New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Gitzo 1 Series Traveler

Patrick Cox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gitzo 1 Series Traveler

I am looking for a smaller travel/hiking tripod for use with a mirrorless system. My current tripod is an older Gitzo 2-series and I was looking at the 4 section Gitzo traveler 1 series tripods. Like the GT1542T or GT1544T. Please comment if you have experience with one of these or similar tripods.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759477-REG/Gitzo_GT1542T_Series_1_Traveler_6x.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/900511-REG/Gitzo_GT1544T_Traveler_Tripod.html

Thanks

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gitzo 1 Series Traveler

Both good tripods, I had the 1541T but replaced it with a Benro equivalent after some parallel use (height specs were better on the Benro) but you'll be fine with the 1544T.

Amazon and B&H currently have the 1544T on rebate discount for $450 until the end of the year. At B&H the rebate comes in the form of a pre-paid debit Visa card. If you buy from Amazon a check comes in the mail which is more convenient.

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gitzo 1 Series Traveler

I have the 4-section one and love traveling with it! Even with a small ball head attached it still fits in my carry-on and holds my 6D and 24-70 4L like a champ. The only negative I experienced is the legs are so skinny the twist locks are hard to grip and turn compared to my larger tripods.

Nov 28, 2014 at 01:16 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gitzo 1 Series Traveler

Gochugogi wrote:
I have the 4-section one and love traveling with it! Even with a small ball head attached it still fits in my carry-on and holds my 6D and 24-70 4L like a champ. The only negative I experienced is the legs are so skinny the twist locks are hard to grip and turn compared to my larger tripods.

Thanks for your post. Which ballhead do you use?

Dec 02, 2014 at 07:46 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gitzo 1 Series Traveler

I like my series 1 Traveler too. Gitz is the shitz.

Dec 02, 2014 at 09:32 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gitzo 1 Series Traveler

I use a Gitzo G1177M ball head converted to arca via RRS B2 Pro clamp. If I didn't already own that ball head I probably would have gone for one of the smaller RRS ball heads.

Dec 02, 2014 at 10:48 PM
dlabrecque
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gitzo 1 Series Traveler

I have a 1540, and it works fine with my D4 and most short lenses. Not very suitable for high wind conditions or anything longer than 105mm, however. While I've perched a 70-200 on it, I wouldn't recommend it. The heavier the weight, the more susceptible it is to vibration and wind load. For a mirrorless setup it should be plenty sturdy. I use an RRS BH-40 head with it. While the legs are capable of folding back over the head, if you plan on doing that, make sure the head is small enough in base diameter to accomplish this. No way a BH-40 is going to manage that, but the cameras I put on it are pretty beefy and I needed a head that matched the gear I was using. I simply bought a small Giottos monopod bag for this rig, which works just fine.

Don

Edited on Dec 03, 2014 at 03:09 PM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2014 at 11:24 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gitzo 1 Series Traveler

Patrick Cox wrote:
Which ballhead do you use?

If you want to fold the legs back over the center column and have them parallel to it you'll need a ballhead with an outside diameter of <=50mm and that includes the ball housing as well as the base. The Markins Q3T and Photo Clam 33NS meet this requirement. Going slightly bigger to a 53mm OD, the Acratech GP-ss and RRS BH-40 are both good heads. The Acratech gives you leveling capability and is designed for extreme environments but its shape may be unsuitable for traveler foldback designs. The Sirui K-20X has a 54mm diameter base but is also well regarded.

All of these are decent quality ballheads, I used a Q3T on mine and they are popular as they were designed for the Gitzo traveler.

Dec 03, 2014 at 08:41 AM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gitzo 1 Series Traveler

Another question on this - I am looking at some of the older used models like 1541T and 1540T. Are there any significant advantages to the more recent 1542T/1544T models over these? Thx

Dec 03, 2014 at 08:27 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gitzo 1 Series Traveler

The top-tier tripod brands hold their value pretty well. Gitzo have improved their models again over the last couple of years with redesigned bases, improved adhesives, stiffer CF tubing etc. The current models are considered to be better than their predecessors. Given the current rebate, I'd buy this model new rather than used.

Dec 04, 2014 at 09:14 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.