New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Reflecting

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reflecting

Going solo with a cleaned up re-work and suggested crop - does this stand on its own?

I rather like the vertical lines juxtaposed to chair back, inclination of torso, and crook of the arm. But then I am biased

Thanks,

Bob

Nov 28, 2014 at 05:30 PM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reflecting

Hello Bob

How about a different style like this......

Nov 29, 2014 at 02:54 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reflecting

Almass wrote:
Hello Bob

How about a different style like this......

Thanks for the alternative view - maybe a little too much but I do like the approach.

A milder version using a Tri-X preset from PhotoEffects 8.

Your thoughts? Looks to me as if the tonal range (skin tones/DR in particular) is better than my original version. Glad you've led me there

Bob

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reflecting

Hi Bob. I like it for it's value as a "slice of life" shot. Dignified. I have no problem with the original processing-it's what I call "honest". Nothing extreme or artsy just a good solid B/W shot with nothing hidden.

Ultimately I believe this type of shot will increase in value with time. Just like we value the quite ordinary shots from 40, 50, 100 years ago one day this shot will be more appreciated. Notice the "technology" of the CRT (even nowadays "old fashioned" lol) and the VCR/SAT.

Some day your "kid's kids" will be like WOW I can't believe you guys used to use stuff like that...

Nice shot.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reflecting

Bob Jarman wrote:
Thanks for the alternative view - maybe a little too much but I do like the approach.

A milder version using a Tri-X preset from PhotoEffects 8.

Your thoughts? Looks to me as if the tonal range (skin tones/DR in particular) is better than my original version. Glad you've led me there

Bob

Your welcome.

Your second image is much better than the first.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reflecting

Agree ^

The second image is much stronger...

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:07 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reflecting

Tri-X is a classic film. Rending an image like Tri-X is a classic choice. Works here.

Nov 29, 2014 at 01:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Reflecting

+1 @ Karen ... some things transcend time for a reason.

My pref would be to selectively split the diff a bit so the lower values don't seem quite as "blocky". The OP seems to have a more "genteel" (less stark) vibe. I think the decision which way to go lies in the message you want to leave for posterity regarding the personality of the subject. What is it about this man that you want to show others?

Telephone game ... revised to family gathering looking at an album or shoebox of pics.

"You should have known your great, great grandfather. He was such a ... man." Fill in the blanks and there's your clues @ how to process toward your message.

Nov 29, 2014 at 02:28 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Reflecting

AuntiPode wrote:
Tri-X is a classic film. Rending an image like Tri-X is a classic choice. Works here.

Thanks everyone,

I can't help but smile at the irony - 40-50 years ago we were using Acufine, Microdol-X and their brethren in attempts to produce as fine a grain as possible; now, and perhaps contrary to popular flow, we struggle to introduce fine grain in digital imagery to replicate the film aesthetic. In this case, I much prefer the film replication, such as it is.

Thanks again,

Bob

Nov 29, 2014 at 05:39 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Reflecting

Mongrel wrote:
Hi Bob. I like it for it's value as a "slice of life" shot. Dignified. I have no problem with the original processing-it's what I call "honest". Nothing extreme or artsy just a good solid B/W shot with nothing hidden.

Ultimately I believe this type of shot will increase in value with time. Just like we value the quite ordinary shots from 40, 50, 100 years ago one day this shot will be more appreciated. Notice the "technology" of the CRT (even nowadays "old fashioned" lol) and the VCR/SAT.

Some day your "kid's kids" will be like WOW I can't believe you
...Show more

Thanks for your thoughts!

A bit OT but last week I stumbled upon a link to a video in which several, probably middle school-aged youth, were provided film cameras from maybe 10, 15 years ago, and asked if they could figure out how to use them. They eventually figured it out, with guidance, (You mean you have to move this! Where are the batteries? - film advance lever) but were incredulous about having (1) printed images, (2) having to send film out for developing, and (3) having to a) wait and b) pay for the experience. Humorous, but at the same time time sad in a way - makes one consider how our society would struggle to survive should technology and electronic gadgets ever be rendered unusable. In my mind, not a pretty picture.

Bob

Nov 29, 2014 at 05:47 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.