with SanDisk). If the card is an Extreme or Extreme Pro card the SanDisk technical support people (call 1-866-270-5532) should be able to offer some suggestions. With Lexar Pro cards, if the data is not recoverable by the user Lexar will attempt to recover the data. I had two Lexar cards from a bad lot that experienced controller failures. Lexar was able to recover all of the photos off of each card (abet it did take quite a number of weeks for this to happen). So if the card is an Extreme or Extreme Pro card ask if SanDisk has a similar service.

If SanDisk won't work to recover the photos, and you are willing to pay to have them recovered, other companies can provide this service. Its often in the $300 to $500 price range. I don't have any personal experience with these companies:
- www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com
- http://www.lc-tech.com/photorecovery.asp

Jim

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:43 AM
AgentM
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MAJOR problem with Card malfunction

Thank you Jim and others for your help. I have tried some software without success. However I have not tried contacting Sandisk.

Photoshop does complain and say the files are corrupted.. I will see if they can help me.

Nov 29, 2014 at 05:20 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MAJOR problem with Card malfunction

Recovery software works when the FAT (file allocation table) has been corrupted. This usually happens because the card was removed from the camera before the camera was finished writing to the card. The software bypasses the FAT and will find any files that have not been overwritten. If you have not filled up the card, you might find files from months or years ago. These files will be present even if you have formatted the card. Formatting just marks the parts of the disk as being free to write to. Formatting (the sort your camera does) does not erase anything, A program I have had good luck with is Image Recall. A company that has been both reliable and inexpensive is called Flashfixers.
http://www.flashfixers.com/ I'm sure that, if the controller is damaged, the cost will be greater. Sandisk has free (I think) software that will work with their cards. Good Luck!!

Nov 29, 2014 at 07:37 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.